Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-27-02, 18:27
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 179/145/140
BF:
Progress: 87%
Default I'm moving to Vancouver :)

My husband and I will be relocating to Vancouver from Toronto this next week.

We will be located on the West end of Vancouver. Are there any health food stores (or any other stores that carry lc products) that you would recommend?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-27-02, 18:45
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Congratulations on your move! You will come to love it here.

Can't give you any suggestions on the products 'cause I don't use them. Maybe some other Vancoverites have some suggestions.

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-27-02, 19:00

Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Thumbs up oooh - I'm envious

You will just lovvvvvvvve it here. I'm visiting. The wonnnnnderful trails provide great walking opportunities. The air is fresh and clean - even in the city centre (compared to the big city in UK I come from).

The wind-chill factor is something I am finding hard to get used to. I need cap and woollen jumper everywhere and hot drinks. Being close to the sea cools the temperatures (especially near water) even on hot sunny warm days like today.

LC food is much better than UK. Stevia in the supermarkets, which I find incredible 'cos Health Food Stores won't order it for you in UK. Haven't actually gone looking for products yet.

People are nice and friendly too. It's nice when complete strangers say "Hi" as they pass. Few times I just got my map out and someone would come and offer to help me out!! Would have helped if I had known where I was going Half the time I look at the map to see what other interesting place I can go to!!

Take care.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-27-02, 22:07
Registered Member

BF:
Default Thanks for the info...

can anyone recommend a good Dr. in the area? I'm looking for someone who is open to alternative views.

With my reactive hypoglycemia, I should always have a Dr. that I'm familiar with, although I do have it almost totally under control. I hate going and trying out new Dr.'s without recommendations from others, so if anyone has either an M.D. or even just an alternative Dr. they can recommend, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks again
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-28-02, 08:50
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

There is the BC Naturopathic Association.

Here's the website: http://www.bcna.bc.ca/

Karen
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-28-02, 11:38
Registered Member

BF:
Default Thank you :)

If I don't get any recommendations, then I will just start going down the list.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-30-02, 14:44

Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Thumbs down Flipside of "Good" is "?"

m2demelo,

Sadly, I have to say there is no heaven on earth. Every place has its good points and its flipside.

We went to Whistler a few days ago and my rucksack was stolen from the boot of the car while we went for a little walk down to a beautiful lake.

It has been handed in this morning (thrown into some shrubs ) and I will get it back (probably minus whatever the thieves thought was of value) later in the week.

It sure put a damper on my holiday.

Take Extra Care when you get here - easy to be fooled by the serene beauty all around.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-30-02, 15:27
Registered Member

BF:
Default I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience

You're not alone..I've actually heard many stories about how high the crime rate is in Vancouver. A friend of mine has had her car broken into twice, and a year ago she lived in brand new condo building, on the 5th floor, and someone actually climbed up the balconies, came right into her apartment while she was sleeping, and stole her notebook and a few other valuable things.

We'll be sure to be as careful as possible.