Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-02, 13:36
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 136/134/116
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default Losing weight without exersize?

Is anyone out there losing weight without exersize? Stand up and be counted, and let me/us know if you have any tips or secrets!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-02, 14:19

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: //
BF:
Progress: 50%
Wink (Shhh ... this is just between us, alibaka!)

I did start exercising 2 weeks ago, but in the seven months prior I lost 87 pounds without any exercise. And since I started exercising the scale hasn't budged.

My weight is probably not changing now because I'm probably building some muscles.

The reason that I wanted to start exercising is that I reached 226 pounds and found myself much fatter than I was at 236 pounds in 1998. In 1998 when I got down to 236 I did it through exercise and was pretty firm. Now I weigh 10 pounds less and I'm very flabby.

You ask if I had any secrets. Yes. Follow the diet as prescribed by Atkins exactly. It's so easy to start making up you own rules and to get away from the basics. The man has been doing this for 30 years. He knows what he's talking about. Follow what he says the way he says it. His plan really does work without further adjustment. Reread regularly to refresh your memory of small details.

I check the labels of everything. If there's some kind of sugar in it I don't buy it. Not even if it's just a bit in bacon, salad dressing, sausage, vitamins, anything.

Allison

Last edited by allisonm : Mon, Feb-11-02 at 14:29.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-02, 16:46
Pending Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 230/175/140
BF:
Progress: 61%
Default first 2 months... NO exercise

The first 4 months I was on Atkin's I did no exercise whatsoever- during that time I lost about 25 lbs... it was when I got closer to 200 and was feeling much lighter and more energized that I decided to add activity in.

I did strength training for a couple of months and that seemed to taper the rapid weight loss off- but I could see the difference in my body (actual muscles!)...

Now I try to get in to the gym 3-4 times a week for aerobic workouts, but I have found that I haven't been totally diligent on that

Anyways, long story short- this WOE works whether you exercise or not... but I think that adding in the exercise makes you look and feel better overall.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-02, 17:38

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: (Shhh ... this is just between us, alibaka!)

Quote:
Originally posted by allisonm
The reason that I wanted to start exercising is that I reached 226 pounds and found myself much fatter than I was at 236 pounds in 1998. In 1998 when I got down to 236 I did it through exercise and was pretty firm. Now I weigh 10 pounds less and I'm very flabby.

I was going to say "sure you can lose weight w/o exercising - but some of it's going to be muscle and you're going to regret it!". However Allison has said it for me

Instead of trying to lose weight - think "Fat". Some of that weight you're going to want to keep - the muscle. Muscle can be built/grown when you peform any kind of weight bearing exercise - even walking counts! Active muscle is always looking for a source of fuel and it's preferred source is FAT, your body FAT. LC is a perfect environment for building muscle - you're consuming adequate protein and you're not indulging in processed sugar or flour.

It is possible to lose 75 lbs of scale weight and weigh 125 lbs and yet look flabby and 'soft'. It is also just as possible to lose 50 lbs and weigh 150 lbs and look lean and lithe. Yes, having more muscle mass will make you heavier - it will also put you in a position to require more calories a day just to maintain your weight. The net result is you look good, you feel great and you can eat real food - a lot more of it!

Nat
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 00:06
Registered Member

Stats: 225/194/160
BF:
Progress: 48%

I've lost more than 30 pounds since mid-december 2001, and have not put one foot on that darn "dread-mill" ! I know I need to excercise to keep my body healthy, not just to lose weight. I do run after 3 little ones all day, does that count?

Nellie
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 01:38
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I have. But as fat left, I began to walk more quickly, walk instead of driving, running up the staris, being more active with the dogs, etc.

I'm quite muscular, but I do know I would be better off with better muscle tone.

Karen
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-15-02, 18:15
Registered Member

Stats: 189/149/135
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default yep me too

I am also losing weight with out overdoing the excersise right now. I have a really tight neck muscle and it makes me dizzy when it tightens up,,,,so other than walking, I am taking it pretty slowly.

Smiley