Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-15-11, 13:16

Plan: Atkins BSCP/Paleo
Stats: 225/192/140 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 39%
Question a blood sugar question

I'm fairly new to blood glucose monitoring. I was diagnosed with metabolic syndrome last year and I decided this summer to do something about it.
I tested my blood sugar yesterday morning after fasting - 4.6mmols/L. Then last night, prior to eating my evening meal - 4.6 mmols/L.
I ate my evening meal, lamb, steamed veggies -cabbage, spinach & a very small portion of pumpkin (2 ounces maximum).
Coffee & cream to follow.
I tested my blood sugar again after 2 hours - 5.8 mmols/L. So far, so good.
I ate and drank nothing else, and went to bed. This morning, after 10 hours fasting, my blood sugar was still 5.8 mmols/L.
The meter is new, I've been using it for only 3 or 4 days, and I'm sure it is functioning normally. I don't understand why my fasting blood sugar was so high this morning? Does it sound right to you guys?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-15-11, 16:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/231/175 Male 72 inches
BF:265/231/175
Progress: 38%

In my unprofessional opinion, you are pretty close to normal
5.8 mmol/l = 104.4 mg/dl And your other measurements are within normal ranges. And there is some variation in what is normal. You are not in the diabetic range. If you are concerned, you should check with a physician.

From WebMD (http://diabetes.webmd.com/blood-glucose)

Normal

A blood glucose test measures the amount of a type of sugar, called glucose, in your blood.

Results are often ready in 1 to 2 hours. Glucose levels in a blood sample taken from your vein (called a blood plasma value) may differ a little than glucose levels checked with a finger stick.

The normal values listed here-called a reference range-are just a guide. These ranges vary from lab to lab, and your lab may have a different range for what’s normal. Your lab report should contain the range your lab uses. Also, your doctor will evaluate your results based on your health and other factors. This means that a value that falls outside the normal values listed here may still be normal for you or your lab.
Blood glucose

Fasting blood glucose: 70-99 milligrams per deciliter (3.9-5.5 mmol/L)

2 hours after eating (postprandial): 70-145 mg/dL (3.9-8.1 mmol/L)

Random (casual): 70-125 mg/dL (3.9-6.9 mmol/L)

Many conditions can change your blood glucose levels. Your doctor will discuss any significant abnormal results with you in relation to your symptoms and past health.
High values

You may have diabetes. But your doctor will not use just one test result to diagnose you with the condition.

The American Diabetes Association (ADA) criteria for diagnosing diabetes are met when any of the following results have been repeated on at least two different days:
A fasting blood glucose level is 126 mg/dL (7.0 mmol/L) or higher.
A 2-hour oral glucose tolerance test result is 200 mg/dL (11.1 mmol/L) or higher. For more information, see the medical test Oral Glucose Tolerance Test.
Symptoms of diabetes are present and a random blood glucose test is 200 mg/dL (11.1 mmol/L) or higher. Symptoms of diabetes include increased thirst and frequent urination (especially at night), unexplained increase in appetite, unexplained weight loss, fatigue, erection problems, blurred vision, and tingling or numbness in the hands or feet.
If your fasting blood glucose level measures in the range of 100 mg/dL (5.6 mmol/L) to 125 mg/dL (6.9 mmol/L), you are considered to have prediabetes (impaired fasting glucose), and you have an increased chance of getting diabetes.
Other conditions that can cause high blood glucose levels include severe stress, heart attack, stroke, Cushing's syndrome, medicines such as corticosteroids, or excess production of growth hormone (acromegaly).

Low values

A fasting glucose level below 40 mg/dL (2.2 mmol/L) in women or below 50 mg/dL (2.8 mmol/L) in men that is accompanied by symptoms of hypoglycemia may mean you have an insulinoma, a tumor that produces abnormally high amounts of insulin.

Low glucose levels also may be caused by:

Addison's disease.
Decreased thyroid hormone levels (hypothyroidism).
A tumor in the pituitary gland.
Liver disease, such as cirrhosis.
Kidney failure.
Malnutrition or an eating disorder, such as anorexia.
Medicines used to treat diabetes.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-16-11, 02:17

BF:

Thank you for the helpful figures.
I was told last year that my fasting glucose was impaired at 6.2 mmols/L, but the oral glucose tolerance test was at the high end of normal.
I saw my doctor last week and my recent HbA1c was 5.8%. I don't have to go again for 12 months, but I thought I would keep an eye on what causes spikes and how long it takes to get back to normal. This morning my fasting reading was 5.5 mmols/L.
I have been following a low carb programme since mid July to try and normalise blood sugar and reduce hypertension. I would prefer to get my fasting levels under 5mmols/L really, but perhaps that's not realistic?
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-16-11, 04:43

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%
Default magnesium might help, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiona M
I have been following a low carb programme since mid July to try and normalise blood sugar and reduce hypertension. I would prefer to get my fasting levels under 5mmols/L really, but perhaps that's not realistic?

Hi Fiona M,

Do you take any magnesium at all? That can help naturally lower hypertension and is also needed for sugar metabolism.

If you have symptoms such as regular cramps in your calves or toes, especially at night, that is a sure sign your magnesium levels are low. There are other symptoms, too, but that is usually an indicator or low Mg or potassium (or salt).

A low-carb diet tends to be low in magnesium, unfortunately, unless you make a big effort to eat lots of nuts (and there are problems with those, too, as they often contain substances which at the same time inhibit uptake of minerals!!!), so that would be another good reason to try magnesium.

It is difficult to get a good magnesium supplement at shops in the UK (I'm from the UK originally), but you can get it off online retailers quite easily.

If you're interested in hearing more about how magnesium could help you, just reply and I'll post some links to some good sites.

Take care now,

amanda
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Nov-16-11, 09:00

BF:

Thanks Amanda, I started taking 400mgs chelated magnesium daily about 2 months ago. My BP was back down to normal at my recent doctors visit, which is great because it has been high for years.
(I also take a number of other supplements including zinc, chromium, alpha lipoic acid, biotin, CoEQ10)
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-16-11, 11:21

Plan: generalized low carb
Stats: 205/180/185 Male 67
BF:31%/14?%/12%
Progress: 125%

Here are some on the numbers that Dr Bernstein would list.

Fasting BGs in the 90s are evidence that glucose metabolism is stressed (failing, impaired, borderline diabetic, or whatever term one likes). Truly healthy people will have BGs back under 100 two hours after a meal, or at least under 120. Truly normal A1Cs are about 4.3.

That said, A1Cs below 6, and avoiding spikes over 140 after meals are fairly good numbers. and for most people are low enough to avoid complications. Jenny's blog and book, Blood Sugars 101 has a lot more information.

Most of us on diabetic blogs feel that each person needs to make their own decision as to what blood Sugar levels and A1Cs to target as goals. But we also feel that people should have the information that Dr Bernstein and Jenny provide. Both recommend lower BGs than the ADA (and British equivalent).
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Nov-26-11, 13:24
Registered Member

Plan: VLC/High fat
Stats: 205/165/145 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 67%

I agree 100% with RobLL. I would never even consider the values from webmd or the ADA. Just my humble opinion.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Nov-26-11, 19:19
Registered Member

Plan: General
Stats: 340/313/200 Male 70
BF:
Progress:

Part of the reason why your morning blood glucose is around the same as your evening blood glucose is probably related to what is called the dawn phenomenon. Essentially, your body clears more insulin and is temporarily more insulin resistent in the morning hours as you awaken. In many people, their AM fasting BGs are often higher than their PM. Furthermore, even though your are fasting overnight, there are counterregulatory hormones such as glucagon that will make sure your body releases glucose into the blood to prevent hypoglycemia.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Nov-27-11, 06:41

BF:

Thanks I have been reading up on dawn phenomenon recently. It does seem to be what is happening with me.
I also purchased the Blood Sugar 101 book which has a lot of useful info.