Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-08, 09:10

Plan: whole foods, less carbs
Stats: 158.5/145.5/125 Female 62 in
BF:2 high
Progress: 39%
Default Which LC plan do you follow?

Hi everyone,

I am curious about the different levels of carbs allowed on each LC plan and which works best with thyroid problems.
I'm following south beach and on my second week of phase one. Weight loss is very slow and has seemingly come to a complete halt at day 5. I'm guessing the weight that came off was sheer water weight and now the fat doesn't want to budge?
I feel better, for sure (a little low on energy though) so it's encouraging, but I am concerned that when I move on to phase two (as suggested because of the 'few' pounds I need to lose) at the third week that it won't be effective for weight loss.

I would love to hear of your experiences here. I'm learning so much from reading your posts
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-08, 11:18

Plan: Atkins (Strict Induction)
Stats: 183/120/115 Female 5'7.5"
BF:21.6%
Progress: 93%

I lost all of my weight on Atkins. I also started medication at that time as I have hashimoto's hypothyroidism. Good luck!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-08, 20:22

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping to there would be more responses. Is this forum topic just for thyroid issues, or LC and thyroid issues
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-08, 21:16
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I follow Paleo. Seems to help with many autoimmune diseases including thyroid.
Quote:
I was hoping to there would be more responses.

Be patient, not everyone checks obsessively like some of us do.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-08, 21:37

sorry, I don't mean to be impatient. I am confused about such a sudden stall from day 5-10 on phase one without cheating
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-08, 13:38

Plan: keto ancestral/IF
Stats: 330/189/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I follow Atkins with I/F. I stay on mostly induction levels of carbs or just slightly below 30 g per day - mostly because I have multiple food sensitivies (dairy, nuts, soy[obviously with thyroid issues], berries to name a few) that will throw me into a stall quickly. I also take coconut oil. So far, it all seems to be working. I have Hashimotos.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-08, 14:10

Plan: Atkins (Strict Induction)
Stats: 183/120/115 Female 5'7.5"
BF:21.6%
Progress: 93%

Something interesting about soy - according to my endocronologist, I do not have to avoid it because it does not have an influence on my synthetic thyroid hormones (synthroid and cytomel). It is only an issue for people with thyroid problems who are not medicated. I, too, have Hashimotos. Jill

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
I follow Atkins with I/F. I stay on mostly induction levels of carbs or just slightly below 30 g per day - mostly because I have multiple food sensitivies (dairy, nuts, soy[obviously with thyroid issues], berries to name a few) that will throw me into a stall quickly. I also take coconut oil. So far, it all seems to be working. I have Hashimotos.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-08, 15:09
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

There's a lot of goitrogenic foods (foods that suppress the thyroid). Google goitrogen for more info. Usually cooking disables them though.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-08, 15:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoWhammies

I'll need to read up on Atkins, I don't know what you mean by I/F??? Do you find the low carb intake affecting your moods negatively? I read the T-3 level is affected by carbs. I notice when my carb intake is low (low for me on phase one SB anyway) I feel depressed. I'm hoping this will lift, but I can't find any posts where others have had similar experiences. It could be my thyroid causing the problem (combined with low carb).

Great going on your weight loss!!
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-08, 15:57

BF:

I don't notice a negative effect on my moods - as a matter of fact I feel quite the opposite - my moods are quite even. More so than when I was on carbs. I also do fairly high fat Atkins - about 75-80% of my calories from fat, so that may affect the mood.

I/F = intermittent fasting. It is something that I have just recently started after a lot of careful research - and am doing to take care of some other issues - mostly not weight-related (inflammation being primary). It certainly isn't for everyone, and I am still evaluating whether it is for me, but from the results I have noticed thus far in how I feel, I believe it is something that I will continue. There are a lot of threads that you can search for if you want more information.

My thyroid story is a long, sad one (and probably familiar to many of you) - started gaining weight rapidly in my mid-20s after always being pretty active (was a competitive body builder), and remained active - eating about 1200 calories per day and spent hours a day in the gym, taught 12 aerobics classes a week - and the weight came on in spite of that. I was also in constant pain. I went from doctor to doctor saying "something's wrong - help me" and they would tell me I was overestimating how much I exercised and underestimating how much I ate, and I was just fat because I had no self control. Grrrrr.... Oh - and my chronic pain, dry skin, constant coldness, hair loss, etc., was because I was fat - and if I just got some self-control and lost weight, it would all work itself out. Nice - huh?

This went on for 15 years, until I found a doctor who listened to me, tested my thyroid and put me on Armour thyroid a little over a year ago. Thank God! Between that, discovering my sensitivities to certain foods, and figuring out that I was hugely carbohydrate senitive and needed to eat the LC way (thank you Gary Taubes), I've been able to start to figure out what works for me and my health has done a complete turn-around.

What a relief. I feel like a new person, and it feels good to be able to swing a golf club without aching all over and being restricted by my body, and to hike up a hillside without getting winded or having my legs rubbing together. I'm really grateful - and a year and a half ago I never believed I'd ever feel this way again.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-08, 15:58

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
There's a lot of goitrogenic foods (foods that suppress the thyroid). Google goitrogen for more info. Usually cooking disables them though.

Yeah - I just read that mustard and pine nuts are goitrogenic. Those two surprised me.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-08, 17:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I follow Paleo. Seems to help with many autoimmune diseases including thyroid.

I've read some info on the Paleo eating plan, and it makes sense, and if allows for high fat intake it may solve some dieting problems with the SB plan.
Was dairy difficult for you to give up?
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-08, 19:39

BF:

I had to give up dairy out of necessity. It isn't as bad as you might think. I sure feel a lot better for it.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-08, 22:22

Interesting, I may try it. I just hate to attempt giving up a food and then fail at the attempt
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-08, 18:17
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/100/50 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 58%

I'm on Atkins and now hyperthyroid.

I am on Levoxyl 175mcg for the rest of my life due to thyroid cancer.

After following Atkins to the T, I have lost 6 pounds during the first week.