Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-17-04, 11:15

Plan: SPII, IR/BOA
Stats: 267/233/170 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default Headaches

When I first went to the doctor over a year ago it was mainly because I was having lots of migraines every week. Then when starting SPII the headaches went away. Now for the last two weeks I have had a headache almost every day. Some are migraines and some I don't think are.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I know that part of it is the weather. I am so frustrated. I am following the plan to the letter.

I am going to my chiropractor today so hopefully that will help. It usually does. I am exhausted from the headaches and my left arm feels like it is achy and heavy.

Thanks Marianne
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-17-04, 15:13

Plan: Whole Foods Since 2/02
Stats: 360.5/174.5/200 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 116%

I have THANKFULLY never been a regular headache sufferer, but from what I've gathered in my *years* of reading about nutrition---most headaches are food related.

I will also add that when I have had headaches, it's usually from HEAVY PERFUME or MSG being added in food. MSG goes by many different names. I think SP book may have a list of the names, but I KNOW for SURE the Carbohydrate Addict Book (sorry don't have a copy handy) has a GREAT list of the aliases. They even put it in MOST canned tuna under the inconspicuous name of BROTH!

Anyway, some foods that I have heard can cause headaches in particular are:
aged cheeses,
chocolate,
caffeine,
SUGARS,
artificial sweeteners,
MSG (monosodium glutamate),
LACK OF WATER,
salt,
alcohol (obviously),
etc.

Hope this helps! Remember, the more processed the food, the more likely it is to not agree with our bodies. Wishing you the very best success! --Betty
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-17-04, 17:05

BF:

The Betty,

Yeah I do not do any of those foods or additives. I haven't done dairy for a long time and sugar for over a year. I went to the chiropractor today. My neck needed adjustment and also my pelvis was out but he said he thought the headaches were sinus related. Barametric pressure or allergies. I hope it goes away soon. At least I got an adjustment and that feels better.

My eyes are burning and my throat is a little funky too. Maybe it is allergies and the weather change. LOL, in phoenix the weather doesn't change much but we have had unusual rain and clouds in the last couple of weeks. Hopefully that is it for a while and I can get back to normal. I am going to try some sudafed tonight and see if that helps.

Thanks for the reply.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-23-04, 13:22
Registered Member

Plan: Swarzbein II
Stats: 160/154/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 40%

msk -- I sympathize! I've had migraines for years, so I know that routine. SPII helped mine a lot, too. I've had headaches the past couple days, and I'm suspecting that I may have a sinus infection. Sounds like that might be your problem too.

Sudafed might keep you from sleeping. You might try sudafed during the day, and benedryl at night. Or maybe you're feeling better by now. Hopefully!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Nov-23-04, 13:33

BF:

I was thinking the same thing but do not feel like I have a cold or anything. The pressure at times is unbearable. Other times it is just there. This is depressing in itself. URg.

Thanks. I may call the doctor, I just hate to take antibiotics. That causes a whole other list of symptoms.

Thanks again.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-24-04, 16:51

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 160/150/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default more on headaches

I too have suffered with daily attacks. They have been much more brutal since started SP and I wonder if it's sugar withdrawal. For those of you whose headaches improved on SP---how long did it take? and do you recall if they got worse initially? Would love to know.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Dec-06-04, 21:44

Plan: atkins
Stats: 322/272/220 Male 73 inches
BF:
Progress:

When I was diagnosed as a diabetic my sugar was hanging around 380 or so, and I basically cut out any empty carbs I could, no bread, flour, rice, pasta, fruit or any sugar. I did pick up the Dr's book and refined my own diet until my sugar stabilized (I try to stay less than 20 carbs per meal). In three months my a1c was 6.7, and my own readings now are in the 120 average range (I get tested again next month). I take avadia once a day along with a ton of vitamins that I'm experimenting with. After my diagnosis and my cutting any refined carbs that I could, I had a terrible headache consistantly for 10 days, then I woke up one morning and it had gone. By noon, it had returned and it lasted for about another 4 days. On the 15th day it was gone and didn't return. At first I was convinced that it was my medication and I even called and had a different prescription done, but the headaches went away before I could get it filled. The nutritionalist told me it was probably from stopping the caffeine although I tend to think that this isn't so, because a few times during the first week I had diet soda which did nothing to improve the headaches. Incidently, the year prior to being diagnosed, I was having regular migraines, about two a month. Since my sugar is now under control I haven't had one. My best guess is it was a combination of sugar withdrawal and lowering my carbs very low (possible too low in the beginning). I did notice one other odd thing, when my sugar is lower than average, I feel somewhat sick until my body gets used to it. For example if my sugar was below 150 in those early days I felt sick. Then I seemed to get used to it and the lower threshold point became say 120 etc. Now I feel sick if my sugar is under say 90-95ish, but I feel fine in the 100 range. I'm not sure if that is scientifically correct, but it has been my experience.