Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-16-03, 09:09
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 300/257/150
BF:
Progress: 29%
Angry UGGHHHHH the cravings......

I just started TOM this morning, and I know now that's why I've been fighting such massive sugar cravings this weekend. (fighting them, and a few times losing the fight)

I've been seeing more references lately to L-Glutamine, and that it supposedly helps with sugar cravings. Does anyone have any experience with that? I'm thinking of buying a HUGE bottle of it! I used to take Chromium occasionally and it seemed to help too.

I'm also cutting out all artificial sweeteners from my diet. I've been relying on those way too much and I think they are making me crave more. But what about Stevia? I have a bottle of liquid Stevia that I use in tea now and then, and it can't really be classified as an "artificial" sweetener, since it's natural. Do you think that using Stevia would cause cravings??

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-16-03, 11:53

Stats: 195??/186/150
BF:
Progress:

I have a very bad sweet tooth. It is horrible. The L-glutamine does work. I have gone from always having to have sugar to just not needing it. For me that was a cheap life-saver.

Also, I have found that when I use an artificial sweetner it DOES make me crave more and more of it, because I AM a sugar addict. So, I would try hard to avoid it for a while and go to your nearest store and get the L-glutamine. If you need something sweet see if you can find fruit2o water, it is sweet enough and you are getting your water and the same time. Hence, killing two birds with one stone.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-16-03, 12:21
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Does cutting out all artificial sweetners include making things like SF jello or LC cheesecake??

I find keeping these legal treats around when the cravings are at their worst is very helpful. If the cravings get too out of control, I may get tempted to go BUY something evil!!

But if I'm prepared with my own stuff, I can indulge for the time being...

#4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-16-03, 13:38
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
But what about Stevia? I have a bottle of liquid Stevia that I use in tea now and then, and it can't really be classified as an "artificial" sweetener, since it's natural. Do you think that using Stevia would cause cravings??

No, you're right, stevia's not an AS and it doesn't affect blood sugars at all. I am a sugar addict. I can't eat AS either, but I use stevia with no cravings whatsoever.

BTW, I really dislike the liquid stevia. It's too hard to control. You might like to find the packets of stevia blends b/c then you can convert your recipes much easier. 1 packet of splenda = 1 packet of stevia blend

Good luck,
Wanda
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Mar-16-03, 13:55

Stats: 163.2/156.6/143.3
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default unsupported claim

Hi guys.

Just a note on water. Somehow, it seems that if water is not taken in its purest form, it does not really count much.

My sister recently had a very bad problem with her kidneys (healthy woman all the same!!!) The doctor told her she did not drink enough water, and had to up her intake
Strange we thought because she drinks a lot of tea (OK this does not count) but also natural fizzy water (Badoit)

As soon as anything is added to it, water does not have the same effect...for e.g. if someone wants to drink 2 litrres of water, it is not the same as drinking 1 litre of pure water (is there such a thing in this world) and 1 litres of fruity flavoured water...
I would not be able to recall where exactly this was, but if it causes concern I will look around...

Ciao
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Mar-16-03, 14:40

BF:
Progress:

I guess i never really thought about it cause I drink lots of fresh water anyway. But when I do need something sweet i would much rather have a cup of tea or a fruit2o. Satisfies me and i stay hydrated.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Mar-16-03, 14:42

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally posted by DDMariana
Does cutting out all artificial sweetners include making things like SF jello or LC cheesecake??

Very true, I do make SF jello all the time, but I also just work hard to try and avoid it. But when I can't get past my craving that is the best way to go.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 16:53
Registered Member

Stats: 300/257/150
BF:
Progress: 29%

Thanks for all the input you guys! I will look for the stevia packets, I know they have them at the health food store. I tried the loose powder stevia before and it tasted really bitter to me, I hope the packets are better!

And I did buy some L-Glutamine and some more chromium! The L-Glutamine says take one capsule per day - when is the best time to take it usually? I do my workouts in the afternoon and I've read it's better to take it either right before or right after the workouts. But I took mine this morning because I wanted it to help with cravings all day. It seemed to help somewhat, though I still was dying for a coffee with Splenda! When do you all take it?

Thanks!