Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-02, 12:34
Registered Member

Plan: atkins diet
Stats: 311/290/200 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 19%
Unhappy What's a girl to do???????

I feel like a loser. I stayed on LC for about 40 days. I was doin well. Then my back went out and I couldn't hardly move so I couldn't cook for a couple days, so I ate "whatever". I'm feeling better but everytime I try to start LC again I get halfway through the day and feel bad before the day ends. Is it withdrawls? I also heard on Dateline the other night that I could possibly have a heartattack or hurt my kidneys if I keep on this way. I'm so confused..........but I do know my pants are baggy and I was doin good, but I got tired of my greasy stove and floor(from frying) and when my back went out I really had an excuse to stop. I want to get back on but (as you can tell) I'm confused if I'm doin right. I'm 27 and "wanabthin" and healthy. Any suggestions or success stories to get me on track. What about my heart and kidneys?????????
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-02, 18:10
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Wana,

Your heart and kidneys (and liver and lights) will be just fine on the low carb plan.

Dr Atkins has challenged anyone with evidence of kidney disease caused by low carbing to produce the evidence. Nobody has ever come forward. Because low carbing does not cause heart or kidney disease! Dateline was wrong!

People assume that a diet higher in protein than is eaten by much of the population will cause kidney damage. Wrong! It does make the kidneys work harder, but that is what they are designed to do. The only caveat to that, is not to start low carbing if you have pre existing kidney disease. Dr Atkins stresses that in his book.

As for heart disease, studies showing that saturated fat can increase cholesterol, always include starchy carbs. If you leave out the starches and sugars, saturated fats can actually lower cholesterol.
Dr Atkins himself (who has been eating low carb for over 30 years) recently had a heart problem. He had a cardiac arrest - caused by an infection (caught while travelling overseas) in his heart muscle. While his condition was being investigated, his coronary arteries were found to be completely clear!

I'm sorry to hear about your back problems - I hope you will be feeling better soon.

If you need encouragement, go to Success Stories on the orange bar at the top of the screen.

Meanwhile, how about getting out your book and having another read. Restarting Induction sounds like the best plan.

You can do this Wana! You started well, I know you can jump back into it!

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-16-02, 20:20

Stats: 250/232/135
BF:
Progress: 16%

Please remember that Dateline was the show that rigged GM trucks with small explosive devices to show how "dangerous" the location of the gas tanks could be in an accident...think they're above misrepresenting a potentially controversial way of eating? Hardly.

Make decisions based on what feels right for you, and on what your doctor advises; let Stone Phillips do what he wants to boost his ratings. News shows get no audience for stories like: "Fat Chick Becomes Thinner, Healthier Chick: says Former BBW, 'My Kidneys Feel Great!' "

Good luck in the future.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-16-02, 21:33
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 300/247/150
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default Perseverance

What's a girl to do? Persevere. You havent failed if you keep on trying.

Hang in there.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-20-02, 22:53

Stats: 140/125/110
BF:
Progress: 50%

Don't look back! I was doing so well for about six weeks and then the other night I binged on ice cream and an entire container of peanuts! I felt guilty all the next day, but there was nothing I could do. So, admit that you enjoyed it, and move on! You worked so hard before, once you are back into the LC lifestyle even for a day, your body will bo sooo happy!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-21-02, 13:49

Stats: 235/225/130
BF:
Progress: 10%

The best thing I can suggest (depending upon how long you've been off LCing..if more than a week or two) is to go back on induction. Unfortunately you will probably go through some withdrawal symptoms since you fell of the LC wagon. Then after a while, get a complete blood workup and see how "your insides" are doing. Compare it with an earlier (pre LC) blood test and see if there are any differences. But, don't beat yourself up Just forget the past and move forward!

I am 53, and at this point in a "super stall"....Probably due to my BP medications, etc. I started LCing June 3 and lost 15 pounds in three weeks. Since then, nothing. But, got my blood tests back....Compared the results with my March blood test..... Total Cholesterol...198, down to 153....LDL...95, down to 88.....VLDL (whatever that is) 47, down to 18...and tryglicerides....236, down to 91.....So, I may not be losing the weight...but I guess I'm accomplishing something.

So, in my case....I can't see any damage being done to my body! Even though I'm not losing weight as quickly as I'd like....contrary to what "some" say...this WOE seems to be a lot healthier for my heart than the old way! Hang in there....

Peace, K.C.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fairy6a.jpg (8.5 KB, 45 views)

Last edited by Kayceecan : Wed, Aug-21-02 at 23:51.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Aug-22-02, 10:22
Registered Member

Plan: atkins diet
Stats: 311/290/200 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 19%
Talking back in the saddle again!

Well I'm doin well again, especially after my last trip to the doctor. I had lost 15 lbs according to the scales there. I hadn't gained my weight back like I thought. I didn't LC for about a week or so, because my back went out. I just knew I had gained it back, but to my suprise, a 15 lb weight loss! My doctor even gave me a pat on the back. I immediatly went right back to it the next day. That's been about 4 days, and 4 lbs lighter. I'm not gonna worry about the Dateline crap. I'm gonna go by how I feel. Which is pretty good. I got a complement last night. Made me feel great that someone noticed! I think my total loss so far is about 23 lbs. Have a long way to go but I'm not "sweatin" it. One day at a time!! Just because you fall off the wagon, it doesnt mean you cant get back on