Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-03-02, 15:57

Plan: unknown
Stats: 218/218/175
BF:30% +
Progress: 0%
Question LC and Gall Bladder Disease

I did a low carb diet in the early 80s at a weightloss center. I lost quite a bit of
weight but the support was bad and so I had some problems continuing.
a year or two after I went off the diet I developed very bad gallstones and had to
have my gallbladder removed. I read the FDA warning that low carb/hi pro diets
resulted 85 percent of the time in Gall Bladder Disease...

My question is this, now that I dont have a gall bladder, is it safer?

I've been told that the GBD was caused by either 1 not enough water or 2. binging

thanks
juzu
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-03-02, 17:37

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi Juzu!

From what I've read, it's actually low fat diets that are more to blame for gallbladder disease than high fat ones. When the gallbladder doesn't have to contract to expel bile for fat digestion, the bile sits in the gallbladder and sediment forms eventually leading to stones. Several years ago, I lost about 60 lbs on a low fat diet (was starving half the time, I have to say) and what do you know? I suddenly started having gall bladder attacks and after a particularly bad one on New Year's Day, was told that it needed to come out ASAP. Of course, following the prescribed low fat diet following a gall bladder removal, I regained much of the weight I had lost because I was always hungry, not to mention my diabetes got out of control.
I've been low carbing now for about 17 months and have never had a problem with the higher amounts of fat. Not everyone may have that experience and may find that they need a bit less fat so it can be a very individual thing.