Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-04, 21:56

Plan: not sure yet
Stats: 175/170/140 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default sample menu's

I am just full of questions today
Is CALP lower fat than atkins? That's what I thought, but judging by the sample menus in the book, the controlled meals look just like atkins meals. And during the RM, is it best to eat low fat so that the combination of carb and fat doesn't hurt you?
I know some people post thier menu's in thier journals, but I keep checking people's and there's nothing there. So if it's not a pain in the a$$, would a few of you mind posting them in here for me? I'm starting tomorrow night, and really want to have things clear.

Lastly, if you can have up to 4 meals a day, how come the menu in the book only has 3? And I don't see in the book what happens after your first 2 weeks. I'm a little confused right now. But thank you all for putting up with me till i get it all !

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-04, 22:13
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Usually, I'll have

Breakfast eggs and bacon (cliche, but filling! lol)

Lunch salad with a chicken breast, cheese, greens, Ranch dressing, sometimes cucumber..whatever's handy.

Supper Salad, meat, broccoli or cauliflower, "carb of choice" like cereal, fruit and yogurt, orwhole wheat bread.

The different plans depend on how much you're losing. There are 2,3 and 4 meal a day plans.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-04, 23:44

Plan: not sure yet
Stats: 175/170/140 Female 5'7
BF:

hmm...i can't find those different plans in my book! I wonder why?
Thanks for the menu patatofree. When did you switch to cad? I think I remember you from my atkins days
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-04, 00:52

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II
Stats: 191/189/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Oh, dear, yes!
Progress: 5%

Hi Sparker, I believe that the listings of different plans is in the CAD book (the first book), not CALP (the second book). The CAD is the basic plan, which has an Entry Version (kinda like Induction), then A,B,C, and D for after "Entry". CALP concentrates more on modifying the plan for different ages, health problems, medications, etc.. For the 4 different plans, you need to get the first book (as far as I can remember!).
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-04, 05:54

Plan: Atkins now CAD
Stats: 238/193/150 Female 5'3
BF:

Vel posts all her menus. Check out her jounal. she is pretty much the inspiration for us all in CAD. She has lost over 100 lbs on it. she is pretty religious about posting them although she did go on vacation so you might have to wade through a few well wishes while she was away to get to a bunch of menus. I post mine too but they are very plain compared to Vels. I try to keep it simple since I react to like everything.

I thought it was three meals and a snack if you have to btw. I have the calp book but lent it to a friend interested in starting Cad also so I cant go back and check.

Good luck

Jaden
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-04, 05:58

Plan: CALP to goal/now my plan
Stats: 188/160/155 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 85%

I don't think there is anything about a two week induction period. With CAD/CALP, you just start out the same way that you intend to continue.. My personal recommendation would be to start out with 2 cms (very plain and simple--meat and salad or veggie) and 1 rm each day. Keeping the rm very well balanced (dividing your plate into thirds--meat, lc veggie, carbs).. And of course, counting your dessert, carbey beverage, etc. in the 1/3 division of carbey foods. If you need a snack, and have only had 2 cms--then have a small one. App. half the size of a normal cm--include meat and veg.. After you're on plan for a while, you might find that you only need 1 cm (and maybe a cm snack) in addition to your rm, each day..
**Also meant to say--You can eat up to 4 times per day, but that should be the 2 cms, 1 cm snack, and rm.. I find that if I eat that much (or that often?) it slows me down. Of course everyone is different, and you may tolerate that many meals per day, very well. You will need to double check the cheat sheet (it's in this forum) to be sure that you are eating CAD approved veggies. They are more limited than Atkins approved veggies. The cheat sheet should help you a lot, in many ways... When I first joined, I printed it, and kept it on the fridge--very helpful...
All the best to you. Hope that you will enjoy CAD-ing....

Last edited by Tess M : Mon, Jan-05-04 at 06:06.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-04, 07:22

Plan: CAD from day 1
Stats: 327/304/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Default My menus

As Jaden said, I post my menu in my journal daily, but it doesn't really vary a whole lot. I usually have eggs for breakfast, salad and chicken or salmon for lunch and then whatever my family is having for dinner, with extra veggies added for me.

I wouldn't worry too much about which plan you are on. Entry is 2 cms plus one balanced reward meal. The other plans either add a snack or take a way a CM if you aren't losing fast enough. But the cm rules never change. The most important thing is to be ruthless about sticking to allowed foods in your cms, keep your rm to under an hour.. and strive for balance in the rm.

JMHO, of course
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-04, 10:04
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?

Yes, I was on Atkins. I tried CAD and broke my 9-month stall. After falling off the wagon during my son's illness, climbing back on..getting knowcked off between Christmas and New Year's..I'm back, and chose CAD again since it worked so well for me before. I can lose on much higher levels of carbs than I ever did on Atkins.

Anyway, I have the latest edition of CAD, and it has several options based on your weight loss on the 2 cm +RM plan. The one I'm currently using is the 2 cm and a rm, but if my loss slows, I may switch to the 2 cm and rm+salad(you start your rm with a salad, THEN have your 1/3's balanced meal) or even the 1 CM and RM plan. I find myself not hungry some days, and one cm actually keeps me full most of the day.

I lost the most on 1 cm, 1cs, and rm with salad.

It's hard to explain, but it's all based on how much you lost the week before and whether you want to lose faster or slow it down a notch.

I also would recommend you start with the 2 cm's and a rm, and see what happens.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-04, 10:05
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Today I am having spinach with left over turkey and 2 eggs all scrambled together. Normally I would probably have a 2 egg omlette with spinach and mayo as filler, or 1-2 eggs over easy on zucchini hashbrowns. It all depends on what I feel like and how much time I have.

Lunch
Large salad with protien added. ATM I'm into cesear salads

Dinner (RM)
Still learning to balance it. I have discovered I still should avoid dairy and probably stay away from refined sugars. I'm thinking another large salad with protien and a moderate carb side, or a main dish (like roast later this week) with side salad and a moderate carb side. Tonight if I have time I'm going to bake some LC apple cinnimon muffins. I also have left over LC cheesecake from my b-day and LC pasta or bake mixes to try.