Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-01-10, 18:01

Plan: Dr's plan Atkins like
Stats: 237/208/140 Female 5"7'
BF:don't wanna know!
Progress: 30%
Default Losing good, but now for exercise :)

Hi everyone!!

My weight has been going down very nicely, but I know I really must start exercising. I will be honest, not my favorite thing to do, but I know I must, for both better health, and weight loss as well. So here is my problem... My Son and I joined a gym ( planet fitness) there is 1 guy there that you need to make an appointment with and he will help you design a work out program for yourself. Now, that is great, and I do have an appoinment with him next Monday. But untill then.. WHAT THE HELL DO I DO?!?!?! LOL I did 3 miles on the bike today, and we tried few of the machines.. but we felt so..... foreign! You know you never want to look out of place.. But I am sure we did!! LOL what do you guys do when you go to the gym?? It has been eons since I have been a member of any, and back then it was all cardio classes... and I hate CARDIO!!!! so, if any of you have any ideas... please chime in

thanks!

Dee
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-01-10, 18:08

Plan: Zero Carb
Stats: 420/275.6/189 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 63%

For burning fat, lifting weights is the only way to go. Cardiovascular health, well..whichever you prefer.

I don't work out anymore. I personally believe that exercise doesn't facilitate weight loss -- calories out aren't gonna make up for the extra calories exercising makes you need to eat, but for overall wellness, I say definitely include weight lifting.

For example, my routine used to consist of: Chest and triceps on one day, Back and biceps another, legs and shoulders another. Feeling foreign at a gym you just started going to is common, but trust me, no one there is judging you or really cares that you're new or not
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-01-10, 20:32

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 136/118/115 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 86%

I would definitely wait for the trainer's instructions before getting on the weight machines...you don't want to injure yourself by trying to do too much or doing it incorrectly.

The bike is a great place to start! In fact, a lot of trainers recommend that you warm up on the bike or elliptical before you begin w/ weights. Good for you guys for taking good care of your muscles and joints! You are so right that exercise is important for overall health!!

As for what I do? I really love my pilates classes!! I loved yoga too but it was too much twisting on my spine after my back surgery...rats. Pilates really strengthens those core muscles and it has really helped me get strong!! I actually have some abs now! Woot woot!!

Good luck, you are doing great!!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-01-10, 20:42
Registered Member

Plan: Zero Carb / Warrior Diet
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress:

Strength-training is the best for women.

See this post: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...18&postcount=34

and this one: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...0&postcount=118

I talk about my work out with links to how to do the specific exercises I reference.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-02-10, 05:41

Plan: atkins
Stats: 290/269/180 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 19%

I joined Planet Fitness about a month ago and love it. Of course all I've been doing is the treadmill. I just put on my headphones, watch the closed caption on the tvs, and play with the hills and speed on the treadmill. I do about 3 miles 4 days a week, burning about 400 cal each time. and I feel great afterwards.

I keep thinking about the weight machines or free weights, but I bulk up very quickly and don't want that. I already have good muscle tone underneath fat but dont want to encourage the muscles to grow any more lol.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-02-10, 12:22

Thanks for the help! Kate your workout seems doable..I really don't want to be at the gym any longer than a Hr. What do you think of of the 30 minute circut machines that they have?? ( i am sure you have seen them before) I just look like a fish out of water... can't wait for my Appointment on Monday!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Feb-02-10, 15:08

Plan: PP-ish
Stats: 202/149/147 Male 5'8
BF:~10%
Progress: 96%

The circuit machines are okay. Select a weight heavy enough that you can do about 6 before you start straining. Then try and do 8. Then next machine. Aim for about 20 minutes and remember...train like an athlete, not like a hamster. Treadmills will strengthen your legs, and nothing else. Much better to do a squat or leg press machine. It's easier, more efficient and doesn't risk repetitive motion injuries that plague runners and treadmill addicts.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Feb-02-10, 16:26

Stats: 420/275.6/189 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 63%

If you start weight training, the most important thing you can do beforehand is find out proper form for each machine/free weight. The risk of injuries are a lot higher for improper form and even moreso for overweight people.

With the trainer guy, ask him to show you how to do each exercise and it'll be golden
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Feb-03-10, 10:39
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

The best exercise is one you love. Keep trying different things until you find something you enjoy doing and then keeping it up will be a pleasure.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Feb-03-10, 12:49
Registered Member

Stats: 218/177/160 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeCt
Hi everyone!!

My weight has been going down very nicely, but I know I really must start exercising. I will be honest, not my favorite thing to do, but I know I must, for both better health, and weight loss as well. So here is my problem... My Son and I joined a gym ( planet fitness) there is 1 guy there that you need to make an appointment with and he will help you design a work out program for yourself. Now, that is great, and I do have an appoinment with him next Monday. But untill then.. WHAT THE HELL DO I DO?!?!?! LOL I did 3 miles on the bike today, and we tried few of the machines.. but we felt so..... foreign! You know you never want to look out of place.. But I am sure we did!! LOL what do you guys do when you go to the gym?? It has been eons since I have been a member of any, and back then it was all cardio classes... and I hate CARDIO!!!! so, if any of you have any ideas... please chime in

thanks!

Dee

Exercise 'may' slow your weight loss. Not saying it will but for many it does.
Exercise does not increase your health. It increases your fitness level.
Change in diet will increase your health.
You have probably noticed that you lose weight when you sleep. That's when mine disappears.
I would say skip the cardio. There are a lot of pros and cons about cardio. Read up on it and decide for yourself.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Feb-03-10, 15:12
Dog is my copilot

Plan: paleo/lowcarb
Stats: 210/162/145 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 74%

The right kind and amount of exercise can significantly improve your health due to its effects on the endocrine system, nutrient partitioning, muscle conditioning and bone density.

I'm a big fan of HIT since it has the most effect for the amount of time spent. If you've never done high intensity/heavy lifting, you really need a coach to help you learn to do it right though.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Feb-03-10, 19:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomp
Exercise 'may' slow your weight loss. Not saying it will but for many it does.
Exercise does not increase your health. It increases your fitness level.
Change in diet will increase your health.
You have probably noticed that you lose weight when you sleep. That's when mine disappears.
I would say skip the cardio. There are a lot of pros and cons about cardio. Read up on it and decide for yourself.

You say skip the cardio, but I always hear you should do a bit to warm up ( Now like I said I know NOTHING about this) so can i just lift, and not have to get on the treadmill or bike??? That would just make my day!!!!
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Feb-04-10, 09:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeCt
You say skip the cardio, but I always hear you should do a bit to warm up ( Now like I said I know NOTHING about this) so can i just lift, and not have to get on the treadmill or bike??? That would just make my day!!!!

Stay off the treadmill and the bike. If you feel the need to warm up, do a preliminary set with very light weight.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Feb-04-10, 11:44

Plan: atkins
Stats: 290/269/180 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 19%

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienBug
Stay off the treadmill and the bike. If you feel the need to warm up, do a preliminary set with very light weight.

why would you say stay off the treadmill and bike? that doesn't make sense to me.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Feb-04-10, 12:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by shandarose
why would you say stay off the treadmill and bike? that doesn't make sense to me.

The OP asked about warming up before lifting weights. I said do a warmup set with very light weight.