Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-02-04, 01:33
Registered Member

Plan: body opus
Stats: 166/131/125 Male 68"
BF:10%
Progress: 85%
Default Absorbtion of glucose drinks PW

Just curious.... After your depletion workout do you guys drink your glucose drink fast and all at once or do you take lil sips until its done? Would the rate you drink your PW shake make a difference in the absorbtion or is this not really all that important.

I was reading up on this, and the article I read highly recommends taking Maltodextrin with your Dextrose/Whey PW shake to make way more effective but it wasnt refering to these circumstances in a CKD diet......I cut and pasted a peice of the article from another site; Check it out guys...whats your opinion?

How to Make and Take the Post-Workout Recovery Super Shake!

Thus far, we have covered the basic ingredients for making the optimal post-exercise anabolic cocktail. Now let’s cover the tactics endorsed for getting the most out of these nutrients.

It is vitally important to restrict the rate at which we consume our post-workout meal. Even though our bodies can administer nutrients more effectively at this time more so than any other time, it is still very possible to overload our body’s capacity to digest.

I consider an over-induced digestion of the post-workout meal as one of the leading causes of excess fat storages during a bulking stage.

Let me explain…

Our goal is to get a steady flow of nutrients during the potent “window of opportunity” post-training. I believe an overproduction of insulin, resulting from an overly rapid consumption of simple carbs, is the reason for a lot of the typical “bulking phase chub” we all hate.

As you consume your post-exercise meal, contemplate your energy levels over the next hour. It’s of the utmost significance that your energy levels do not go down at all during the post-workout period.

If they do that means this flow of nutrients has been disturbed. Two things can offset this flow:

1. Your blood glucose levels are dropping, meaning you aren’t getting enough nutrients when your body needs them.

2. Your blood glucose levels rose too quickly! As a result of this your body secretes an overload of insulin to get rid of the blood glucose. What happens as a result of this overload? Some of it will go to start protein synthesis, but most of it gets converted to fat. Remember, excess glucose goes to fat.

To make matters worse, your blood glucose levels begin to drop and you go back into a catabolic condition. So not only are you catabolic but you gain fat! WHOA! That’s the very opposite of what we want!

To protect against either of the above two scenarios consume your shake at a slower rate. Your post-workout meal should be taken over the course of a 45 to 60 minute period.

This cushioning effect will ensure a better processing job of the nutrients consumed. As a general rule of thumb, consume half of your meal immediately, and sip on the rest over the 45 to 60 minute time frame.

Another major factor we need to consider is our water intake post-workout.

I recommend one to two liters of water over this 45-60 minute period.

Water is vital to carbohydrate storage. If we intend to replenish our glycogen stores post-exercise, water needs to be our greatest ally.

However, just like consuming simple carbs too rapidly post-workout can cause an overproduction of insulin, so too overly rapid intake of water post-workout is detrimental to our goals.

An overly induced intake of water causes the blood pressure to rise excessively, sending a signal to the brain that stops the secretion of a hormone called ADH, which causes the body to secrete more water than normal. The hydration process is much more efficient by consuming small amount of water over a longer period of time.

I recommend one gallon of water consumption over the course of your workout, and one to two liters consumed over a 45-60 minute time frame post-workout.

The amount of simple carbs you take in should dictate the time frame of your post-workout intake.

The more simple carbs you take in the more you should aim for the 60 minute time frame to ensure equilibrium of insulin production.

For the Full article http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/maga...opportunity.htm

Post Workout Macronutrient Calculator http://www.cathyndave.ca/lose/winoppwo.html
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-02-04, 10:22

Plan: Atkins /NHE/CKD
Stats: 289/219/200 Male 5' 8"
BF:41%/20%/18%
Progress: 79%

There has been a lot of discussions on Carb up pre and post workout. There are a lot of "studies" on what works best.
I have done it both ways Pre and Post workout.
What I have found for me is no carbs post workout.
I have done 30g 50/50 dextrose / maltodextrin pre workout. I don't seem to notice any difference in my lifts.
I believe Built says she gains fat if she eats carbs post WO.
Right now I do two clean carb load meals on Saturday night and that is it for carbs for the week.
YMMV
Good article though. I always slam my Whey shake after I work out.
Of course there is no Carbs in it, but the whey is digested so fast that it may increase the insulin reaction. I may try to drink half and sip the rest.
Bump Built / or Innermusic

Jeff
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-02-04, 12:55
Registered Member

Jagbender,
Yea i'm gonna keep researching on this and self experimenting to see what works best. I can understand if Built doesn't get a good response from this for not many females do. I read the whole thing and it makes sense to put maltodextrin since it is a glucose polymer, but like I said, We're on CKD sooo the circumstances might be different. I'll keep investigating on this....
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-02-04, 18:12
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi there -

I have nothing to add to this - as Jag mentioned, I do indeed notice that I get fat spillover from high-gi post wo carbs - I even have to watch it with whey because it glycolyzes so quickly in many of us low-carbers.

I have long suspected a hormonal/muscle mass connection for females in this, but have no hard research to back me up.

I've taken to eating cottage cheese post workout (casein is a slower protein than whey), or whey fattied up with heavy cream or with a celery stick with natty PB afterward.

I'm also experimenting with soluble fibre (Metamucil) with my post workout food because soluble fibre slows the rate of gastric emptying and interferes with the speed of digestion, slowing it down (which is what you want if you want to lower the impact of carbs - ie it lowers the GI of the food you consume). Non-soluble fibre does not do this, although it DOES contribute bulk to the meal and helps inhibit the absorption of some of the nutrients in your food.

Note that this is a compelling argument to avoid nutritional supplements when consuming such fibre supplements.

I do wish to add that if I drank a GALLON of water while training, I would hope to find a universal gym in the ladies' room, because that's where I'd be spending most of my time...

#5   ^
Old Thu, Sep-02-04, 20:20
Registered Member

On my first week on CKD It felt like i drank way too much water (unintentionaly) for some reason i downed about 2-3 liters before my depletion workout( i did cardio about 1-2 hours before). Then I drank about another 2 liters at the gym while working out, and then after i drank another liter with my postworkout shake, OMG i felt soo nauteous and bloated, if i remember correctly i drank it all at once. I probably went to the urinal twice at the most and I didnt even go that much. hmmm maybe i was dehydrated?? i dunno
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Sep-03-04, 05:24

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 333/199.8/172 Female 5'8"
BF:??/39.0/25
Progress: 83%

I read an interesting article in Hers magazine a few weeks ago. It says we should never let our calorie defict or surplus go below or above 300 at any one point throughout the day. This per research from Dan Benardot, at Georgia State U. This was in the August issue. It wasn't in relation to post WO intake, but I wonder if it's in the same vein. It seem like a lot of folks outside of the serious exercisers just pay attention to daily levels of nutrients. I'm thinking that we should focus on our intakes throughout the day which ties right in with the article you mention. It would make sense to me that if you go an hour doing the workout and deplete all nutrients that you'd want to pump some in quickly to compensate for that hour. Then balance the next hour by consuming the rest slowly. Good article...thanks for sharing.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Sep-04-04, 03:27
Registered Member

check this out,'
Today I took my PW shake, and usually its about 3 cups of water in 10-12 tablespoons of dextrose and a scoop of whey. Well, today i decide to expirement with a lil of the stuff that i've been reading. This time I drank 3 cups of water with 6 tablespoons of dextrose and about a scoop of whey. And when i was done with that i drank the other 6 tablespoons with another 3 cups of water and i feel much better, no bloat, also this time i took vandyl sulfate with chromium instead of just chromium by itself. I know chromium is weak but at the time thats all I could get, vanadyl sulfate is not the best but its better atleast. So basically what I did is that I diluted the concentration of the PW shake, it seems like i'd get a steady flow of nutrients to my muscles like this instead of slamming 112 grams of dextrose in a lil bit of water. With more water it is less concentrated, doesnt taste super sweet and is much much easier to drink. I'm expirementing in my carbup different things each week to see what works best for me. What works good for me might work well for others so i shall post my results.~