Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-02-02, 10:59
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 150/145/128
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default Just finished Induction, please help..

I first did Atkins Induction a couple of months ago and lost 8 pounds. I followed the rules well except I did have Low Carb bread (4 carbs a slice) numerous times while staying within the 20 carb a day limit. I then maintained that weight loss for a couple of months. To get under that magic number of 150 pounds, I started Induction two weeks ago today. After Day Four the scale showed I had lost 4 pounds. I weighed this AM and the scale reads the same thing, 146. I have been in ketosis since Day 4 and have had NO bread, NO fruit, limited caffeince and just a little bit of Half and Half with my ONE morning cup of coffee ( I measure the cream religiously)
Eventhough the scale only reads a four pound loss, I can tell a HUGE difference in clothes, waist, neck, etc. Here is what I usually ate in Induction:
Breakfast 2-4 pieces of Non nitrate bacon and 2-3 eggs scrambled with real butter.
Lunch-using my George Foreman grill ( l love it!) I eat either a hamburger with cheddar cheese or a couple of Oscar Mayer all beef hotdogs (1 carb per dog, no sugar) along with some lettuce and a carefully measured tablespoon or two of Full Fat Caesar dressing.
Dinner- sirloin steak or burger with a salad OR some cooked string beans (fresh) or cooked asaparagus.
A sugar free jello with Redi Whip. I do have a thing for the Atkins Indulge bars and the Carbolite Sugar Free bars (0.2 net effective carbs) and I have at least one of those bars a day but when I have more it's no more than two. One major difference on this second round of Induction is I did not do any cardio or weights because several months ago when I did Induction I did cardio every day and weights three times a week and I got really dizzy. I have never been a good water drinker but this last week I have been drinking at least 8 glasses a day and taking my vitamins. I am going to do Induction for week 3 (this week) to see if I can lose more on the scale and I am going to return to my active schedule of cardio and weight training this week as well.
My questions to you guys (if I have not put you to sleep yet) are..
Is a four pound loss really small after induction?
How much weight can I expect to lose on Induction?
How can the scale only read a four pound loss when my clothes and friends' comments indicate more like a ten pound loss?
Thanks so much,
LCD in Dallas
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-02-02, 12:08
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default Re: Just finished Induction, please help..

Quote:
Originally posted by LCD1962
I first did Atkins Induction a couple of months ago and lost 8 pounds. I then maintained that weight loss for a couple of months.

8 pounds is an excellent beginning. If it was only a few months ago, that weight loss may be part of why this attempt is moving slower.

Quote:
To get under that magic number of 150 pounds, I started Induction two weeks ago today. After Day Four the scale showed I had lost 4 pounds. I weighed this AM and the scale reads the same thing, 146. Eventhough the scale only reads a four pound loss, I can tell a HUGE difference in clothes, waist, neck, etc.

You have 30 total lbs to lose. If you lost 4 lbs, that is more than ten percent of your total. Losing ten percent of the total desired loss seems to be appropriate for the first two weeks of Induction.

Quote:
I do have a thing for the Atkins Indulge bars and the Carbolite Sugar Free bars (0.2 net effective carbs) and I have at least one of those bars a day but when I have more it's no more than two.

A lot of people will tell you that the Endulge bars and other sugar-free snacks can impact you as full carbs, rather than the net carbs listed on the package. This can slow or stall weight loss if a person is sensitive to these sugar-alcohol carbs. If you have a problem losing later on, you might try cutting back on these.

Quote:
Is a four pound loss really small after induction?
How much weight can I expect to lose on Induction?
How can the scale only read a four pound loss when my clothes and friends' comments indicate more like a ten pound loss?

You lost MORE than the expected 3 lbs (10% of total). Your body is changing your weight from fat stores to lean muscle. Lean muscle weighs more than fat, but looks much slimmer. You're not only losing fat, you're losing inches! In other words, you're doing GREAT! Just hang in there!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-02-02, 13:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/202/160
BF:
Progress: 30%

LCD:

I think you are doing a great job!.

I also have a problem with the bars and limit myself to 1 or 2 for the weekend.

The rest looks like you have a pretty good handle on the diet. I prefer a large salad at lunch and top it with several ounces of cheese since I don't care for hard boiled eggs or tuna. I cook an ample portion of meat at night on my gas grill.

I love the sugar free jello. it really saves me at night when I want something sweet!

Katie
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-02-02, 20:11

Plan: here and there since 11/02
Stats: 233/?/140 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 24%
Wink

LCD,

Sounds like you are doing great! Believe me the numbers (scale) can be slow.... the results in clothes are fast but the scale has me so afraid -- I don't want to jump on it!! ha!

One thing, how is that bread? Is it worth the few carbs? or is it better just to go without?

thanks and take care,
M-
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-02-02, 20:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 161/152/125 Female 64
BF:35/32/18
Progress: 25%

LCD,

Looks like you are doing fine to me. The pant-o-meter is obviously doing well by you. Relax! You're doing great.