Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-14-12, 02:29

Plan: Custom low-carb
Stats: 240/188/140 Female 168 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Default Anyone LCing after weightloss surgery?

Hiya,

I lost a lot of weight with Atkins but then regained it all so I but the bullet and got a Lapband. My surgery provider actually encourages people to go low-carb after surgery to optimise weightloss (finally, enlightened medical types!)

I can't have 'proper' meat for another month at least but I can have eggs and minced meat. I haven't tried salad leaves yet, I'm terrified they'll get stuck because it hurts so much

I was wondering if anyone else here has had a band/bypass/sleeve/wrap and are now low-carbing and how they are managing it considering our particular restrictions.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-12, 18:38

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 250/247/165 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 4%

I have had a lapband for 4 years. I have had the fluid removed and now will try just a low carb diet. I hope you are doing well with you lapband! I am starting my LC diet in the morning.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-12, 19:56

Plan: Whatever Works :-)
Stats: 242/234/175 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 12%

Had gastric bypass surgery 12-5-05 and did fairly well the first 2 years. Had a very physically demanding job and managed to lose about 80 lbs. Weight stall tremendously through out my first few years. Even after surgery when I stalled I would Low Carb and the weight just melted off. My surgeon also told me that her patients had the most success and lost weight faster when the "stuck" to a diet that was primarily low carb.

Here I am 7 years later..back to this WOE and I can honestly say... if I would have simply stuck to low carbing in the first place would have saved myself a bunch of unnecessary surgeries, pain, body scars, digestive issues, money lost...you name it. I low carbed years before I had GB and here I am years after and I am still low carbing to lose about 80 lbs.

Some people ( my mom is one of them) had GB and lost roughly 200 lbs and has managed to keep it off with little to no effort...go figure. Works for some and not so much for others. I know without a shadow of a doubt I am "Starch Intolerant" so I have to eat this way for the rest of my life unless I want to blow up like the Good Year Blimp... low carb simply works for me and no other WOE will do..
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-12-12, 19:40

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 250/247/165 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 4%

I am right there with you. If I had stuck to low carb I would have saved myself a whole lot of trouble. I have no restriction with my band now as I was tired of the pain and vomiting. I initially gained 15 pounds before I decided to come back to low carb as it works, now just to stick to it. That is my problem - sticking to it!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Nov-13-12, 05:16

Plan: Custom low-carb
Stats: 240/188/140 Female 168 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Hi everyone, thanks for sharing.

I'm having such a hard time sticking to LC! I think I get induction flu much worse than I ever did before I was banded.

The band can definitely be a pain in the butt and I can't eat early in the day or late in the day. Maybe I'm too tight. Anyway, I get serious withdrawal when I go into induction then fail miserably because I'll have really bad carbs in a moment of frustration

Maybe it's because I already eat so much less than before in the first place? I don't know. Still trying though, taking it one day at a time. It's difficult because I get a lot of episodes of food getting stuck and having to vomit it loose. Not so much during the day but it's pretty traumatising when it happens Doesn't matter how well I chew or how slowly I eat, some times, it just won't go down...

I've lost about 30lb since being banded and I'm stalling now, mainly it's my fault, I've been eating all the wrong things. I'm just glad I haven't gained, which I credit the band for. No matter how much I eat, I just can't eat as much as I used to so that's at least something. Sigh.

Do you guys find that LC food, mainly meat, sticks a lot? I have that problem with all kinds and textures of meat or meat substitutes...