Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-19-14, 18:35

Plan: Depends on the Day
Stats: 221/169.6/145 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default Recipes for Liver?

I just butchered 22 meatie chickens yesterday and will be doing the remaining 18 this weekend and have/will have a lot of liver to freeze up. I don't just want to use it for fishing this summer, I'd like to be able to cook it up for our protien source for meals.

Does anyone have good recipes? Every time I've tried cooking liver it leaves an aftertaste that no one likes so I'd like some tried and true recipies please
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-19-14, 21:48

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

You lucky thing, you! I adore chicken livers, and have always felt that the liver was the special bit reserved for the cook (me!), and no one else can have it. The only problem now is that very few commercial chickens have their livers included anymore (why is that? Is it because so few people want them, or because the processors can sell them separately for a better price?)
I am coming around to the point of raising my own birds for meat, but am not there yet. DH is even further behind me, so it may take awhile.
My "go-to" recipe, when it is just me and a liver or two, is to melt some butter, toss in some minced garlic, toss in the livers, and saute till they are brown on the outside but still a bit pink in the middle. A bit of coarsely ground pepper, maybe a bit more butter, and the cook is happy!
This is a chicken liver pate that I have made, and enjoyed: http://risingmoonnutrition.blogspot...on-chicken.html
I can't find the recipe at the moment, but chicken liver combines very well with sage and onions. Google chicken liver and sage and lots of options will pop up. Many, unfortunately, with pasta, but that can be worked around.
I wish I lived closer to you. I would offer to help with an afternoon of butchering to get over the last hurdle of raising meat chickens.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-20-14, 07:48

BF:

Butchering chickens is easy! Its not like you have a 300 lb hot or a 1200 lb steer to deal with My 15 yr old son has gotten over his issues with it and he chops the heads off while I hold the chicken in place over the block. My 2 younger children 6 +8 carry them to Heath and his father and after so many we start the plucking and gutting process. The little 2 only pluck feathers
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-20-14, 08:56
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I ground up chicken livers and put them in chili. Great way to eat it if you don't care for the taste. (I do, BF doesn't).
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-20-14, 10:10

BF:

Ground Nancy? You grind it up and then fry it?
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-20-14, 11:11
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Well... I guess they didn't so much grind as puree. I put them in the blender. I didn't fry it, just put it in my vat of chili.

I like pate a lot. I'd probably google a chicken liver pate recipe and make it.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-20-14, 11:44
Registered Member

Plan: VLC
Stats: 158/150/150 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I used to cook bacon in a skillet, remove bacon, slice up an onion, fry the onions in the drippings, then put the liver on top of the onions and simmer / flip / simmer till done. It was good. I am not a picky eater so your mileage may vary. How did you come into so many chicken livers? Do you raise your chickens yourself?
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-20-14, 12:12

BF:

Ya, I bought 55 cornish cross chicks and raised over half of them to butcher weight. Anything over 6 lbs and one with a broken leg got butchered Sunday afternoon. Have about 19 left I believe, they were in the 5 lb range. They are plenty big to be butchered but we really didn't want to do tham all at once