Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-22-02, 12:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/197/135
BF:
Progress: 35%
Question Managing CFS symptoms?

I am having a flare-up of (I believe) CFS. From what I have read, CFS and FM symptoms overlap quite a bit, but I get chills and then feel hot, and I have swollen lymph glands under my arms, and it seems those symptoms are more related to CFS. Started last week, not feeling sick, but not very energetic either. I also noticed the sore spots -- hurt when one of my cats or dog was on my lap, etc.

Could not sleep Sun. nite, was exhausted on Mon. I was so COLD -- chills, aches, did not feel well at all. Tues. same thing. Wed., I started feeling hot instead of cold, and it's the same today. I don't sleep well at all -- wake up over and over all night long, drenched with perspiration. I have not been exercising because it takes everything I have to get through the day -- by the time I get home from work, I just want to lie down.

I think it might be just a little bit better today -- I'm not so hot.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might help? I have not yet found a good doctor . One of the drawbacks of being forced into an HMO by DH's employer -- very limited, very traditional doctors -- all I've met so far are anti low carb, pro low fat, want to put people even with normal cholesterol levels on Lipitor because it's so good for you, think the 500 calorie liquid diet is the best option to lose weight, etc. -- they're all Mayo health doctors because the HMO is affiliated with Mayo Clinic. So, until I find one who is less 'traditional', I'm pretty much on my own as far as managing the sypmtoms.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-25-02, 08:40

Plan: schwarzbein/ hellers low carb
Stats: 150/142/119
BF:
Progress: 26%

Sorry to read u r feeling so unwell.

I'm sorry i can't tell u if u symptoms are due to cfs/fibromyalgia.

U need to find a doctor or natural health practicioner who may be able to give u some help or guidance.............I know u mentioned this was hard as your husbands health insurance is recommending DRs who are not........ LISTENING .... to you!!!!!

Not to exercise at the moment is a good idea if it is cfs as this may make it worse.....and prolong recovery.

R u you taking a good range of vits/supplements? They may help.......especially Magnesium.

Also u may want to take some Echinacea if your galds are swollen as there may be an infection your body is fighting at the moment this herb is excellent for supporting the immune system to fight off infections.

Another idea may be to monitor what u r eating to see if anything in your diet is making u feel worse: WHEAT, DAIRY, MSG ETC.

I hope u feel better soon

LIBERTY X
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Aug-25-02, 12:58

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 168/168/155 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Deg Peg,
I hope you are feeling a little better. My question to you, when was the last time you had a full blood panel performed and a women's health check up. Pelvic, pap smear, homone panel, etc. RE: your HMO, can you select a OBGYN for your primary physician? You might get a little better treatment.
Speaking for myself, I have learned to only give my doctor the info he needs, no more. I let him figure it out! I am also to the point of telling him if he cannot help me than I will look for another doctor. I have a tendency to be assertive! I prefer to call it getting my needs met. I really like him but he sometimes rolls his eyes when I ask for certain things to be done. I'm also at the age where I need to consider and discover if I'm peri-menopausal! So I'm going in on Tues for the full panel. I believe everything is homone related!
Your symptoms sound hormone related to me, but I haven't had CFS but two of my dear friends have it. One has successfully been treated, the other eats sugar all day and continues to suffer!
GOod luck to you and I hope you get the answers that you need and I hope you can get a decent doctor or "Encourage" yours to get his ass in gear and help you!
Take Care,
Maureen
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-27-02, 06:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/197/135
BF:
Progress: 35%

Liberty,

Thanks for the tip about Echinacea -- I will try that. I do take vitamins now: Multi, C, E, Calcium, Magnesium, CLA, Potassium. I don't usually eat much dairy -- an occasional piece of cheese. I avoid wheat because I believe that I'm alergic to it.

Maureen,

I just changed doctors in the HMO -- my 3rd one in 3 years, and I don't think I'm going to be very happy with this one either. He did a complete exam -- pap, blood work, etc., and everything was alright except that my cholesterol is a bit high. He is not OB/GYN -- maybe I can try one of those next. He is the one who said that I'm not losing weight fast enough, and suggested the 500 calorie per day liquid diet. Also said that even people with normal cholesterol levels benefit from taking Lipitor. Doesn't fit at all with my ideas of good health. So, I think I'll be trying someone else next. I have a friend who really likes her doctor, so I might try him (that might not mean too much -- the one I had before this one was recommended by another friend). I am menopausal, getting hot flashes, etc., but I have had these 'spells' since high school!

I am feeling better, though not completely out of it yet -- probably a couple more days and I'll be fine again. Thanks again for all of the advice.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Nov-24-02, 23:42

Plan: protien power
Stats: 326/300/190
BF:
Progress: 19%
Default drs and fms-cfids

you do have all the symptoms that i have/had and i would say you probably do have it. i really believe that they are the same thing, because so many people have overlapping symptoms-they are so similar anyway. it is so good to have a dr that listens to you, and most importantly believes cfids is a real thing! so many dont, or telll you to go on the pyramid. im onprotien power, and the supplements they recommend i take-much like you sound like you are already taking. the potassium helps a lot! the calcium-magnesium ratio is important too. i would say to not over exert-thats really important! listen to your body. do you have an insurance that covers alternative medicine? tai chi or feldencris teach you a very clear sense of your body and every movement you make, something that helps us with cfids/fms-as we humans are just used to moving, you know, any which way without a thought, that knowing what causes what pain is good to know. so far i think the guai protocol and this lc woe are the only things to relieve some or most(or all) of symptoms so far. that and rest and listening to your body, and stopping BEFORE you get worn out))do you stay on the diet? i hope you can find a dr to help you. i will think about you
deb
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Nov-24-02, 23:46

Plan: protien power
Stats: 326/300/190
BF:
Progress: 19%
Default yes! blood workup!

oh yes! and someone said a full blood workup! thats good to cancel out anything else that has similar symptoms, things that wed rather not have even more than cfids. really good suggestions here i understand what you are saying about the cold and hot bits, and ive gone thru menopause too, and they are different. what you are talking about is just what i felt, that was cfids/fms. good luck to all of you!
deb j.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Dec-09-02, 18:01

Plan: Suzanne somers
Stats: 237/232/170 Female 5: 6 1/2
BF:47.6/47.8/
Progress: 7%
Default DO NOT GIVE UP HOPE

Hello friends,
I am feeling so much better on this food plan. Low Carbing has indeed lifted my energy. I have even started walking with Leslie walking tapes. They are great you can walk whenever you wish regardless of the weather. No fancy jogging suits needed.
I have tried many avenues to ease my FMS/CFS. What ever I try I believe in. I have a DR. who is learning with me, and is so supportive.
I am now doing a Homeopathic liver detox that I believe is the future of maintenance for these symptoms. I discovered this information through another support group for FMS. I will include the web site, as there is so much information to share.
http://www.customhps.com/
I have no financial interest in this. Just found the information and am taking a chance which my hubby agrees has made the biggest difference in my life.
hugs Martha
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Dec-10-02, 08:21

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%
Default Hi, Peg...

a couple of points to ponder.

Have you ever made an emergency appointment with your doctor when you are having a flare-up? That would be the first thing I would do.

Then I would go to the doctor and say "I think I have fibro or CFS and I need to be referred to a rheumatologist." They are much better at recognizing and treating these symptoms. Don't take no for an answer.