Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-10-02, 14:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 171/160/145
BF:
Progress: 42%
Unhappy Headaches all the time: Any Ideas?

I've recently started to get headaches every day. I've been on the diet for 2 months and I had headaches when I cut out carbs initially, then more when I cut out caffeine a couple of weeks ago, but I just can't imagine that I'd still be getting caffeine headaches, especially since I only drank 1-2 cups/day before.

I'm wondering if I'm deficient in some vitamin or nutrient. I drink tons of water, I don't drink soda at all, and I try to stick with Splenda as a sweetener. I do drink a glass of crystal light every day and I think that uses Aspartame but that's about it.

For vitamins I take L-Carnatine, L-Glutamine, CoQ10, Fish oils, chromium picolinate, B complex, E, potassium, C, Selenium, and one more that I can't think of right now. I also take about 3 tbls of phsyllium husks/day (which isn't really helping the other problem either!)...

Any ideas would be great.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-10-02, 16:49
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%
Smile

Hi there DHM,

I'm sorry to hear about the headaches.

Exactly how long is it since you had any caffeine at all? I am very sensitive to caffeine and will automatically have a few days worth of nasty headaches after just one cup of coffee, or even just 1 small bar of chocolate.

Is the "Crystal Light" a caffeine free drink?

My main suggestion would be to make sure you are drinking plenty of water. I have also found that ibuprofen works better than other pain killers for these types of headaches.

About the psyllium: taking 3 tablespoons may be counterproductive. Try cutting down to 1 tbsp a day and see if that helps.

Hope you're feeling better soon, matey.

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-11-02, 09:43

Stats: 171/160/145
BF:
Progress: 42%

Thanks Rosebud.

I'll have to check out the caffeine thing a bit more. I've never consumed a lot, and since I've had a little bit.... One cup of coffee on Sundays. When I stopped, I had a few headaches and if I took a painkiller with caffeine, the headaches would go away.

Thanks for the ideas about the fiber as well. I actually started with 1 tbls and the doc told me to increase because it wasn't doing anything. I have to take something additional about twice a week now just to deal with the situation. I'm getting ready to call the doc again about this. I thought it would have taken care of itself by now.

Cheers
DHM