Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-23-03, 23:49

Plan: The Obesity Code
Stats: 563/521/199 Male 6'4"
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default Pigged out tonight for the first time in almost 2 months

Hi all,

I've been doing the atkins diet since January 2nd and it's been going great for me. So far i've lost about 30lbs, gone down from a size 50 to a size 46 and i'm feeling great. I haven't been posting here much, cause everything has been so good, but now I need a little support.

Tonight, for the first time, I pigged out on junk food (hey, it was No Way Out wrestling, had to!!). But anyways, I ate about 6 pieces of meat pizza with cheese, tomato sauce and bread. I also ate a donut. I'm not really worried about it, cause tommorow I will wake up and continue on with my diet as normal, but I just wanted to know if this will have any kind of effects on me and what type? Will it take another 3 days before I get back on track, or will I typically be back on track by Tuesday (after one day of eating normal again). Just wondering if it's possible to kick yourself completely out of ketosis by one bad night of eating..

Thanks in advance for the support!

Adam
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 05:52
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

I think when I got knocked out of ketosis over Xmas-it took a couple of days to get back in. Just get back on the low carb wagon like you already plan to do and your body will respond.

Just be careful about future pig outs.

Paleoanth
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 06:40
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Hi,

Don't feel too bad, you are getting right back on track. Maybe if you keep your fat intake really high today it will get you back into ketosis a little quicker.

We would not be human if we were always perfect right???

#4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 07:24

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I did the same thing on the weekend--blew the LCing for the first time (doing it since Jan 14th). I've been beating myself up big time, but realize that I just have to hop back on the band wagon and get back to it. It was discouraging and depressing but now I'm over it and moving onward.

Good luck to you (on congrats on your successes!

Nicole

ps--remind yourself of all the temptations you DID resist rather than focusing on the one you didn't
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 12:48

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

It pretty much depends on your body, but expect to see a 3-5 pound weight gain over the next few days and it could be 3-5 days before you are back in ketosis again.
With that many carbs, you fully replenished your glycogen stores and those will take about 3 days to run out again.
You may also experience a return of carb withdrawal symptoms.
Drink plenty of water as this will help get rid of the water retention and take Tylenol or Motrin to help with any headaches you might experience.
Hope you get back in the swing of things soon!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 13:00

Plan: mix of Atkins/Carb Addict
Stats: 188/185/135 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 6%

Hey Adam,

Considering the awesome progress you've had, don't beat yourself up about the slip. Granted, it was major enough that you'll pretty much use this whole week to get back into ketosis (usually takes me 4 good days before the scale gets back to where it was before a big slip)

Certain events make it harder for us... were you watching the WWE event with friends? We were wathcing it with family, so my binge (and there WAS a little) was pretty controlled because there was plenty of low-carb stuff there for me.

Just plan ahead for the next event, and have lots of snacks that you CAN eat. By the way, if there's pizza and you really NEED that slice... eat the toppings and leave the crust.

Good luck on the rest of your journey!

Christy

ps: Hmmm, Wrestlemania XIX looks like it could shape up to be an interesting evening!!!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 19:03

Plan: atkins
Stats: 354/233/200 Male 5 ft 11 in
BF:YES
Progress: 79%
Default we've all done it...

don't worry. I fell off the lc wagon on superbowl sun. I ate 3 pieces of pizza and chips,pop, cookies etc. and the next day i lc again and ended up loosing 2 lbs that week over all. So hang in there. I am a little jealous. I love pizza!

Jon

p.s try making the deep dish pizza quiche on the main dish section. it kicks butt.as someone told me a little bit ago.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 21:48

Plan: atkins/PP/my own
Stats: 180/133/140
BF:sz 14/4-6/toned 4
Progress: 118%
Lightbulb whoosh!

Hi Adam,

You know, when I was in OWL and had my occasional cheat, it would ALWAYS cause a whoosh (sudden weight loss). I don't know if it's because it shocked my body into shedding pounds, or if it has something to do with the CKD theories, but it really worked for ME. I would gain a few pounds of water weight and then two or so days later it would just disappear and take a few extra pounds with it.

On the other hand, having a big carbfest is going to really set off your cravings again, just like the beginning. But don't sweat it. It sounds like you've got the food/control issue down...that's the #1 most important thing in my opinion. The people who cave into every desire rarely win, in dieting and in life (I know, I'm a harda$$ LOL)

Grace
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 06:18

Plan: The Obesity Code
Stats: 563/521/199 Male 6'4"
BF:
Progress: 12%

I love this place. You guys are real supportive. Surprisingly today I haven't had any carb cravings at all and i've actually felt pretty good. I don't know if that is because I satisfied what my body wanted though...... but anyways, I didn't eat many carbs today at all. Ate alot of fat also. I appreciate all the advice.

Quote:
Certain events make it harder for us... were you watching the WWE event with friends? We were wathcing it with family, so my binge (and there WAS a little) was pretty controlled because there was plenty of low-carb stuff there for me.

Yeah, my friends all came over like 8 of us and there was nachos, pizza, chips, salsa, dortios, donuts and pepsi. When the pizza came out I just had to have some, and then I ate another piece.... and another. But..... I still am proud of myself. I had the donut last and at that point I was feeling pretty shitty (btw, the donut was the best ive ever had ) and I figured at that point I had already eaten so many carbs, more wouldnt hurt (there was about 12 donuts left over and I was literly contemplating eating them all). But my common sense knocked in and I didn't eat anything else. Since we always have these "parties" at my place, next time im gonna make alot of low carb stuff..... like peanuts, ceaser salad, lots of wings and a big sausage platter. Im sure everyone would like that. I dont know why I made pizza :? shoulda known better.

But anyways, thanks alot for all the support guys. All it took was a look in the mirror today to realize that there is no way im going to ever get off this diet, not after the results im seeing!!!!!

Thanks guys
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 11:08
Renovation Cub

Plan: LC
Stats: 330/286/200 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 34%
Cool

Yah, my buddy was coming over to watch it too, but had to cancel, so I didn't end up seeing it. However, I had pre planned, and had bought some veggies for dipping, and sliced pepperoni on hand for my own snacks so I wouldn't be tempted by his usual bag o' Doritos