Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-18-02, 18:44

Plan: BFL
Stats: 190/?/135
BF:21%
Progress: 60%
Exclamation Ketosis and duration of

Maybe I just need some reassurance, but I did a search and couldn't find anything specific (maybe not searching correctly??).

Anyway, here's the deal: Last week I went into ketosis by Wed. night... but this week...I'm not really in ketosis yet, but maybe edging that direction. In other words more beige than pink.

Now I understand that the ketostix can give false negatives, but... how do I know if I'm in ketosis if it doesn't register on the sticks? I've never had funny smelling breath while in ketosis, nor funny smelling sweat or urine either. Basically, I'm not sure I can tell if I'm in ketosis or not

So, if it takes me from Sunday to thursday to get into ketosis, then I'm basically in ketosis for only one day? I begin the carb loading on Friday and end on Saturday.

I'm at a loss on this one..one day of ketosis doesn't seem enough to me.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-18-02, 21:12
Registered Member

Plan: Combo of PP & CKD
Stats: 380/380/195 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hey J..

just a thought...what about reducing carbs. I've been trying to stick to no carbs to 4g. a day..and I've been in mod for about 2 1/2 days..maybe that might help.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-19-02, 06:33

Quote:
Originally posted by tyrelle
Hey J..

just a thought...what about reducing carbs. I've been trying to stick to no carbs to 4g. a day..and I've been in mod for about 2 1/2 days..maybe that might help.

That works for most people, but right now my carbs are sitting at about 15g. I feel like death warmed over, too. I know people who eat 45g a day who are in ketosis without a problem.

I honestly don't think my carbs are too high. I've been in ketosis before at 45g a day. I drink a TON of water....went way over 128oz yesterday. I know that if you don't drink much water you can get a darker reading on the ketostix, but mine have been showing neutral...even late last night. Last week I was in ketosis by Wed., and I kept my carbs at exactly 20g, no less. So I'm not sure what it is. I was having the same problem on Atkins too after a while. First month or so I was gettng dark readings (moderate to heavy) then it started to lighten up, then it got "spotty," meaning that some days I was in, some days I was out----without a change in diet. I eat pretty boring, much of the same stuff all the time.

I've also been REAL hungry, too. I know Lyle M. says that you may get carb cravings for the first three weeks----I assume that's from carbing up on the weekends, because on Atkins the cravings left as soon as you went into ketosis and never came back (unless you cheated or something).

#4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-19-02, 10:58
Registered Member

Plan: CKD
Stats: 174/170.4/165
BF:Not measured
Progress: 40%

If you are eating a 1:1 fat/protein ratio, you can try and change it to a 1.5:1 fat/protein ratio.

BUT, as Lyle himself has said, all ketosis does is give you bad breath. As long as you are eating under maintanance cals, getting enough protein and working out you will lose fat and retain muscle.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Sep-19-02, 11:09

Plan: CKD Sept '02
Stats: 280/240/200
BF:
Progress: 50%

Hmm I wonder if the fat ratio is what is causing me problems?

I dropped from 12 cals/lb/day and a 1:1 ratio to 10 cal/lb/day and a .8:1 (fat: protein) and this week i really havent noticed any weight loss or ketosis.

Last edited by Big Dog : Thu, Sep-19-02 at 15:32.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Sep-19-02, 15:43

Plan: PP TKD CKD
Stats: 265/220/175
BF:

Ketostix,
Never touch em. Wouldn't be prudent. I figure that as long as I keep getting stronger and have better more consistent workouts and easier cardio at an ever lowering pulse rate, and I keep eating according to plan, then everything will work out fine eventually.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Sep-20-02, 09:03

yeah, I know you guys are right. I think I got dependant on those stupid things for feedback (like I used to do with the scale).

The scale is like a friend now... this is how I look at it:

When the inches come off AND the scale doesn't go down much or any at all, that indicates fat loss and muscle gain. So the scale NOT moving/moving much is a desirable thing.

PS.... I feel disgusting this morning! Skittles DO NOT make for a good breakfast. My first "real" depletion workout----think I may have done a bit too much.

Okay, I'm mixing threads here. I'll quit. lol

Oh.. and I've not received the book yet, and the quick start guide that you get when buy the book doesn't contain enough to figure out the eating, really. I think I "feel" like I'm getting somewhere, though. Slow but sure wins the race, eh?
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Sep-20-02, 09:23

Plan: PP TKD CKD
Stats: 265/220/175
BF:

J-
I'm going to push out my depletion workout and carb up until tomorrow. I took a needed rest day in the middle of the week, to allow for more recovery. Today I'll do cardio/arms/abs.
This week I'm abandoning the full body workout for a split lower/upper/arms/abs schedule.
The full body thing blows me out bigtime. Going back to splits will spread out the effort and the recovery.
This is something like what Iron Bull does.
My hunch - training hard, with full tension, cardio, and depletion combined with a moderate weekly carbup and a small carb bump before working the big muscles might be effective and not too radical.
For carbup, I'll stick with the dextrose EAS stuff I've mentioned, and maybe one 'fun' meal.
Maybe it's my age, I need to find the middle path. You young whippersnappers can have your skittles and smarties.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Sep-20-02, 09:44

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug H
The full body thing blows me out bigtime. Going back to splits will spread out the effort and the recovery.
This is something like what Iron Bull does.
Originally posted by Doug H[/B]

Yeah, I understand. Think I got a bit blown out myself today. I did the usual, on-schedule BFL lower body workout, then did upper body in Lyle's "depletion" form. MAN, I'm STILL wiped out.

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug H

For carbup, I'll stick with the dextrose EAS stuff I've mentioned, and maybe one 'fun' meal. Maybe it's my age, I need to find the middle path. You young whippersnappers can have your skittles and smarties.

Hahaha.. well, I'm not all that young (41yrs old this month!). And I'll tell you what, those skittles that I started munching on RIGHT after my depletion workout this morning just tasted GROSS. Blech! I ate quite a bit of them again----I should've known better to munch while driving with the tunes on. Tends to make you forget how much you're eating! LOL.

I'm going to switch to some oatmeal, pasta, sweet potatoes (and honey?), maybe some LF wheat crackers for the rest of the day. AND I'm going to try and pick up some whey protein today so I don't have to eat meat. I don't know WHAT it was, but as soon as I had the skittles this morning the thought of "food" just grosses me out big time.

Go figure.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Sep-20-02, 10:32

Plan: CKD Sept '02
Stats: 280/240/200
BF:

my stomach needs some solid fodder in it or I start to feel ill.

So this morning while on the bike i drank a Carbo Rush from Worldwide (70g carbs, no bad ones) then went home and had two bowls of cereal, then moved onto Smarties while working and had another Carbo Rush mid morning. The cereal really settled my stomach.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Sep-20-02, 12:33

The only cereal we have arround right now is Froot Loops, and I'm not sure they're legal or not.

The sugars listed are:

Sugar

LOL.... goofy, huh?

Is "sugar" legal? I mean, really... is it?