Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 00:51
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 136/126/110 Female 5' 1
BF:??
Progress: 38%
Unhappy Do 2nd timers on Atkins miss their "Golden Moment?"

I was reading the Turtle forum and a couple of people had asked about the 2nd go 'round for Atkins ex's and how they weren't losing weight. My first time on Atkins was about 5 years ago and I lost lots of weight in a short period of time. This time it is taking longer or at least is coming off slower than the last. Could it be my age? Is there any truth to this??

very curious,
Ada
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 01:11

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I followed A. last year from Jan to mid-April and lost 20-22lbs. This time around I started on Dec 1st and so far have lost 18+ lbs (don't own a scale and haven't weighed in a while). So, for me, it doesn't seem to make a difference, I'm actually doing better this time around. My first Induction and my second Induction (Jan 03 and Dec 03) I lost the same amount--10lbs. I guess it's another of those YMMV things.

Nicole
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 03:17

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

I think generally it is true. I've been LCing for years and have often done induction to get rid of the effects of holidays, binges etc. However I just did one for after Xmas and combined it with a daily workout at the gym and lost 8lbs!

So although it may be less effective it still works.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 08:20
Fat and Middle Aged!

Plan: LC
Stats: 000/000/160 Female 6'0''
BF:LOTS AND LOTS
Progress: 0%

I have wondered this same thing.... I started really following Atkins back in January of 2002, and lost about 30 lbs. through April of 2002. Then I stayed at that weight and kind of just maintained through Nov. 2002 (mind you I wasn't following the program alot of the time.... I strayed, I had fit into my 12 wedding dress and I was happy). Then I started off and on again throughout 2003, but I never had that great loss that is so inspiring during my first induction.

Anyway... I am starting again (20 lbs. up from my original HIGH weight). This time... I have resolved myself to the fact that I may not loose like I originally did... and that that is what a few years of yo-yo dieting will do to you.....

I am coming to the realization that this has to be a whole change of eating for me... gone are the days of a different type of pasta 4 times a week....

Anyway, I am actually inspired... seems that I am doing better and seeing more a loss this start than I have since my original induction two years ago... so it has helped to keep me motivated...

Anyhow.... that's my two cents!

Carrie Ann
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 08:39
Registered Member

Red face induction

The waiting is the hardest part! I want real results now! I was just wondering! I guess I need to wait a couple more days! I know now after reading this site....I NEED TO DRINK MORE H2O!!! LOTS MORE!!!!!!
I too, do not get on a scale!! Those things scare the living ~#$! out of me!!

Thanks for giving me more inspiration to keep on truckin!
Ada

p.s. I do feel lighter this morning! Now, where are those SMALL jeans??
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 08:58

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
The waiting is the hardest part! I want real results now!

Ada, I think that's a very common mindset among ALL people who want to lose weight; most want to be at their goal weight yesterday! In this society, we're used to instant results and instant gratification. Unfortunately, it often doesn't work that way when it comes to weight loss. As much as it frustrates the daylights out of us, our bodies (not us) are in charge of the rate at which we will lose whether it be the first time on low carb or the 16th attempt. The best we can do is provide our bodies with the right environment to shed the pounds (eat right, excercise, drink plenty of water, get adequate sleep, etc..) and then be patient while our bodies do the rest. Yes, it takes time and effort to shed the pounds, but in one sense that's a very good thing. If we could all achieve our goal weights in a week or less, there would be no time to learn new eating habits and patterns to keep the weight off, nor would we have time to learn what our bodies can and can't handle in the way of carbs and different foods; learning new habits takes time and effort as well.
In response to the "do we lose our golden shot" question, many people do report that weight loss is slower and more difficult with each succesive attempt, but that doesn't mean that you only get one chance to lose weight. It just means that each time, more and more patience will be needed. I consider it motivation to maintain my weight once I reach goal because I know how difficult it will be if I regain and have to start over.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 09:12
Registered Member

Cool lifetime change

Thanks Lisa! I am a very patient person! Well, I guess when it comes to every other thing in my life...long lines, stop lights(working on that one!), teaching, etc., etc.. But the one thing that makes me feel esp. good about myself, losing unwanted pounds, seems to be the hardest thing to do. It is about changing your lifestyle and becoming a whole individual. I have to say that I do believe it that to attain any results at all it has to come from within. I have lost and gained weight over the years many of times and every time I gained I had this little demon in my head saying "Be bad, your not worthy", Hence the media, boyfriends, career, etc., etc.. I have become a stronger person because of this, I know. I have won and lost battles in all areas of my life and I am learning, still, how to find a balance that is suitable for me. I have to realize that I am not going to live up to other peoples standards and expectations, only my own! In this world I have to make ME happy. I have also learned over the years to be less co-dependent on others/food to make me feel good. I will get there! Even if it takes me an entire lifetime.... I WILL become an old sage!

Ada