Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Dec-15-02, 15:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 256/220/215 Male 78 inches
BF:36/28/20
Progress: 88%
Thumbs up What Protects The French From Heart Disease? It's Not What You Think!

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-16-02, 08:54
amieK

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Thumbs up Very interesting!!!

Thanks for posting this!

More support for the Slow Food movement. LC food is so delicious we shouldn't have too much trouble taking the time to enjoy it!

thanks,
amie
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-17-02, 06:20

Stats: 174/163/163 Male 5 feet 7 inches
BF:21.1%/18.5%/18.5%
Progress: 100%

Malcolm Kendrick is a man to keep your eye on. He's part of The International Network of Cholesterol Skeptics (THINCS). Dr. Kendrick's other articles are here.

Sheldon

Last edited by Sheldon : Tue, Dec-17-02 at 06:23.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-17-02, 13:41

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 195/176/125
BF:too much
Progress: 27%
Default Your Right Sheldon

I had been reading articles by this man during the week.
He is extremely interesting and I can't wait to give my dad the links to his writing.
Poofie!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Dec-19-02, 11:36

Stats: 256/220/215 Male 78 inches
BF:36/28/20
Progress: 88%

I posted the subject article by Dr. Malcolm Kendrick and enjoy reading his opinion, but I cannot agree with his conclusion in this case. He suggest that the French eat their meals in a more relaxed fashion while the British are more rushed. This he claims causes more mental and physical stress.

Quote:
In short, both mental and physical stress can induce a state of insulin resistance, resulting in a form of transient syndrome X. So it becomes very clear that the basic mechanism by which eating under stress causes CHD is exactly the same as the state induced by emigration/social dislocation. The only difference is that eating under stress is a transient state, non-detectable when fasting, which is, as you may well have noted, when the vast majority of tests are carried out. So it is not surprising that no-one has spotted this yet.

Anyway, to return to the question posed in the title of this article. What protects the French? I think it is clear that they are protected not by what they eat, but by how they eat. By eating in a relaxed fashion they do not pit the system of anabolism and catabolism against each other, they do not trigger insulin resistance, and hyperglycaemic spikes, and therefore they do not damage the endothelium in the prandial/post-prandial state. Vive la France!

Mental and physical stress probably does cause changes is certain hormones, but to suggest that it causes a state of insulin resistance and thereby is the cause of the higher heart disease rate in England versus France is a stretch. A more probable reason is the diet of the French is higher in animal fats such as butter, lard and suet, and lower in refined carbohydrates such as sugar and white flour. The French diet has been described as a paradox because they have a lower incidence of hearth disease even though they eat a very high fat diet. Actually, the heart disease in both France and Britain are perfectly in line with the low-carbohydrate diet theory.

The lower carbohydrate diet has been proven to reverse insulin resistance without regard to being relaxed at meal time.

Kent