Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-07-05, 06:05
LC Bridezilla

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 122/99/105 Female 62 inches
BF:Who/Cares
Progress: 135%
Default South Beach Questions

Hi There,

I do Atkins so I need your valued help on this one. My mother would like to start Low Carbing. She is still very afraid of fat and would probably be resistant to giving up fruit until the later part of a WOL, so I suggested SB to her. I would rather see her follow some plan rather than go onto Atkins, get bored and fail. I bought the SB book for her and will give it to her tomorrow.

My question (and hers) is this. She is a Paramedic with crazy hours and is sometimes awake for 24 hours at a time. How would she begin to calculate her daily allowances? Should she just eat when she's hungry and keep it to the acceptable foods? She is hypoglycemic, like me, and says she NEEDS carbs so she doesn't faint (I know this isn't true anymore, I have found that protein is better when I feel dizzy)...but this is her mindset.

She says she will gag if she has to eat alot of veggies to keep her sugar stable and I think your diet allows more of a selection than mine. Am I right and do you have any suggestions for her? Thank you soooo much!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-07-05, 06:47

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 110/107/105 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 60%

do you think she could be convinced to give up fruits and carbs for just phase 1?
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-07-05, 07:07
LC Bridezilla

I think in the short term it would be okay for her. But to have to continue to limit until the final phase would be anathema to her.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-07-05, 09:14

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 402/299/200 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryssiMc
My question (and hers) is this. She is a Paramedic with crazy hours and is sometimes awake for 24 hours at a time. How would she begin to calculate her daily allowances? Should she just eat when she's hungry and keep it to the acceptable foods? She is hypoglycemic, like me, and says she NEEDS carbs so she doesn't faint (I know this isn't true anymore, I have found that protein is better when I feel dizzy)...but this is her mindset.

There aren't any daily allowances per se. SB encourages you to (1) eat when you're hungry and (2) have 3 meals and 3 snacks. The book even gives a little discussion (p.66 is one I found) about why "good carbs" and snacks are better for you if you want to keep insulin levels in check.

One word of caution... the book isn't written very well. It gives some kind of "overall feel" for the plan, but it never really says "okay, here's what ya gotta do..." You kind of have to hunt for the information. I suggest printing out some of the stickys at the top of the forum. There's one with a meal planning guide, and another that takes you to the mizfrogspad site, which has updated SB food lists for Phases 1 and 2.

Also, I usually remind people new to the plan to go into Phase 2 slowly. Start by adding, say, a serving of fruit a day for the first week. The next week, try adding in one grain serving. How much you end up adding in total is up to the individual. As long as she's happy with her weight loss and/or doesn't get any cravings/hunger, then she can add in some more of the newly allowed food. I believe there's a suggested maximum on the meal planning guide in the sticky. For myself, I still have a lot of weight to lose, so I have a serving of fruit a day (if I want it), but I only have a serving of grains a few times a week (at most). It all depends on your mom's weight loss goals, what her body can handle, and what she can live with!

Lots of luck to your mom!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-07-05, 09:53
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Hi Kryssi!

I've found this chart to be very helpful in getting used to eating this way. If you print it tout and give it to your mom with the book, I think it will help her to see how it works.

Quote:
How to adapt your meal plan - Phase 1

The South Beach Diet™ is designed so that you can easily swap meals and ingredients. If you don't like eggs for breakfast, have low-fat cottage cheese or lean meat instead. Not a fish lover? Then choose lean beef or poultry. In Phase 1 of the diet, you can eat as many proteins and vegetables as you like, plus fats like olive oil. Fruit and starches aren't allowed until Phase 2. Here's a look at some general eating guidelines. For specific food choices, check out the Phase 1 Foods to Enjoy & Avoid list.

BREAKFAST
Protein: Quantity is not limited.
Vegetables: Minimum 1/2 cup.
Fruit: None
Starch: None
Milk/Dairy: 2 cups allowed daily (including yogurt)
Fat: 1 tsp mayonnaise or oil (optional)

SNACK
Snacks are required. Choose a protein, vegetable, fat-free plain yogurt, or nuts/seeds.

LUNCH
Vegetables: Minimum 2 cups.
Fat: 1 Tbsp mayonnaise or oil

SNACK
Snacks are required. Choose a protein, vegetable, fat-free plain yogurt, or nuts/seeds.

DINNER

DESSERT
Enjoy a Sweet Treat or any of the snack choices.

BEVERAGES
Diet, decaffeinated, sugar-free drinks are not limited. You can enjoy caffeinated coffee or diet sodas with caffeine added, but limit to 1 - 2 servings per day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How to adapt your meal plan - Phase 2

In Phase 2, you'll gradually begin to reintroduce healthy starches and carbohydrates into your diet, starting with low-glycemic index ones like oatmeal and couscous, and eventually moving on to high-glycemic ones like fruits and whole-grain bread. The goal is to eat healthy carbs while continuing to lose weight, so pay attention to how they affect you. If your weight loss stalls or cravings return, cut back or try some different carbs and monitor the results. Here's a look at general eating guidelines. Want specific food choices? You can now eat anything from the Phase 1 Foods to Enjoy list as well as items from the Phase 2 Foods to Reintroduce list.

BREAKFAST
Fruit: 1 fruit serving allowed daily (with this meal or other). Gradually increase to 3 total servings for the day.
Starch: 1 starch serving allowed daily (with this meal or other). Gradually increase to 2 or 3 total servings for the day.

LUNCH
Fruit: 1 fruit serving allowed daily (with this meal or other). Gradually increase to 3 total servings for the day.
Starch: 1 starch serving allowed daily (with this meal or other). Gradually increase to 2 or 3 total servings for the day.

DINNER

SNACKS AND DESSERT
Snacks and dessert are optional. Choose a protein, vegetable, fat-free plain yogurt, artificially sweetened non-fat flavored yogurt, nuts/seeds, or a Sweet Treat.

BEVERAGES
Diet, decaffeinated, sugar-free drinks are not limited. You can enjoy caffeinated coffee or diet sodas with caffeine added, but limit to 1 - 2 servings per day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How to adapt your meal plan - Phase 3

By the time you reach Phase 3, you'll know which starches and carbs you can eat without gaining weight, so you'll have already integrated them into your diet. You'll be eating normal foods in normal-size portions, sticking to the good carbs and good fats. There's no list of forbidden foods in Phase 3, however. In other words, if you want it, and it doesn't undo all your sacrifices, you should go ahead and enjoy it! Here's a look at general eating guidelines.

If you'd like to adapt some of your meals to exclude meat, simply choose protein sources such as beans, soy products, lower fat cheese, eggs and egg substitutes, and eat vegetables and nuts for snacks. You can also choose to receive vegetarian-only meal plans, complete with shopping lists, by selecting "vegetarian" in the Profile area.

BREAKFAST
Fruit: 3 fruit servings allowed daily.
Starch: 3 to 4 starch servings allowed daily.

LUNCH

DINNER

SNACKS AND DESSERT
Snacks and desserts are optional: Choose a protein, vegetable, fat-free plain yogurt, artificially sweetened non-fat flavored yogurt, nuts/seeds, or a Sweet Treat.

BEVERAGES

Also, there are updated food lists at mizfrogspad.com.
http://www.mizfrogspad.com/south_beach_diet.htm

If you can, print up the food lists for phase I and II and give them to her with the book also. It helps alot to put these pieces of info together with the book. I love the plan but the book can be a bit confusing!!

Good Luck!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-07-05, 10:39
LC Bridezilla

Oh thank you so much for all your help! I just want my mom to be healthy too and this is perfect for her!

She just found out that she has to work on Mother's Day so I'm going to give her all this wonderful info with the book on Monday. I'm also going to cook her a wonderful LC lunch so she can see how easy it is and yummy too!

You guys are great. Thanks again.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, May-07-05, 10:49

BF:

#8   ^
Old Sat, May-07-05, 12:08
Attitude is a Choice

Thanks for that link Justagirl!!

I went there and am confused about their meal plan chart for phase I. It says no dairy in phase I and then it includes dairy in the phase I food lists.

I really like that chart I posted above as it reflects the plan as it is written and works well with the food lists.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, May-07-05, 13:31
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/180/135 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 10%

Another good site... I'm confused as well. I bought the fat free milk today and also the fat free, no sugar yogurts. Is it true that you can have 2 cups of dairy per day? I don't want to start off on the wrong foot!

Jen
  #10   ^
Old Sat, May-07-05, 14:35

Plan: my own
Stats: 253/176.0/153 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

The book actually says to avoid dairy for the first phase. I think the good doctor should have had a proof reader or someone go over his book to see if it made sense. I find it very confusing!
  #11   ^
Old Sat, May-07-05, 14:36
Attitude is a Choice

Don't worry Jen, you are allowed up to 2 cups a day of dairy on phase I. This is something that I've confirmed by going to the official South Beach Diet online site.

The above link is not the official site!!!
  #12   ^
Old Sat, May-07-05, 14:38
Attitude is a Choice

The info in the book has been updated since the book first came out. Thats why the info at mizfrogspad.com is so valuable as it has all the updated official information from the official SBD site.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, May-07-05, 18:55
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/180/135 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 10%

Wonderful, thanks!!! I am so relieved to hear that, I really feel good about this WOL.

Jen
  #14   ^
Old Sun, May-08-05, 00:03

Plan: Weight Watchers/S Beach
Stats: 201/195.8/135 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 8%

Kryssie. I am a mother, I have a wonderful daughter and your mother would be thrilled with you making her a lunch within limits of her WOE. The biggest support in my life besides my husband is my daughter, even before my mother. Those are the three biggest support systems in my life in that order. So, I'm sure your mother would love what you have planned for her.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, May-09-05, 00:06

BF:

so is fatfree cheese considered dairy and thus limited in phase 1?