Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-20-02, 12:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 142/132/115 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 37%
Question Ok Ladies, this is gonna sound horrible...Men beware!!

Im a little embarassed to be asking this question, especially being such a new member, but Im dying to know and this seems like a really great and open forum, so here goes...have any of you heard anything about any odors "down there" from doing LC? This diet seems fantastic, and I have seen so many good results from others on it, that I have decided to give it a try.. Day 3!! I have heard about the bad breath, and can vaguely recall reading something about odor "down there" but just wanted to confirm with you ladies. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-20-02, 12:39

Plan: atkins/protein power 1st
Stats: 269/278/210 Male 5 feet 10 ins.
BF:33%/30%/ ?
Progress: -15%

This is such an open forum and I never heed warnings!

It is possible for urine to smell of ketones if they are not overwhelmed by the normal smell of urine.

The acetone smell is a vague sense of ripe apples.

So unless you have been stuffing a ripe russet in your corset I think we have got to the bottom of it.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-20-02, 12:40
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/185/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 55%
Smile

hi bebegirl¤,

I've moved your question to the Health forum

Ketones are produced by the liver, and circulate in the blood. They are excreted from the body mainly in urine by the kidneys, and also in bile via the bowels, and in our breath via the lungs.

Your best way to ensure less ketone-excretion from the lungs/breath is by drinking lots and lots of water, and eating high-fiber vegetables. This will cause the ketones to be eliminated more in the urine and bowel.

As a RN, I can assure you that good hygiene is the best cure for any "general" body odour problems .. and that goes for women AND men. If you notice a foul odour or discharge, it's likely due to infection, and best to get thee to a dr to have it checked out. You may notice that your urine smells "stronger" when you go to the bathroom .. drinking lots and lots of water to keep things diluted and flushed out should solve that.

Hope this helps

Doreen
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-20-02, 16:24
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/165/130 Female 62 inches
BF:not sure
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally posted by rustpot
So unless you have been stuffing a ripe russet in your corset I think we have got to the bottom of it.

Rustpot -- too funny!