Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-19-02, 07:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 473/332/190 Male 75.6
BF:
Progress: 50%
Question How do I change ?

Okay,

Heres a biggie.

I'm an overweight slob.

How do I start to change my body.

How do I change from a mound of blubber to a toned and fit guy?

Where, with what etc etc should I start?

Is that too vague?

LC_Dave
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-19-02, 08:02

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 52%

Dave-
I would start by reading as much as I can about different types of exercise to figure out which will be the best fit for you. Read Trainerdan's beginner's thread: Advice for the beginner

Everyone has to start somewhere! If you want it bad enough, you can change. Check out Dankar's success story also. He is quite an inspiration!

Linda
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-19-02, 11:58

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

be kind to yourself, first of all--and patient. Little steps at first can seem frustrating, but they do add up!

You can do it, Dave--in two or three years, you'll be a totally different person, and people who haven't seen you in that long will pass you by on the street without recognizing the strong, athletic, slim guy you'll be.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-19-02, 13:18

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: //
BF:
Progress: 50%

Hey Dave! I'm an overweight slob too!

But now I'm a firmer, more muscular overweight slob. I started with 2 1/2 weeks of walking before going to something more intense. From what I've read, you want to be careful not to take up a sport or exercise that puts you at a disadvantage. In other words, stay away from everything that amounts to slamming all your weight onto your poor joints. That excludes running above all else.

Instead, try something that helps to absorb the shock or doesn't create impact, like bicycling (indoor or outdoor), an elliptical, a rowing machine, or a stair climber. I've just finished reading Covert Bailey's Smart Exercise and Dr. Bob Arnot's Guide to Turning Back the Clock this week. Both advocate intensity over quantity of exercise (assuming you're healthy and your doctor approves). So they would have you start with 10 - 15 minutes of moderate intensity, just above your comfort zone.

They both also like wind sprints. So first you warm up by doing the elliptical (or whatever) for 5 minutes at a slow pace. Then you either increase the resistance setting or just start peddling as fast as your feet will go for maybe 30 seconds or so. Then slow it back down till you've recovered and then repeat. Cool down at the end by going slow again before stopping all together. Then stretch. Do this about 3 - 5 times a week.

I've read about 7 books on the topic in the past month and the consensus is: a small amount of moderate-intensity aerobic exercise is preferable to a longer period of low-intensity exercise. They all agree that this will get you in shape faster.

And that fits with my own experience. I can't believe how much progress I've made in less than 2 months. The problem of being so winded that you think you might die lasts only 2 weeks. Really. When it's gotten easier, you can add more high-intensity intervals, shorten the recovery period between the intervals, go for a longer total time, or lengthen the high-intensity intervals.

Of course, weight lifting is a good idea too. Read the "sticky" about that. I also found it useful to read older threads in this forum. And of all the books I've read, Dr. Bob Arnot's Guide to Turning Back the Clock is by far the most inspiring. Just skip the nutrition chapters. All the local libraries here have a copy; it can't be too hard to find. It also has useful weight lifting information.

Hey, if I can do this you can too. The most painful part was dragging myself to a gym for the first time -- so humiliating. Only it turned out not to be such a big deal. No one looked at me, the people at the information desk are friendly and helpful, and I can do something different every day because there's tons of equipment. I've even gotten so nervy as to ask some of the skinny people what that exercise is they're doing, what muscles it works, and they've all been very happy to explain, showed me an easy starting version and suggested how many I might start with.

The one humiliation that I spare myself is locker room trauma. High school was more than 20 years ago, but it's all too fresh in my memory. I walk to the gym in clean workout clothes and then walk back home all sweaty and disgusting.

I can't tell you how much satisfaction I've gotten out of finally doing it, getting past the initial phase and seeing very real progress.

Let us know how it goes.

Allison