Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-03, 15:03
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 188/179/125 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 14%
Question Carb Countdown Chocolate Milk for induction

Has anyone tried the Carb Countdown Chocolate Milk? It has 3 carbs and I think 2 grams of sugar. Is this ok during induction? Also how much sugar is acceptable for induction? I know its not much if even at all. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-03, 15:06

Plan: atkins
Stats: 160/143/125 Female 5-6
BF:got/luv/handles
Progress: 49%

absolutley no sugar is allowed during induction. Not even 1 gram! The only thing you are allowed to eat is the foods on the list, if its not on the list, then you cant eat it. Following a clean induction is very important for cleansing the body.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-03, 15:20
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I agree. For the first 2 weeks it is important to only stick to foods on the list. After the 2 weeks you can enter OWL while staying at 20g net carbs a day and adding in more foods.

Those who say they are on induciton, but have added alot of different foods, are no longer on induciton. They have moved to OWL and just not raised carb levels yet.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-03, 16:46

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Or maybe not raised their "official carb count". The think is: you can't fool your liver into thinking that sugar carbs are the same as vegetable carbs. And your body will still be putting out insulin to digest the sugars instead of converting to glucagon fuel and bringing fat OUT of storage.

Stick to the plan - it could be the most important 2 weeks in your life.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-03, 18:13

Stats: 250/205/180 Female 69 in
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default Now hold on a sec...

Now hold on... the sugar comes from lactose. Not corn syrup. I drink the carb countdown everyday as my dessert and I'm "back on induction." Here are the ingredients (tell people this kind of stuff jmayeux79 or they'll jump all over it!!):

Water, fat free milk, cream, calcium caseinate, whey protein concentrate, cocoa (processed with alkali), natural flavor, buttermilk, tricalcium phosphate, salt, disodium posphate, mono and diglycerides, carrageenan, locust bean gum, sucralose, acesulfame potassium, vanillin, vitamin A palmitate and vitamin D3.

100 calories
4.5 fat
2.5 sat fat
3 carb
1 dietary fiber
2 sugar
12 protein

This is a high-protein, no-sugar-added snack. The only "-ose" in it is sucralose. Personally, I feel great after having it!!

Last edited by filmlass23 : Mon, Dec-08-03 at 18:17.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-03, 18:29
Cast Iron Chef

Plan: lc, higher protein
Stats: 170/132/127 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 88%

The other sugar in it is lact-ose. Lactose is milk sugar. It's not permitted on Atkins induction. From the Atkins website:

"Can I drink milk when doing Atkins?
Milk is not permitted because it contains too many carbohydrates, including lactose, a natural sugar."

I would include the carb countdown milk in this category during induction, and would add it only cautiously later, especially if sugar is a trigger for you.

Mil
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-03, 18:42

BF:

But milk, compared to Carb Countdown, has a MUCH greater amount of lactose. Granted... to do a super-pure induction, I'd avoid any frankenfood. I'm on a modified induction to kick things back into gear... and the only thing I'm having to break the mold a bit is my 2 carbs a day that come from lactose. It's so incredibly minimal that I'm less worried about those 2 lactose carbs than the 4+ grams of sugar alcohol that appear in Advantage Bars...
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-03, 18:58
Cast Iron Chef

Plan: lc, higher protein
Stats: 170/132/127 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 88%

Filmlass23,

I do agree with what you're saying for the most part - certainly, everyone will find what works for them. However, if someone is doing induction for the first time, I think they should avoid carb countdown milk. This goes double if sugar is one of their triggers. As for me, I'll probably try it myself when it becomes available here.

About the sugar alcohols - my understanding is that they're neither a sugar nor an alcohol (someone please correct me if I'm wrong!). I found this website that has information about sugar alcohols, including ways to calculate how much is in a given food.

Mil

Last edited by Milhafre : Mon, Dec-08-03 at 19:16.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-03, 19:10

BF:

I will concur with you about first timers. I do think that after a few weeks, if Atkinsers want to pick something to introduce slowly, this really is a lesser evil. I'd even encourage this before doing a lot of nuts or LC candy or whatnot... personally, those are huge triggers for me! (And when you try this stuff, you'll find that it's very thick. After having a glass - it's not gross, I swear! - you won't be too hungry for much else.. trigger or no)

Interesting link. I do have a question about sugar alcohol that isn't really addressed on there though... it says that sugar alcohols are named b/c they resemble both their namesakes in form. When alcohol is ingested, our bodies immediately "drop everything" to start working it out of our systems. When I've ingested sugar alcohol (maltitol, lacitol), it's almost as though my body "drops everything" to work it out of my system as well... as though it is alcohol. Perhaps this is where all our tummy trouble comes from?

Anyone?
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-03, 21:08
Registered Member

Stats: 188/179/125 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 14%

I love the carb countdown milk...I tried one glass before starting induction and it is awesome! I just didn't know if I could go ahead and get it now or if I needed to wait it out the first 2 weeks. Thanks for all of your replies.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-03, 07:17

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast
Progress: 91%

It's Atkins approved after all
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-03, 14:49

Stats: 216/198/160 Female 70 in
BF:
Progress: 32%

I LOVE that stuff!!! It's a great snack. The only drawback is it says to consume it within 7 days of opening it. That means a serving a day for a week since I'm teh only LC'er near me. Has anyone left it over the 7 day limit? Was it still good?
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-03, 15:26
Anyone?? Bueller?

Stats: 140/135/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%

I've drank mine well after the 7 day *open* limit and it has been fine.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-03, 18:29
Registered Member

Stats: 168/145/138 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 77%

I just had the last of mine with dinner. I opened it about 2 1/2 weeks ago. I didn't relize the 7 day limit and was just going by the date on the top. It tasted GREAT and I feel just fine.
Kim
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-03, 18:47

Plan: formerly Atkins
Stats: 350/232/225 Female 5' 8"
BF:mooooo/moo/buff
Progress: 94%

Mine doesn't last 3 days, never mind seven