Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 22:33
... Pro-Atkins!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 312/274/220 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 41%
Talking The Fifth TDC Fitness Challenge!

Welcome to the Fifth TDC Fitness Challenge!

The purpose of this challenge is to increase physical fitness - while avoiding injury - over the course of eight weeks. This is a special thread dedicated to support members of the Triple Digits Club, women and men who are (or were) looking to lose 100+ lbs. Our challenge officially starts March 19th and ends May 13th, 2004.

Set yourself up for success!
Make a contract with yourself ~ commit to making fitness a priority in your life for the next two months. Also consider promising that you’ll check-in with this thread on a regular basis.

Not everyone who starts a challenge, finishes it. I've asked a few people about their decision to drop out; the common denominator is unrealistic expectations. When they couldn't keep up with their goal, it became embarrassing to come back to the thread and report failure.

Know that we are here to support each other 100%. No judgment. This is a safe place to share the triumphs, troubles and everyday trials of making physical fitness a priority.

Goals
Be realistic, make your goals attainable. Challenge yourself, but don’t set yourself up for failure by promising more than you know you can do.

Give some thought to how you’ll prevent injury during your workout.

Some of us will focus on increasing our activity each week, without a final fitness level in mind. However, if you have a set goal you want to reach by the end of this challenge, feel free to post it now, too.

If you like, include your start date weight and/or measurements.

The Alien Abduction Clause
Many of us have broken promises we’ve made to ourselves. Often we expect too much too soon. Sometimes, however, life throws us a curve ball. Be flexible when things happen outside of your control.

Should you find yourself beamed aboard a flying saucer, don’t stress that you didn’t get your workout in. Natural disasters, illness, injury, severe trauma, etc., fall into the same category. Just get back to your activity as soon as things calm down.

Extra Credit
This segment is purely optional, of course. But it's a good way to deepen the experience of the Challenge, an opportunity to share insight and get to know one another a little.

This time around we'll focus on improving body image.

We're working so hard to create healthier bodies, why not feed them more supportive, positive thoughts along with that good LC food and exercise?

Weekly Body Image Exercise
Pick a time when you’ll have at 5-10 uninterrupted minutes. Get a mirror (full length is best) and take a good look at each week's target area: Front, back and sides. Notice every nook and cranny, every plane and curve. Use your hands as well as your eyes: Feel where you are rough, where you are smooth; note the muscle, fat and bone under your skin.

This exercise may bring up some negative thoughts and feelings. You don't want to suppress them - let them surface. But pay attention, notice the messages: are they nurturing or draining you? Think of how you could turn these negative thoughts around to encourage your spirit instead.

Find things you admire and appreciate about your body. Think of all the abilities it provides you with. Find beauty in it's form and function.

Homework - Week One: Arms
For the next week, try to suspend all judgment and just appreciate your arms. Your homework assignment is to notice and praise them whenever you think of it. If you find yourself being self-critical immediately stop and pay yourself a compliment.

Your arms are yours, uniquely yours, to use, take care of, and to treasure. Find new ways to pamper them this week … Report back here how it felt to give them extra attention and any observations you might have gathered.

The Just For Fun Recess Question
Imagine your ideal exercise partner(s). What would she / he / it / they be like?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 22:52

Plan: Atkins/LC e-meal
Stats: 282.6/234.6/180 Female 69"
BF:41.72/34.64/26.6
Progress: 47%

Hello Monika and gang

I’ll again make the commitment to stick with it for the next 8 week. I was pleased with the results from the 4th challenge. 6.5 pounds and over 5 inches lost. I hope to do that good or better on this challenge. I will be continuing with my 13 weeks walking challenge with Teresa’s group so most of my goals will be walking related.

Imagine your ideal exercise partner(s). What would she / he / it / they be like?My ideal exercise partner would be available to go whenever I wanted to. Would be upbeat but not overly cheerful specially in the morning and full of interesting information that we could discuss while exercising.

Start weight 198.5
Chest 43.7
Waist 36.42
Hip 47.24
Arm 12.6
Thigh 26.77

Last edited by Kelly_L : Thu, Mar-18-04 at 23:17.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 22:53
... Pro-Atkins!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 312/274/220 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 41%
Smile Hi Everyone!

I, Monika, make this contract with myself and my fellow challengers: I commit to staying physically active for the next eight weeks. I will use this thread to stay accountable ... Each Friday, I will make goals and post them. And I am going to do my very best to achieve ‘em, too!

Week One …
I will do my Walk Away the Pounds workout 6+ times and walk outside one day; one day this week I'm going to walk for 80 minutes total.

Recess ...
My perfect exercise partner would be a medium / small dog that liked to walk at my pace. Why?

She'd always be enthusiastic about going outside and getting exercise, regardless of the weather; she'd be great company while still allowing me daydream time; and finally, she's not so big that I'm holding her back or being dragged behind like I'm waterskiing!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 23:04
I'll get there yet!

Plan: Atkins/nutritionist blend
Stats: 319/284.4/150 Female 66.5 inches
BF:way/too/much
Progress: 20%

Sign me up! I'm weighing in at 271 (that's on March 18 am), and will use my Curves measurements from 3/13 as the starting point:
Bust 50.5
Waist 45.0
Abs 55.0
Hips 55.0

I don't seem to be able to measure myself accurately--or even the same way twice!

My goal for this challenge:
to exercise for at least 1/2 hour 5 times a week. That means either going to Curves for a workout, OR doing the 2 mile WAP tape, OR working with the bellydancing tape, OR going for a walk, OR...well, we all get the picture. Get myself moving.

Focus on the arms

So--my arms. What's good about them? They've held precious babies; they've supported aged parents; they open wide to embrace my students, my family, my friends, my colleagues. They are strong. I'll be glad to pamper them this week, as well as make them work harder than ever before.

Ideal exercise partner
Hmm--a toughie. I think I'm going to have to get my friend Cindy to start working out with me. When I read over all the possible options, she came to mind for each. She is such a delight! I remember a trip we took (2 families) to Yosemite--and the hike up to the falls. The men and kids had disappeared far up the trail, and we supported and encouraged each other as we struggled ever upward. And I know we'd have a hoot doing the belly dancing!

Of course, for some of the exercise (walking, anyone? How about swimming?) I'd go with my DH, too. But I don't want him bellydancing!

Jude
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 23:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/153/135 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 82%

Hello Monika and group,

This is my first fitness challenge - and I'm excited to be a part of it. My weight as of Friday, March 19 is: 201.

I, Rocky, commit to the full 8 weeks of the TDC Fitness challenge. I will stay physically active for the next 8 weeks, staying within safety boundaries of my injuries. I agree to post my goals every Friday, also documenting my progress.

Here I go (Week 1):
1. I will walk each work day at lunch hour, for a minimum of 45 minutes. If I'm unable to walk then, I will walk for 30 minutes in the afternoon.
2. I will do either the 1-mile or 2-mile WATP each day (modified - no arm movements above shoulders), depending on time.

Recess:
She/He would be positive and patient. And be very interesting to talk with any time.

Last edited by Rocky_Cdn : Fri, Mar-19-04 at 08:01.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 23:24
~Return to Reality~

Plan: LCHF also RNY Bypass
Stats: 288.8/183.6/159 Female 5'7"
BF:I/don't/know
Progress: 81%

I'm eager and starting at 193.25.

I commit to 4 cardio workouts a week and 3 exercise/weights workouts. The alien clause will kick in during recovery from surgery but that won't be an excuse for long. I also commit to finding out from my doctor what limitations I will have and for how long so I can adjust my effort accordingly.

Arms - oh arms -- they will get special attention this week.

And the exercise partner -- I would choose a friend who walks at the same speed as me - and that's tough because I am not consistent. Can't be DH because he thinks that going for a walk is a going for a stroll.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 05:15
Medival Princess

Plan: curves
Stats: 298/214/190 Female 6 ft or 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

Start Information:

weight ... 216lbs
BF ........ 28.1%
mesurements
Bust ....... 40
Waist ..... 38
Hips ....... 46
U Arm ..... 12
Thigh ...... 24

Goals:
This Challenge:

Loose 10lbs of fat
Get to about 25%BF
Slip into the size 12 cargo Jeans I have and wear them comfortably!
Up the weights on my current sets 8lbs is kinda getting easier but 10lbs is still kinda hard maybe by the end of these challenge I can get up to about 15lb dumbbells
This Week:
Upper Body Saturday and Wensday
Lower Body Monday
Cardio Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday
Cardio of course is Bellydancing until I have a weight bench and start body for life then I will be doing HIIT style and dancing will become extra credit/ for fun like it should be

Imagine your ideal exercise partner(s). What would she / he / it / they be like?

probably my Mom simply because I know no one else here and we are doing this diet together already my as well exercise too If we can find anything she can do she is suposed to only do workouts in water because of bad knees hips and feet (and the problem isn't her weight they were like that when she was skin and bones too)

Last edited by crysania : Fri, Mar-19-04 at 05:24.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 05:19
Medival Princess

Plan: curves
Stats: 298/214/190 Female 6 ft or 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossling
Of course, for some of the exercise (walking, anyone? How about swimming?) I'd go with my DH, too. But I don't want him bellydancing!

Had to laugh about that but honestly there is actully some talk on one of the sites about a turkish style dance that men used to do that had the same roots as bellydance (kinda scarey if you ask me... them moves look good on a woman but I just don't know about seeing a guy shimmy )
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 06:42

Stats: 260/237/149 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Thank you Monika. I commit to stay 8 weeks with this challenge. If the feet aren't working fully then exercise other body parts.

My goal is to exercise 3 X's per week, drink at least 64 oz. water daily and do warm ups and cool downs, post more here, be on the computer less. I would also like to find an exercise partner descibed below.

Week One: Arms
Never thought of them on their own. Just couldn't imagine not hugging my children, husband and friends. They are a direct connection to the heart for me.

The Just For Fun Recess Question:
My very first thought was a young Cary Grant since I'd be so smitten I wouldn't realize how many hours we were walking. Since thats impossible, my perfect exercise partner would be a girlfriend who I wouldn't have to convince to exercise or have lots of excuses when asked and be 5% faster then me. Definitly a good conversational partner with similar goals.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 06:48
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

Okay, I'm committing too, I'll be here for the 8 weeks, I'll check in often even if I'm failing to make my goals.

My starting weight this morning is 229.8 lbs (I'd normally round up to 230, but I'm so tired of being in the 230s that I'm claiming the .2!)

I'm committing to 120 minutes of cardio exercise this week. That's the equivalent of 4 sessions of 30 minutes, but I wanted to give myself maximum flexibility so, I'm making it a weekly goal of minutes instead of x number of sessions of y minutes duration.

Recess question: ideal workout partner - would have to live with me to make it easier. Would have to be more committed to exercise than me because at this point, I'm much too eager to let it drop if it's cold out or I'm tired, whatever. Would have to be at approximately my fitness level so I don't feel too slow or awkward beside them.

Arms - well, I'll try this with my arms, but I have to warn you, my arms are probably my most hated body part, more so even than my big old apron of a stomach.

Valerie
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 08:17

Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

I am really looking forward to this challenge! I have so much respect for all of our TDC members and what a great group to do this with! I am starting this challenge at 259 pounds.

My Challenge Goals: (A) Walk 3 miles 3X per week to complete 72 miles in 8 weeks. (B) Focus on my body image issues and be more appreciative towards my body. (C) Avoid injury by slowing down when needed or shortening my time if I get sore. (D) Be gentle with myself if I have a rough week and just try to keep going. (E) Lose ten pounds over the 8 week challenge.

My Post-Challenge Goals and Rewards: (A) Be able to do 5 miles on my walk. (B) Join the local hiking club and try some of their group walks. (C) Take my measurements and buy a new bathing suit from Junonia for the summer.

Body Image: I am starting my body image work by only talking about good things.... I love my arms. They are tanned and long. I am very strong and am very lucky to be able to have such strong arms. I like the light freckles I have on my arms. I have a bit of bursitis in my left shoulder but it is getting better and I am taking care of it. This week, I am going to celebrate my arms by applying lotion daily!

Recess: Hmmmm in my fantasy walking partner - I would choose a group of TDC members from here and every week we would go on a very long hike and talk about the plants and animals we see. We would laugh and tell jokes and enjoy the day! We would take breaks and sit on a picnic table and visit while drinking our water. We would feel happy and be full of fun!

Orchid
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 08:23

Plan: Low Calorie/Low Carb
Stats: 208/175/133 Female 62
BF:32%
Progress: 44%
Default I'm New to the TDC

Hello everyone and thanks Kelly for pointing this challenge out to me. This is my first time on the TDC.

About Myself

As I'm new to this challenge here is a little bit of personal info to introduce myself. I live in Surrey, England but come from the far North-East of England. Have lived in England all my life, except for 1 year in Australia (visiting my sister) and the first 4 years of married life, when we lived in Germany. I'm female, aged 50, married for 24 years, with two children, daughter grown up and at University and son aged 15 still at school. I also have two sisters and 7 nephews and nieces plus I'm also a great aunt to 5.

Exercise:I started fencing last September, I play badminton once a week and I do lots of dancing - mostly Scottish which I hugely enjoy. Have enormous garden which like the Forth Road bridge is never finished and I desperately want it to look nice for 2004. Hence my goal! I have lots of other hobbies and enjoy being a full time mother and housewife. I've been the Secretary of our Fencing Club for 5 years which takes up a lot of my 'free time'.

I'm looking forward very much in participating in this challenge and getting to know you all better.

My Contract:

I've been increasing my exercise over the last few months so I want to be realistic and I don't want to commit to too much more. Therefore

Goals
To maintain going to the gym, and I want specifically
    1. To increase my jogging to walking ratio on the treadmill
    2. To increase to three times a week at the gym by including going to one circuit training once my dancing commitmments reduce after Easter.
Aim

Hope the above goals will give me enough stamina to increase the amount of gardening over the 8 weeks and to be able to work on the house and garden without being puffed and out of breath and in need of a daily snooze in the afternoon.

Body Stats

Start weight 199.2 lbs
Body fat 41%

Lots of body measurements as I believe you start losing the inches from your extremities first!!

Neck - 14
Chest - 43
Under Bust - 38
Waist (newly acquired waist, previously not seen since 1993!) - 41
Hip - 47
Upper arms L 14 R 14
Wrist L 6.5 R 7
Thigh L 29.5 R 27.5 (curious, had to treble check that - they say fencing makes you asymetric, first evidence I've seen that it has made a difference to me!)
Calf L 17 R 17
Ankle L11 R 11

My ideal partner would be my DH as he really needs to do some extra exercise and it would be great to do something together. Ah well, my dream exercise partner would always be encouraging, praise me for my efforts and notice any improvement in me.

Focus on my Arms
I hope the extra resistance work I do in the gym is going to get rid of my batwings which are now mostly skin rather than fat
I like my arms otherwise, although I have thick wrists so I find buying bracelets a bit of a nightmare. Have lovely gold chain (man's size) which my DH bought me for my 50th birthday which I wear all the time. I've always been lucky that my skin is smooth and clear. I very rarely use moisturiser so I resolve this week to give my hands (as extensions of my arms) a daily treat with hand cream!

Good luck everyone
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 10:04
On my way to 200's

Plan: high protein low carb
Stats: 372.6/358/250 Female 5'5
BF:I've got that!
Progress: 12%
Talking

I'm in again, I get more into detail about my goal when I am home.

But I already started the day off with a Aqua fitness class at 6 in the morning. Yippeee!

My biggest goal would be to workout when I am away on my cruise from May 2-9th.

Last edited by Dewi : Fri, Mar-19-04 at 10:24.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 10:41

Stats: 253/231/140 Female 65 inches
BF:55%/50%/23%
Progress: 19%

Hi everyone - Monika, what a great start you've given!
I, Heather, commit to this fitness challenge for the next eight weeks. To keep in contact with you all at least every Friday to reevaluate my goals and affirm my committment to myself & you.

This week my goal is: to walk 6 days, at least 60 mins, but aiming for a end of week goal of 90 mins. Right now I am walking an avg of 3 miles, and I want to increase that to 4, consistently.

Recess: I will have to work on and get back to you! I CAN say my arms are an area I have the lesser gripe with! LOL

My ideal exercise partner would be anyone who wants to walk and talk, given that I am stroller pushing a very chatty 17 month-old! (anyone willing to listen to her 80+ word vocabulary, over & over & over & over...)

Thanks!!
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 11:22

Plan: My own
Stats: 322/277/175 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 31%

Hi everyone
I kind of flaked out on the last challenge, but I am determined to excel at this one. I have a family vacation coming in early June and want to be able to enjoy it more fully by being in better shape.

My goal will be to do some kind of cardio 4 times a week for 20-30 minutes (might be HIIT or just regular) and lift weights at least twice a week.

Arms - I really don't have a good relationship with them. My left one is always swelled from lymphodema - ugh! But I do like how I can make a Popeye muscle

Recess - I would have to chose my twin sister to workout with. She lives a long ways away, but I know it would be fun to workout with her. She would kick my butt when it needed kicked and help motivate me to keep going.

Let's have a great challenge!!