Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-01, 19:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 130/116/100
BF:
Progress:
Default Lipolysis testing strips

In Dr Atkins book he recommends purchasing and using lipolysis testing strips to determine wether or not you are in ketosis. I sent my husband to the pharmacy to purchase some but gave him the wrong information. What he came home with was Reagent Strips (Glucose testing) strips...name brand Diastix.

My questions are:
Will these strips do the same thing?

If they wont, will they atleast give me some other information that I can use?

Are they just useless and I should toss them?

What is the name of the strips that I need to purchase?

Thanks again for your help
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-01, 19:41
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Hi Tina, the ones Atkins talks about are Ketostix

The Diastix aren't useful to you unless you're diabetic or need to test your glucose level.

Wa'il
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-01, 19:48

BF:
Progress:
Default waste of money

Well I'm not a diabetic and I'm not sure why I would need to test my glucose level (unless I get really bored later LOL) so I'll toss these strips and pick of the Ketostix's in the morning.

We live and we learn, huh?

Thanks for the info Wa'il, you've been a lot of help lately!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-22-01, 14:56

BF:
Progress:
Unhappy got my strips

OK I went to the store and I'll be darned if I didn't forget the name of those strips again!! LOL However, I wasn't about to leave with out them so I explained to the pharmasist what I needed and they found them for me.

I ran home and did the test only to be disappointed that it showes I am only in "moderate" (40mg) Ketosis. But I did eats those Altoids today and they are pure sugar so perhaps that was my downfall.

I am wondering...

Does it matter what time I day I do the test (first thing in the morning, before I go to bed)??

Does it matter if I take the test right after I eat (should I do it on an empty stomache? Right after lunch or dinner)??

Thanks for any info you can give me!

Tina
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-22-01, 15:04
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/185/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 55%
Default hi Tina

Click here for a detailed post about Ketones, and using the ketone strips. In fact, the whole thread is great ... it's long though.

You're in ketosis, don't worry about "how much" the sticks show. Congratulations!!

Doreen
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jun-22-01, 15:19

BF:
Progress:
Default thanks

Thanks Doreen, I did read the whole thread and it answered a lot of my questions. Wish I would have found it before I asked the question so as not to bother ya'll again....but thanks for pointing me in the right direction and most of all thanks for the encouragement and congradulations. I almost had a slice of French toast this morning with the girls and then I thought "now what would Doreen and them think if they saw you eat that?" so I opted for some bacon and eggs instead and I must say I enjoyed it more hahaha

Thanks for comming to my rescue again!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jun-22-01, 15:26
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/185/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 55%

Quote:
Originally posted by tina3869
..... then I thought "now what would Doreen and them think if they saw you eat that?"
I don't know about anyone else, but I probably would have chuckled, asked "Did it at least TASTE good???" ... and then lend a shoulder when the headaches and the carb-blahs made you feel so horrid later on.

One day last fall, I just knew I was going to commit a crime if I did not have an apple-cinnamon glazed donut IMMEDIATELY. Hadn't had a sweet or a cheat in months. That thing smelled sooo-o-o-o-ooo good, but I took a bite, and I remember my mouth being filled with this overwhelming SWEET .... no other taste, just sweet, and well, grease actually. The cinnamon and apple was just aroma only, tantalizing the NOSE. I couldn't finish the donut, it made me feel sick. And cured my craving for that particular vice...

Doreen