Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 00:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 191/177/148 Female 5ft. 6.5 inches
BF:40.40%/38.10/?
Progress: 33%
Default I have to tell you my secret

I have been in Mexico for the last 2 weeks at the most incredible "All-inclusive" resort. The endless gourmet food there was unbelievable!! I got home last nite, and weighed myself this AM, and I only gained 2 lbs!!! I am so excited, I have to tell you what I did.
First - some background - I started Atkins in Oct. and have lost 16lbs. I have NEVER been on a 2 week holiday without gaining about 10 lbs.
So- This time I exercised in the gym for an hour almost every day, and weighed myself daily, just to make sure my plan was working. I alternated the EFX machine, rowing machine, + bike. I did a lot of walking along the beach, but didn't count that towards my hour. One day, I went to the local "Curves" with my travel card.
I tried to stick to the Atkins program during the day. Lobster or crab dipped in garlic butter, avocados, Brie cheese, etc. with Rum + diet pepsi was not hard to take. I also kept up my water intake.
Then - ( here's the secret I discovered) I took 2 "Starch Stopper Phase 2" capsules just before dinner, and then ate everything I wanted from the huge buffet. Now- I have lost my urge to eat potatoes + pasta, but I certainly ate everything else, including a plate full of desserts, and strawberry Marquaritas etc. This "Starch Stopper" really does work!!! I have decided to keep a couple of pills in my purse all the time.
I started back on Induction this morning, and I have never been more motivated, now that I know I will never have to gain my weight back. If I go out for a special dinner, I know what to do.
I have read somewhere on this board that some people think it only works with "Starchy" carbs, + not sweets. Well- I asked my daughter, who is a "biochemist". She said ALL carbs break down into sugar, regardless of what form they start out as. So- this product stops all carbs from being digested. I certainly proved it!
I really hope this helps some of you. I just had to share this secret with you, as I have learned so much from you all.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 00:54

Plan: atkins
Stats: 225/188/185 Male 6 feet
BF:28%/12%/5%
Progress: 93%

Good to hear how excited you are
keep up the good work
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 02:19
"Princess" of Norway

Plan: Atkins / Lindberg
Stats: 187/169/143 Female 162 cm
BF:Yes
Progress: 41%

That sounded great !!! Wish we didn't have so stickt import restrictions in Norway. We have no LC products and very few of special Nutritional Supplements for this WOE/general dieting, like L-Carnitine, Taurine etc. I'll try to get some next time I go to the US !

So what resort did you go to ??? We want to find somewhere new.... Was in Mauritius last time....... Mexico sounded great !! Please share !!!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 05:18

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

WAY TO GO....2 lbs is nothing after vacation. You'll be back to normal in no time and glad you had a great time!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 06:53
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

Im happy that they worked for you. In my case. Im a tad nervous to take ANY pill THAT'S NOT A NUTRITIONAL SUPPLEMENT.....I have gotten shakes, gas, stomach aches etc.. from taking blockers in the past..Guess Im just not that lucky
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 09:14

Stats: // Female 5 feet
BF:

The truth is without testing this you don't really know if the "starch blockers" were your secret. Doing the same thing over again without the starch blockers would be your test. It is possible, that with your increased exercise routine and accumulated muscle mass (thereby using up more calories even when you aren't exercising) that you didn't even need the startch blockers. You only ate one non-lc meal a day. Sounds a lot like CAD to me. And people on CAD do that daily and lose weight. When you increase your exercise, your allowable number of carbs will go up before you gain anything. Maybe its not magic but a healthy body and a healthy lifestyle that are working for you. You said you never went on a vacation without gaining ten pounds before. Did you ever go on a two week vacation, eat healthy food all day and exercise daily before? I don't mean to disrespect your idea. I am just suggesting that the power lies within you and not the pills.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 13:00

Nille- The 1st week we stayed at "Riu Cancun". We had a room on a high floor, with a gorgeous ocean view. We could hear the surf from our bed.
The 2nd week we stayed at "Riu Palace" in Playa del Carmen. I found it to be a bit too humid for me there, but, both places had excellent food + sevice etc. I would recommend both places. Feel free to e-mail me.

Blitzedang - I know what you mean. I can't tolerate most things, but this does not have any stimulants in it. For once, I didn't have any side affects.

Wenylynn - I did "test' this. That's why I am so excited!! I have gone to "Curves", or the weightroom daily for quite a while now.
Since our 3 daughters have left home, we have done quite a bit of travelling. I have been on cruises before, where I tried to prove that exercising daily would be the magic that would keep my weight off. I actually did more exercise then. I went to the gym, walked around the deck, took dance classes, always took the stairs. I have t-shirts I have won for doing so many exercise classes. I approached eating the same way I did this time, and while it obviously was better than not exercising at all, I always gained a bunch of weight!
This time it was not just one meal a day of cheating. It was dinner, many sweet drinks in the evening, and eating again at midnight. Yes - Once I realized, by weighing myself daily that it was working, I was very BAD, after taking the pills. I do realize it would have been better to eat properly all the time, and I'm surprised going "off program" every nite that I could be so good during the day. But - I really do think the difference was the " Starch stopper". I guess I should have explained all this in my original post, but didn't want to bore you all with too much information. It's still really hard for me to believe it worked. Today - I lost 1 of the 2 lbs I gained while away. I'm going to "Curves " today, and feel I'm back to where I was before my holiday. It's such a great feeling!!
Thanks for all the feedback!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 13:04
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

I think maybe the exercise you were doing, and the fact you only binged at certain times is the reason you only gained 20% of your normal holiday weight.

Sorry, but there is simply no way for those little pills to stop your body from digesting carbs, or any calories. It may block some calories from being absorbed, but the change would be minimal in comparison to the increase of calories people will take when using these pills.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 13:07

Stats: 151/128/110 Female 5'1.5"
Progress: 56%

Where did you buy the Starch Stopper?? I have a 9 course meal coming up on Friday....this might be something to try if I become weak and can't stick to saying NO
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 13:13
"Princess" of Norway

Plan: Atkins / Lindberg
Stats: 187/169/143 Female 162 cm
Progress: 41%
Talking

Thanks Sunnywey I found the hotels web pages. Looked great. I will get back to you for more info later, will PM you !! Thanks again !
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 13:14

Stats: 170/160/145 Male 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Sunnywey...

Your posted sounded like a paid endorsement!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 13:20

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 100%

Sorry for my scepticism, but I do not see the big miracle here. To gain 2 lbs in two weeks you need to eat 7000 excess calories. Means 500 excess calories/day. With your exercise it means you could consume 600-800 excess calories/day and still gaining only 2 lbs. Without any miracle pill - so your calorie need already higher.

You mentioned you have been on Atkins since October - it means your metabolism already better, than was during your previous trips.
This March, during a week long trip to London I ate double portions than during any previous trip, and did not gain any weight - simply my i mproved metabolism protected me.

There are literally hundred posts here from people who tried different carb blockers, without any success. (Search for carb blocker)

To other interested member one remark:
If you have ONE big event - there is no need to take anything, there is no way to gain lbs druing ONE dinner. But if you have every evening a binge, even the best pill of the world would not help.

If this pill blocks all carbs - as you claim - it means that because without carbs there is no fat digestion, this would block fat too. Perfect, we can do anything we stay slim. Hm....
Quote from a member (sorry I do not rememer his/her name):
If there was a miracle pill, would not be the news all over the world? Would be any overweight person?

Sunny, if it works for you, good luck, I prefer somehow different approach. I am glad you had an excellent time.

Last edited by Galadriell : Wed, Jan-14-04 at 18:49.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 14:57

Ya- my posts do sound like paid endoremensts don't they. Sorry - my intentions were to share my excitement, and try to help some of you. I have no connections to this product.
Coolazchic- I bought it at a local health food store here in Canada.We don't have 1/2 the stuff you have in the USA, so I'm sure you could get it there. It has "Phase 2' written on the bottle. The active ingredient is "phaseolamin 2250" ( 500 mg)
All I can say, is I feel it helped me, and I will continue to use it occasionally.
A couple of years ago, I needed my gallbladder taken out. I had tons of stones, and got very sick whenever I ate anything with a little bit of Fat in it. I was on a very strict diet, but my surgeon told me to take "fat trapper", a fat blocker, while I was waiting for surgery, if I ate anything I shouldn't. Ground turkey made me violently sick. A butcher told me later, that they add the skin into it, so it wasn't so dry. Yuk!! I thought they were low fat. Anyway - when I took the fat blockers + ate something containing fat, I did not get sick. So- they definately worked for me,too. I know these things don't work for many people. I don't plan on taking them very often.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 16:28

Plan: Atkins Nutritionals
Stats: 226/204/150 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 29%

The Riu is the most recently built Riu correct (the Gran Caribe became a Riu hotel in Oct/Nov '03). If this is the hotel, was a beauty!
I remember going into the lobby to use the bathroom, and getting blasted with full AC! The windows in the Riu lobby were frosted over from AC. My hotel (Gran Caribe) did not have an AC lobby.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 03:02

Yes- This was the newest one. I have the book of every Riu in the world right here. The Riu Cancun officially opened May 16, 2003. It is totally air conditioned.
It says the Gran Caribe Real became Riu Caribe Sept 17th, 2003.
They were building another one right next door to where we stayed called the Riu Palace Las Americas due to open Feb 2004. But - they barely had the foundation pored, and the workers were napping everytime I looked over. No way it will be ready on time!