Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-03, 21:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/188/175 Female 65 inches
BF:48/idk/25
Progress: 76%
Question Balance chocolate bars?

Hi, all. You've probably already heard this before, but I appreciate your advice on this.

What is your opinion of Balance chocolate bars (e.g., chocolate truffle, chocolate almond, peanut butter, chocolate crisp, etc.)? I'm not talking about their relatively high carb (21-23g) granola-like bars, but their small chocolate bars.

They're sweetened with maltitol, which I read that Atkins is saying is legal, despite the FDA's ruling that it has to be counted as a carb.

Total carb is 15g, fiber is 0.7, maltitol is 14g, for a net effective carb count of 0.3.

They taste really good to me (but definitely have a laxative effect!).

Is there such thing as a free lunch? If so, these chocolate bars seem to come pretty close.

Thanks for your input.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-03, 22:02

Stats: 305.0/234.0/160 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 49%

I don't know much about the balance chocolate bars but in my personal opinion I thing that the D'lite chocolate almond bar is pretty good as well as the Atkins endulge chocolate bars and peanutbutter cups that I know walmart sells them and they also have some pretty good low carb ice cream I think it's called le-carb ice cream

Very good stuff :-)
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-03, 22:47

Stats: 000/000/153
BF:2 much for now
Progress: 0%

I bought some Balance Bars some time back, they are very high in carbs, so I don't know what other kind of Balance there is.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-17-03, 08:59

Balance makes a number of different products, including relatively high-carb (in the 21-31g) granola-like bars. I think you were referring to these.

I don't mean the granola-like Balance bars, but the Hershey's-like Balance bars. I completely stay away from the granola-like bars for now, because it's hard for me to want to spend that many carbs on a granola bar.
They might do in a pinch, though.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-17-03, 08:59

Balance makes a number of different products, including relatively high-carb (in the 21-31g) granola-like bars. I think you were referring to these.

I don't mean the granola-like Balance bars, but the Hershey's-like Balance bars. I completely stay away from the granola-like bars for now, because it's hard for me to want to spend that many carbs on a granola bar.
They might do in a pinch, though.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-17-03, 10:00

Stats: 000/000/153
BF:2 much for now
Progress: 0%

The ones I am referring to ARE the chocolate bars.....not granola. I have never had one of those. I have a bunch of the Choc around here somewhere, I don't know where
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-17-03, 10:11

I'm confused. Are you saying you DO count the maltitol sugar alcohol as effective carbs? I think Atkins says he doesn't. I thought I could subtract the maltitol and fiber from the total grams of carb. If I do that the carb count is only 0.3.