Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-08, 19:07

Plan: Doctors
Stats: 132/135/132 Female 175cm
BF:
Progress:
Default Hypothyroidism/vegetarian

My dr put me on a lc diet to (hopefully) avoid me developing hypothyroidism. I'm also vegetarian (I want to be vegan). Just wondering if there's anyone who has hypothyroidism and is vegetarian or vegan. I'm finding it difficult to find out if it's even possible to be vegan when you can't eat soy or carbs!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-08, 20:09
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Well, a lot of veggies are also goitrogenic (interfere with thyroid), so you're going to have an interesting time.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-08, 13:03

Plan: Paleo+Atkins+DIY
Stats: 309/289/165 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 14%

You can try avoiding the goiterogenic veggies. Just do a web search and you should come across a list of such foods easily. I'm also hypothyroid and my doctor suggested going low-carb. I don't see vegetarianism fitting in well since that diet relies on soy and starches.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-08, 14:15

Plan: Protein & Green Veggie
Stats: 185/155/10 Male 6"0
BF:
Progress:

A doc told me to become a vegetarian because I have trouble digesting my food(classic symptom of low thyroid).. But he also doesnt beleive im hypo even though one of my tests says Im low thyroid, and insisted on me taking anti-depressants... I swear... I was ticked off!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-08, 16:43

Plan: Paleo+Atkins+DIY
Stats: 309/289/165 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 14%

DustyA: I would try a new doctor.

As far as digestion issues, there are supplements you can take. I take pancreatin, which helps a lot. Its the enzymes that are found in the pancreas. You can get it at Whole Foods.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-22-08, 09:10

Plan: PPLPish<30ecc.
Stats: 180/165/150 Female 5 foot 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

vegan..vegetarian ...Well it is your call but I will tell you this. I was a vegetarian , almost vegan for 25years of my life. It is not physically good for you . you get a lot of deficiency and too many health complications.

i could convince you if you are doing just for health reasons ut if it is for religious or moral reasons...i dont think anyone can. but anyways good luck with whatever you decide.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-08, 02:48

Plan: Doctors
Stats: 132/135/132 Female 175cm
BF:
Progress:

Thanks for all the replies =]

Nancy LC - yeah, I did a search for them, and was amazed at the list! I'm sure that I'll be able to avoid it. Although, I've been told by another doctor to simply accept that I'll become hypothyroid eventually and have hrt every day for the rest of my life from then on. Apparently that's what most people why hypothyroidism do, and I'm quite happy to be one of them. So I should be able to have pretty much whatever I want now

Dusty A - can you get a second doctors opinion? That doctor seems to be ignoring something that's obviously important.

Chandbaby1 - thanks for the warning
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-08, 09:03
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyA
A doc told me to become a vegetarian because I have trouble digesting my food(classic symptom of low thyroid).. But he also doesnt beleive im hypo even though one of my tests says Im low thyroid, and insisted on me taking anti-depressants... I swear... I was ticked off!

Sounds like you need a new doctor.

If you have low thyroid, antidepressants aren't going to help that. Why not just find a new doctor that has a little more common sense and will treat you more respectfully? There are some good thyroid doctors list on the Internet you could hopefully find one in your area.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Oct-25-08, 06:47

Plan: Protein & Green Veggie
Stats: 185/155/10 Male 6"0
BF:
Progress:

I convinced my doc to refer me to an Endo, and not a psyc like he was trying.. Hopefully he will have more common sense.. What ticks me off is im a very smart guy, and they treated me at the last doc like I was stupid!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Oct-25-08, 08:54
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyA
I convinced my doc to refer me to an Endo, and not a psyc like he was trying.. Hopefully he will have more common sense.. What ticks me off is im a very smart guy, and they treated me at the last doc like I was stupid!

Good luck!

Not all endocrinologists are great at treating thyroid. I'd really recommend you look over the list of recommended thyroid doctors and try to find one near you.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Oct-25-08, 14:55

Plan: general
Stats: 196/185/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 24%

Well, my doctor has recommended the same diet, after an elevated TSH. Because you exhibit fatigue, maybe hypoglycaemia & weight gain, etc, they automatically jump on the low carb band wagon. What we really need is some thyroid replacement therapy!!! I have to wait 6 months to have my bloods taken again. I hope you have better luck.

Delbird