Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-03, 15:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 268/235/140
BF:
Progress: 26%
Unhappy Anyone taking the Depo-Provera shot for BC? I've heard it makes it harder to lose.

Does anyone else take the Depo shots for BC?
I have PCOS, but after five years of trying and a lot of prayers, I finally got pregnant. I lost 30 pounds during my pregnancy (I weighed 260 before) and as soon as my son was born my doc started me on the Depo-Provera shots for BC and to control my PCOS. However, after I started taking the Depo shots, my weight climbed right back to where it had started. I've heard a few people say that Depo shots make it hard to lose weight. I was just wandering if anyone could share their experiences with it?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-03, 20:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 161/152/125 Female 64
BF:35/32/18
Progress: 25%
Default Evil, evil evil...

I started on DP 8 years ago after I had finally lost the baby gain (45 pounds) from my second kid by using Jenny Craig. I had suffered for six months through 1200 calorie daily plans and running about 25 miles a week to lose the weight. With that damned DP shot, I gained 14 pounds in one month without changing ANYTHING. Told the doc that I wasn't taking any more of those, thanks very much...

I just recently went back on BCP (don't really have a choice considering some of the hormonal things going on ), and expressed concern to the doc about gaining weight. Her response was that aside from DP , regular BCP (at far lower doses than before) don't have an adverse effect on weight. She seems to be right, as I have lost 2 pounds since I started them 2 weeks ago.

FWIW, that's my personal experience. I'm sure that like almost anything else, there will be a fairly broad range of personal responses. YMMV.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-03, 07:29
Registered Member

Plan: Insulin Resistant diet
Stats: 320/240/138
BF:44%/33%/19%
Progress: 44%

I have never tried depo provera but I have used bcp for years and I have never noticed a problem with them like that. I would definitly consider switching.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-03, 14:41
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

My daughter gained 25 pounds with depo provera shot. It seems to be a common reaction.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-03, 14:45

Plan: formerly Atkins
Stats: 350/232/225 Female 5' 8"
BF:mooooo/moo/buff
Progress: 94%

I've been on it for about 11 years now. I don't have a problem losing now that I actually get off my butt and exercise. Before I was exercising I put on 10-15 lbs a year, every single year. I also drank a lot of beer too, which didn't help.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-08-03, 23:08

Plan: My Own
Stats: ?/?/145
BF:
Progress:

Ive just found this sight and your depo thread interested me. I was diagnosed with PCOS (I only had 4 periods a year) and it took me a few years to actually fall pregnant and I now have 2 beautiful boys. The drs then put me onto the depo provera. I went from a size 8 (Australian) to a size 20 in the process of 4-5 years. This happened despite the fact I was exercising more and following WW as well as trying low carbing. I even went down to 800 cal for 2 weeks and put on 3 kilos. I was so frustrated! I finally went off the Depo last October when I was due for a shot. It contains a steroid and is synthetic. It's not good for you body generally. The more I read about the effects the worse it seems. I would never encourage anyone to take the depo. They don't tell you either that the longer you don't have a cycle your chances are increased at getting uterine cancer.

My dr told me it would take 18 months to get out of my system. I am now at that time of the month for the first time in 4 or 5 years, 8 months after my last needle..this is the 3rd day. I'm hoping now these have recommenced so to speak the weight will come off and I will try low carbing again.

So I'm starting again today and will be watching and reading this site as the posters seem friendly and it's very informative.

My advice to anyone even thinking of the depo, do some research on the net and talk with people who have actually used it.

Sorry my post is long and I know that the depo affects people differently, but I have seen a lot of women in a similar boat to the ones here. I just wanted them to know they aren't alone.

Cheers!

Mandy

Last edited by MsMandy : Sat, Mar-08-03 at 23:10.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Mar-09-03, 07:40
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/185/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 55%

We've had discussions about Depo-Provera here before, and it seems that many women do experience weight gain and difficulty losing while on it. But there are also many others who have no problems at all.

I've posted this info. previously, but I'll put it here again for new readers:

Note: these adverse effects may be experienced by some but not all women.
  • Spotting and breakthrough bleeding
  • Weight gain - Weight gain often exceeds 3 pounds
    Weight gain may be persistent and excessive
    Depo Provera may not be best option for obese patient
  • Future fertility concerns - Fertility returns 7-12 months after last Depo Provera. Infertility beyond 12 months should be evaluated
  • Adverse Lipid Effects - Lowers HDL (the "good" cholstrl) - Raises LDL (the "bad" cholstrl) and total cholesterol. No change in triglycerides. Avoid use in Coronary artery disease. Avoid use in Hyperlipidemia
  • Bone density - Decreased bone density with over 5 years Depo Provera. Bone changes may not be reversible. Careful with use in adolescents. Maximize daily calcium intake to 1500 mg
  • Headache
  • Libido change
  • Depressed mood
  • Alopecia (hair loss)
You might want to check out this Warnings and Precautions page at Rxlist. Apparently there is also some screw-up with glucose tolerance, and advise for caution with diabetes and blood sugar management.

Here's the official Depo-Provera webpage - http://www.depo-provera.com/ - check out the "prescribing information", it's in PDF format, so you need Adobe Reader to view it.

Here's an article from Women'sHealthClinic.org about Depo being approved by the FDA; especially check out this interesting section, titled The Next Steps.

As for going off depo, according to the prescribing information from the official webpage, the drug level stays at a fairly constant peak in your system for about 3 weeks after the last injection then begins to drop off -- the half-life is 50 days. But it can take anywhere from 120 to 200 days for it to be completely cleared from your body.

Again .. not all women will have negative side effects, but it seems that many do experience at least one or two. Definitely talk to your dr. if you have any questions.

hth,

Doreen
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-03, 16:47
Champagne Paulie

Plan: My Fitness Pal
Stats: 156.2/123.8/120 Female 5 ft 4 ins
BF:Got some, thanks
Progress: 90%

My sister-in-law was given DP after the birth of her second child. She had lost a lot of weight after the birth and said she was lighter than she had been in years. She happened to menti8on to the doctor when she was there for a check-up that she sometimes forgot to take her Pill, the doctor told her that she had the perfect soloution and gave her a DP shot! She did not go into any of the possible side-effects, like weight gain. A month later and Sister-in-law has gained just over 14 lbs, although she is not eating any more and is following her usual routine. When she returned to the doctor's and mentioned this, the doctor told her that it was very common, but that unfortunately the weight wouldn't come off as quickly as it had gone on once the shots wore off . Exit one very unhappy sister-in-law who wouldn't have had DP in the first place if she'd known the side effects.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, May-17-03, 13:17

Plan: just a diet
Stats: 130/143/120
BF:dont no
Progress: -130%
Talking need advice

hi this is kim i was wondering if you could help me i been on this shot the depo provera and since i been on i was 130 now 143 i cant lose the weight its been 3 months i been doing so much stuff to lose it like excercising on a diet still nothing what to do please get back *************

*edited please do not post e-mail addresses, it is against forum rules.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, May-18-03, 05:26
CAD for life

Plan: Atkins/CAD
Stats: 193/163.5/125 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 43%
Default Hi all

I take Depo and luckly i haven't had any adverse reactions...I have been on for over a year and lost 50 pounds now low carbing...I don't think Depo caused weight gain for me but pregnancy sure does...I am curresntly contimplating surgical sterilization

Oh the only effect I have is ammenorhea--no periods I did how ever have 2 periods 3 weeks apart not long after I started Atkins....I was never regular in my life an was not ovulating often before the conception of my first child conceieved by in vito with ICSI
Second baby au natural---go figure...lol