Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-03, 06:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 156.8/136/135 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 95%
Default Induction again with #10 to go?

I have been on this woe for 9 weeks so far and have lost about 10 pounds. I was on induction for two weeks and lost 8 pounds. That tells you how slow it has been going. Anyway, this past weekend I got out of ketosis. Sunday, I decided to go back and do the induction again. I weighed myself this morning and I am down two pounds already! My question is how much of this is fat loss? I read that the first week of induction is usually water weight, but since I have been on this woe for awhile, I am hoping it is fat burning now. What do you think?

Has anyone ever done this way before? I know Dr. Atkins recommends going on to owl, but it was way to slow for me. I plan on doing that once I get much closer to my goal. What is nice about induction is you really have your appetite controlled.
The first time around I was very content on it, but my husband pressured me to go off the induction. He thought it was unhealthy to not have any fruits in your diet. (I am keeping this a secret from him this time .

Junebug
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-03, 06:34

BF:

My weigh in day is Sunday, and that is when I will update my stats.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-03, 15:13
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

You are only 7.5 pounds from goal-how much closer do you want to be before you go back into OWL? The only real problem that I know of by staying in induction practically the whole time is that you don't learn how to eat correctly for the long term. Part of the Atkins method is learning how many carbs you can have and still lose and then how many carbs you can have to maintain your weight. These processes take a little while and some experimentation.

OWL has been slow weight loss for me, too-but I am learning valuable lessons on eating for the rest of my life. It looks like you lost two pounds in the week you were on OWL-that really isn't slow at all-at least not compared to the 1/2 pound a week I average.

Congrats on the ten pounds you have gotten rid of so far!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-12-03, 21:38

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%
Default Induction

The way OWL works is that you add five grams of carbs per day until weight loss ceases. Then, at that time, you should reduce your carb alotment 5 grams, if weight loss still doesn't resume then back off more grams. He also says that it is ok to resume induction. I have been on induction since Thanksgiving but I am not as strict with it as I was the first 2 weeks. I now average about 2 1/2 lbs lost per month. I hope to stay on induction until I am below140 lbs. Then I will go to OWL.

Black57
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-13-03, 00:06
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

It might be a good idea to start in on a bit of fruit here and there... they won't make you gain weight, and as close as you are to goal, you'll want those carb levels up.

It makes it much more gentle a change to the body I think...gradually moving up to a more permanant level. Nice going though...you must feel great!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-13-03, 07:17

BF:

My weekly weigh in made me happy. I lost almost three pounds this week. The reason why I am doing the induction again is because I want to lose this weight now. My plan is to be on induction for one more week, and then go on owl again. Once I hit 140 i will reevaluate my goal weight. I am think maybe 135, because I still have some fat to lose. I also am thinking of starting up weight lifting again, maybe that will help the toning. The days I don't do step class, I try to get in three miles a day walking briskly. This last month I quit lifting weights , so I need to start that up again. I basically want my size 12 jeans to be loose on me, and then I will be happy. Have a wonderful week ahead. Junebug