Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 10:34
Registered Member

Plan: high protein/low carb
Stats: 127/120/115 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 58%
Default Liquid Splenda: Convince Tate & Lyle

It is obvious McNeil has no intention of supplying low-carbers with the liquid form of splenda. I believe we have all tried to convince them with no luck.

How about moving beyond the McNeil Company and trying to persuade Tate & Lyle the amount of potential profit they are losing? For example, approximately 7000 people signed the petition to McNeil for liquid splenda. This conservatively amounts to 7000 potential customers. This would be approximately 7000 bottles of liquid splenda sold each month to these customers. If each bottle was sold for $20 with cost of $15, there would be a profit of $5.00 on each bottle. This amounts to $35000 profit a month. For one year, it is $420,000 per year. This is a low, conservative number.

Tate & Lyle Company may have no knowledge of McNeil's refusal to sell to the low-carbers. Maybe if they had knowledge, they would put potential pressure on McNeil. Of course, all this depends on the relationship between McNeil and Tate & Lyle, which I am not sure of.

I suggest forwarding the petition for liquid splenda to Tate & Lyle and start emailing them with requests for liquid splenda.

Danarobin5
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 11:00
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/189/135 Female 5'5"
BF:42%/38.1%/20%
Progress: 17%

Liquid Stevia is available at most health food stores from thecompany NOW.Dr. Atkins Age Defying Diet Book talks about using stevia and splenda. Being they are the best for your body. You can purchase a .5 to 1.o oz. bottle for $4 to $7.
That to me is inexpensive. Go out and talk to your healthfood stores.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 12:43
Fu Fu Kitty

Stats: 275/236/175 Female 5' 5.5
BF:
Progress: 39%

If you can overcome the nasty taste of Stevia, more power to you!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 13:07
Registered Member

Stats: 200/189/135 Female 5'5"
BF:42%/38.1%/20%
Progress: 17%

well you are entitled to your opinion but why not let others decide if it is nasty tasting. I think its great in coffee with cream.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 14:26

Plan: atkins
Stats: 155/143.0/135 Female 5'4"
BF:?
Progress: 60%

Who are Tate & Lyle? I would use liquid splenda over liquid Stevia in some cases.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 14:45
Registered Member

Plan: my own
Stats: 210/176/150 Female 5 feet five inches
BF:
Progress:

There is some Stevia that tastes fine - for example, the products sold by NuNaturals - I'm not affiliated with the company, I just find that they sell the best sweetening products around.

Barefoot
  #7   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 16:26

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

If you are in Canada, you can get Liquid Sugar Twin which is made with cyclamates. WalMart has the lowest price at $2.76 per bottle. Most groceries are as much as a dollar more.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 18:50

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 370/170/170 Male 6'1
BF:10%
Progress: 100%

you can liquid splenda at:

http://www.sweetzfree.com/
  #9   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 07:12

Stats: 185/154/155 Male 71
BF:18%+/14%/12%
Progress: 103%

Matt, thank you for the link! I searched unsuccessfully last week for an online source to liquid Splenda. I just ordered a 2 oz. portion.

Everything in moderation, right? I do wonder if there may be safety issues that are the reason for liquid sucralose not reaching the consumer market in volume? Perhaps there is the fear that concentrated versions may make it far too easy for some to consume unsafe amounts?

I suspect many of you have heard the same rumblings as I have about liver enlargement, alergies, and other problems related to sucralose. While I think Dr. Mercola takes too much of a conspiratorial position on sucralose, his message is on my radar. Mercola is a LC advocate, but recommends highly against sucralose: http://www.mercola.com/fcgi/pf/2003/aug/23/splenda.htm

I think LCers are taking smart steps to future health, but we have seen the medical establishment lead us in wrong directions before. I hope we do not discover that sucralose causes problems down the road. Does anyone have additional information?
  #10   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 14:48

Plan: atkins
Stats: 400/333/250 Male 5'9
BF:49.5
Progress: 45%

I think mercola is a quack to some extent. If its not his idea its a bad idea...... If the choice is aspartame or sucrolose I will take sucrolose..... I still keep my eyes and ears open though because in the 70s saccharin was a great thing too.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 03:13

Stats: 168/138/130 Female 5'4"
BF:?/27%/15% maybe?
Progress: 79%

I haven't read Dr. Atkins Age Defying Diet Book . When did that come out? I can't remember if it was DANDR or Atkins Essentials that was not really for stevia, but one of them didn't think it was a good idea. So I'm curious as to when this DAADDB came out cuz I thought that DANDR, Atkins Essentials or Atkins for Life was his last book. Just curious. I saw some stevia today in the store and still didn't have the guts to try it. As far as liquid splenda...I'd just wonder who the company is that makes it for sweetsfree.com . It sounds great..but I worry about buying stuff from these internet companies I don't know anything about. To me it's like ordering some weird diet supplement on a late night commercial on cable TV. How do you know that the company is reputable and their products are safe, or worse...not just sugar water disguised as liquid splenda? What recourse do you have with an obscure internet company if you have problems with a product? Annie
  #12   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 10:13

Plan: low carb
Stats: 210/200/170 Male 71inches
BF:
Progress:

Okay new here, and if already covered somewhere I apologize but need to know....

If I go shopping at a regular supermarket, will I find splenda under that name, or in a particular brand name(s)?
  #13   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 12:52

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Other sites to order zero carb sucralose syrup:

http://locarbsyrup.com/

www.low-carbing.com for the Canadian site.

US site is www.locarber.com
  #14   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 14:02

Plan: mixed
Stats: 140/120/110 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 67%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian559
I think mercola is a quack to some extent. If its not his idea its a bad idea...... If the choice is aspartame or sucrolose I will take sucrolose..... I still keep my eyes and ears open though because in the 70s saccharin was a great thing too.

I would still be careful with splenda. Although FDA approved it for use as a sugar substitute, it ruled sucralose to be "mildly mutagenic". just a thought of eating something that has been made by chloridating sugar... plus 27% of sucralose is absorbed, according to FDA and concetrated in the liver and kidney.

I am just trying to be careful with what I eat. who knows what will be discovered about splenda (and not only) after years of research and consumption. And for some reason, we, consumers, turn out to be the main guinea pigs for the companies.

here's some info if yoo want to look it up

http://www.holisticmed.com/splenda/

http://www.cure-guide.com/Natural_h...sweeteners.html
  #15   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 14:09

Plan: mix
Stats: 150/125/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:16.7
Progress: 71%

I agree I try to stay away from all those artificial sweeteners, as hard as it is these days. Splenda especially, I despise that commercial with a little girl eating a splenda cupcake with fluffy pink frosting made from splenda. The commercial says to substitute splenda for almost anything you would normally use sugar in. I'm not stuffing my kids full of splenda treats. There is just not enough information available on the long term effects in humans and I am not chancing myself or my family.