Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-15-07, 21:02
<---The Crazy One!

Plan: Atkins
Stats: -/-/145 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default Help!!! I don't know if I'm doing this right!!!!

<this is copied from my journal>

alright. I guess I'm going to start posting my menu because I don't know if I'm eating right on this plan

Breakfast
1 2% string motzerella stick
11 almonds (natural)
2 cashews

Lunch
1 white meat chicken(I ate the skin. I can't give up the skin!!!!)
1 1/2 cup spinach
1.5 brocolli
1 garden salad with ranch dressing (am I suppose to stop eating full fat ranch? lf ranch is gross. I'm also getting like 1-2tbs amount of it anyway)

Dinner
I serving of Chicken and Mushroom soup (I made it from a recipe in the SB Quick and Easy cookbook) It has brussel sprouts, Low Sodium Chicken Broth, Mushrooms, boneless and skinless chicken, leeks)
(210 cals, 3g fat, 1g saturated fat, 34g protein, 13g carbs, 3g dietary fiber, 240mg sodium) <--- that's per serving.

1 serving of Gingered Tofu Salad
This has edamame beans, tofu, ginter, cucumbers, red bell pepper and scallions.
(310 cals, 17g fat, 2g saturated fat, 22g protein, 18g carbs, 6g dietary fiber, 200mg sodium)

I didn't include the oils that was used to make these dishes or the low sodium soy sauce used in the Gingered Tofu Salad.

I'm starving right now. I don't know if I'm suppose to not eat anymore because I feel like I've ingested a good amount of food today.

I'm so worried that I'm doing this wrong and that I'm going to gain a billion pounds and I'm going to be known as teh SBD reject.

I have read the book and I only used Phase 1 recipes. Am I only to limit a recipe a meal or is it safe to use as many recipes during a day?????

I know I have a million questions but this is so new to me and it's making me frustrated. But not to the point where I want to stop. I do like that I'm ingesting less animal fat. (other than my chicken...i refuse to give up the skin) I haven't tried the turkey bacon yet...I am a bit scared because I usually lust for real bacon right now.

I guess I should try the canadian bacon.

Thanks to anybody who helps me out!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-15-07, 21:10
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpeach
I didn't include the oils that was used to make these dishes or the low sodium soy sauce used in the Gingered Tofu Salad.

I'm starving right now. I don't know if I'm suppose to not eat anymore because I feel like I've ingested a good amount of food today.

I'm so worried that I'm doing this wrong and that I'm going to gain a billion pounds and I'm going to be known as teh SBD reject.

I have read the book and I only used Phase 1 recipes. Am I only to limit a recipe a meal or is it safe to use as many recipes during a day?????

I know I have a million questions but this is so new to me and it's making me frustrated. But not to the point where I want to stop. I do like that I'm ingesting less animal fat. (other than my chicken...i refuse to give up the skin) I haven't tried the turkey bacon yet...I am a bit scared because I usually lust for real bacon right now.

I guess I should try the canadian bacon.

First of all...take a few deep breaths and relax...its going to be OK!!

When you are hungry, eat some protein...I find a hard boiled egg takes my hunger away.

You need to get to Meal Plan Guide that is located with the Updated Food lists.....it will tell you how much to eat of foods that require portion control and use the food lists for this too. I suggest that you print them up and carry them with you as reference as you learn this plan.

I promise that you will not be a SBD reject!!

You will need to let go of the chicken skin though...I cook up 2 lbs of chicken or turkey breats cutlets each week in my own yummy marinades. I always have good protein available for a quick meal.

Use as many recipes a day as you like!!

What do you have in your fridge now that you can eat to quell your hunger? Your dinner looks a bit on the light side....have a HB egg in a small salad.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-15-07, 21:16
<---The Crazy One!

BF:

you rock Judy! I have plenty of food options in the fridge. I didn't even think about having a hb egg.

I'm also going to go drink a ton of water and maybe get some cardio in.

My body is going through this strange shift from lc to SB..and it's screaming at me...lol

I hope that this gets easier over time. But it seems that alot of people on here have made a successful change from Atkins to SB...so there is hope for me!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-15-07, 21:19
Attitude is a Choice

Great!! I always force my mind to think about all the foods that I can have....it does help to manage our internal dialogue!!

Also, you are enouraged to eat beans twice a day, 1/3 cup is a portion. I eat hummus( 2 ozs) as my bean serving ...its great and filling with celery!! don't think about the carb count!!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-15-07, 21:21
Attitude is a Choice

This is the How to Adapt Your Meal Plan for phase I:
when I first found this chart, it really pulled the plan together for me!!

Quote:

How To Adapt Your Meal Plan

The South Beach Diet™ is designed so that you can easily swap meals and ingredients. If you don't like eggs for breakfast, have low-fat cottage cheese or lean meat instead. Not a fish lover? Then choose lean beef or poultry. In Phase 1 of the diet, you can eat as many proteins and vegetables as you like, plus fats like olive oil. Fruit and starches aren't allowed until Phase 2. Here's a look at some general eating guidelines. For specific food choices, check out the Phase 1 Foods to Enjoy & Avoid list.

BREAKFAST
Protein: Quantity is not limited. Start with a 2 oz. portion, eat slowly, go back for seconds if still hungry.

Vegetables: Minimum 1/2 cup or 6-8 oz. tomato or vegetable juice.

Fruit: None

Starch: None

Milk/Dairy: 2 cups allowed daily (including yogurt)

Fat: 1 tsp mayonnaise, trans-free margarine, or oil (optional)

SNACK
Snacks are required. Choose a protein, vegetable, fat-free plain yogurt, or nuts/seeds. A snack that combines protein (1 oz.) and vegetables is encouraged.

LUNCH
Protein: Quantity is not limited. Start with a 3 oz. portion, eat slowly, go back for seconds if still hungry.

Vegetables: Minimum 2 cups.
We encourage you to include a serving of beans (1/3-1/2 cup) as part of your vegetables.

Fat: 1 Tbsp mayonnaise, trans-free margarine or oil, or 2 Tbsp salad dressing

SNACK
Snacks are required. Choose a protein, vegetable, fat-free plain yogurt, or nuts/seeds. A snack that combines protein (1 oz.) and vegetables is encouraged.

DINNER
Protein: Quantity is not limited. Start with a 3 oz. portion, eat slowly, go back for seconds if still hungry.

Vegetables:Minimum 2 cups.
We encourage you to include a serving of beans (1/3-1/2 cup) as part of your vegetables.

Fat: 1 Tbsp mayonnaise, trans-free margarine or oil, or 2 Tbsp salad dressing

DESSERT / EVENING SNACK
Desserts are optional. Enjoy some of your Sweet Treat allowance, a dessert, or any of the snack choices.

SWEET TREATS
Sweet Treats are products that contain sugar alcohols. You can enjoy them throughout the day to satisfy your sweet tooth — just limit yourself to roughly 75 calories worth per day to avoid any GI distress.
See a list of Sweet Treat options here

BEVERAGES
Diet, decaffeinated, sugar-free drinks are not limited. You can enjoy caffeinated coffee or diet sodas with caffeine added, but limit to 1 - 2 servings per day.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-16-07, 12:03

Stats: 000/000/135 Female 5' 2"
BF:uh/no/thanks
Progress: 0%

I agree with Judy. This list helped me much more than the plan in the book. For instance, in the book, it says no milk (1% or fat free) until phase II. It also doesn't mentioned having the beans as part of your vegetables. I've been following what Judy as posted here and I've still lost 6 pounds drinking milk for dinner and having beans at dinner.

It's a tough transition, but I've done Atkins too and I think ANYONE who can do Atkins can do SBD!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-16-07, 14:04
<---The Crazy One!

BF:

Thanks you two!
I printed out the lists for me and my bf and I've been keeping it in my car. It has helped out already...so that's good.

I'm going to keep posting my menus on here...just until I feel like i ve got this down.
(Sorry for typos...I'm on my phone)

Breakfast
2 slices nf turkey
1 2% cheese stick
1 one a day active multi vitamin

Lunch
Salad(cherry tomatos.spinach green pepper,red pepper and orange pepper, sliced mushrooms,romaine lettuce and black olives)
Grilled salmon

That's it so far. I haven't had a chance to snack yet...but I never have time to do that at work. I tend to snack when I get home.

I finally weighed myself today...and I'm 161. I was 149 mid march. I think it was a combination of me cheating,staring a new birth control(ortho tricyclen),stress from family issues and not drinking enough water.

So far I'm feeling very strong about SB. I'm starting to accept the fact that I'm eating lf dairy/cheese and lean meats.

Oh. I bought the South Beach meat package. I havnet opened it yet...but sugar is listed as one of the ingredients. that's a no no....right?

Alright. I need to finish lunch and get back to work.

Thanks again!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-16-07, 14:31
Attitude is a Choice

Its important that you find a way to get your snacks in during the day. even if it is just a HB egg that you bring from home....it will help you and your body to succeed.....snacks are not optional!!

If I were you, I'd avoid any of the SBD kraft food prodicts as they are highly processed. They are good for when you cannot eat fresh food and thats all you have to eat. Once in a while... but not part of your every day food.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, May-16-07, 19:19
<---The Crazy One!

BF:

quick question because I can't seem to find this in any of the ricotta threads.

Should I count ricotta as my cheese daily allowance? I had 2 cheese sticks today and I also had 1/2 cup of ricotta.

I know ricotta is mentioned as dessert for a lot of the daily menu options in the South Beach book...but I just want to make sure I'm not overdoing it.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, May-16-07, 21:04

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 280/211/200 Male 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vpeach

Should I count ricotta as my cheese daily allowance? I had 2 cheese sticks today and I also had 1/2 cup of ricotta.

I know ricotta is mentioned as dessert for a lot of the daily menu options in the South Beach book...but I just want to make sure I'm not overdoing it.

Each person is different. You'll have to experiment and see what works for you. I personally will have a cheese stick and ricotta in the same day, as well as a glass of milk (starbucks latte). That hasn't stalled me. The idea is that dairy is a little more calorie dense, so if you limit your dairy, you're limiting your calories more easily.

Also, check out the Laughing Cow Light Swiss cheese wedges. They come in a wheel, usually off in the HEB section with hummus, and wedges of cheese (ie not with the regular deli meats and sliced cheeses). They have like 35 calories per piece and are surprisingly satisfying.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, May-16-07, 22:08
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vpeach

I count ricotta as part of my 2 cup dairy daily allowance. I also do not eat more than 2 ozs of cheese a day.

Your doing great!!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, May-16-07, 22:20
<---The Crazy One!

BF:

Does Soy Milk fall under Dairy? Dave and I are having a lil spat over that. He says no because it doesn't come from a cow. I say yes because I want to be right
  #13   ^
Old Wed, May-16-07, 22:30
<---The Crazy One!

BF:

I ended up answering my own question. lol. I was right...and he wasn't happy.

why is it that soy is considered dairy?
  #14   ^
Old Sat, May-19-07, 13:11
<---The Crazy One!

BF:

I'm proud to report that after 7 days on SB I have dropped 4lbs.
I still can't get over how this is working..even after adding beans and dairy/yogurt back in.

and I have to admit that I feel healthier and more energetic...and happier. Dave feels the same and he had a harder time adjusting to this plan.

so thanks to you guys from helping me understand SB. I really appreciate it.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, May-19-07, 13:53

Plan: not sure yet
Stats: 204/203/140 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Hey VPeach glad to here things are going good so far. I have only been here 13 days and I weighed myself yesterday and I have lost 18 pounds in 12 days. I wish u the best of luck.
Brandy