Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-09-04, 14:45
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/new to SB
Stats: 214/200/135 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default 1st week

I had a bad weekend last weekend and ate everything under the sun that I wasn't suppose to and I lost 2 lbs. while doing that. So, I am trying to add more healthy carbs in and:

I ate only salads, some whole wheat pasta, lean hamburgers, salmon cakes, and tried a variety of veges that I didn't have before, gave up nuts and all the cheese and I lost a total of 5 lbs. in this one week. I am still trying to find out what is different on South Beach and Atkins but at least I am down 5.

The whole wheat pasta was new. I had such a small serving that it wouldn't even qualify as a child's portion. It was less than 1/2 cup and didn't really taste that good. It was gummy.

I also ate some fruit like an apple, canteloupe, beets, honey dew melon and watermelon as much as I wanted.

I miss corn. I wish I could have a little corn in my diet. I went to the grocery store today and ended up buying just what I know are low carb.. chicken, london broil and some more salad greens.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-09-04, 15:54
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

If you are only in the first week, did you move strait to phase 2? If so take it slower. Adding all the carbs back in at once can have bad effects. In the book he recomends starting out with just 1 serving of fruit every day or so to see how you react. Then slowly add more fruits. The whole wheat pasta isn't until later I think, at least not until your body starts getting used to the higher carbs.

South Beach is much like the Atkins OWL phase. He deos say to limit saturated fats though, and to eat low fat dairy. Atkins on the other hand is higher fat, although as you raise your carbs you lower the fat. The maintanance phases are basically the same thing. It's king of like skipping induction and moving to a low carb OWL (phase 1) then slowly raising your carbs as you would in OWL and premaintanance (phase 2).
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-09-04, 16:09
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/new to SB
Stats: 214/200/135 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 18%

Yes, thanks.