Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-25-02, 09:12

Plan: Montignac
Stats: 210/202/160
BF:
Progress: 16%
Exclamation Important Candida Info.

I thought I would share my experience and hopefully provide some answers to the various candida questions to you fellow sufferers.

I've been suffering from Candida but was finally able to find out definitely recently. After years of kidney issues, lower intestinal issues and vaginal yeast infections every second month, among other symptoms, for the last few years, I am now on my way to recovery.

I have spent the last 3 months doing research on Candida on the net and in libraries, etc... What I have found out is that over 80-million people in NA suffer from Candida--both men and women.

Some of the symptoms include vaginal yeast infections, irritable bowel syndrome and like symptoms, exema-type rash, joint aches/pains, painful menstruation, irregular menstruation, mood swings (in men also), inability to lose weight, poor sleep, sugar cravings and whole menu of other symptoms. Symptoms also tend to be more prevalent in damp/humid weather. Even high blood pressure can be a symptom!

Causes include allergy to perfumes or scented chemicals, too much sugar in the diet, antibiotic use and even old mercury fillings in the teeth which release a chemical "gas" in the body when you bite down on them.

I have also found out that Candida IS treatable but that it takes time. But you won't find a cure, it seems, from your family doctor.

I wasn't getting any decent information from the conventional medical community. Very frustrating. So I went to the local Naturopathic college for an appointment with an intern and her supervisor. (This is WAY cheaper than going to an established business but you do spend more time in their offices since the interns are also still learning.)

I underwent a physical, answered some specifically-designed questionnaires, submitted a week-long menu of the things I had eaten, a menstrual calendar and took my temperature daily to rule out all other possible diseases (ie: poly-cystic ovaries, cholesteral, etc..) This was an intricate process. There is a blood test available but since my diagnosis was evident after the physical and questionning, etc... we decided that it wasn't needed.

I was advised to take HMF (a brand of acidophilus/bacillus) to repopulate the good bacteria in my body. I take this twice a day half and hour before meals. And in order to kill the yeast, a botanical solution was prepared which I take 3 times a day, 15 minutes before meals. It's important to take these on an empty stomac.

The thing about Candida is that it can't be treated in a chemical way. Drugs such as anti-biotics can actually increase yeast. Candida must be treated in a mechanical way -- like beating it up until it gives up and leaves your body. Such a process has be done in steps in a way that "confuses" the yeast so it can't adapt to the treatment you're trying to use against it.

My diet was already good since I follow a combination of Montignac and Dr. Atkins. I also do not use any sugar or sugar products -- which is THE most important thing to eliminate when one has yeast.

The result, so far (in my third week), has been almost astounding. I'm starting to lose weight, I feel emotionally more stable, more energetic, and I feel "cleaner" inside. I hope this doesn't offend anyone but I have to say that even my sex life has dramatically benefitted from this treatment.

I know I still have a way to go -- I'm only a third of the way through my botanical solution. But I already feel an incredible difference. If you suspect you suffer from Candida, I would strongly suggest you visit a Naturopath and get some help. It will totally be worth your while.

I will update this thread as time passes if anyone is interested.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-25-02, 12:10

Plan: Atkins mainly
Stats: 150/148/130
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default reactions

fnkygddss: how soon after you eat something that causes your yeast to react do you notice the symptoms flaring up? In general, I feel pretty good when I eat yeast-free, but occassionally I guess I eat something that makes me bloated or tired and I am trying to figure out what it is by process of elimination, but I don't know if you feel symptoms right away or within a few days or what... thanks.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-25-02, 15:11
Pending Member

Plan: Anti-Candida
Stats: 152/150/130
BF:
Progress: 9%

Hi Fnkygdds

Of course we are interested in your updating this thread. One question. What is a botanical solution? Did you mix this up or your naturopath.

I look on the net for naturopath colleges in my area and there are none in the Pittsburgh area (at least that I can find). Thanks.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-25-02, 15:39

BF:
Default Re: reactions

It's hard to say, not2fat, since it IS a process of eliminiation issue when it comes to foods. But generally speaking, I can feel bloated, lazy, hazy and generally yucky within an hour of eating sugar or any foods that I shouldn't be eating. When this happens, I find I have to drink a whole pot of ginger tea just to push the food through. My body has become quite sensitive in recent years.

The external symptoms (ie: vaginal infection) appear within a day or two of using a scented soap in the shower or laundry. The last time I had to take antibiotics, I got a "violent" vag yeast infection within 24 hours of starting the meds. I basically use alternative therapies as preventative maintenance in order to avoid getting sick AND I've changed all of the soaps in my home to non-allergenic, natural, unscented products.

The best way I found to deal with the food issue is to basically cut out EVERTHING that is suggested to cut out. Then, after a while, start to reintroduce the "suspect" foods one at a time. It can be frustrating and long and disheartening but once you find out which foods are "toxic" to you, then you can better deal with your Candida. I basically don't eat anything anymore that has given me a reaction in the past. Maybe one day I will but for now, I'd rather be yeast free.

Another thing you can do is totally avoid eating leftovers. Only eat fresh and eat raw foods as much as possible. Leftovers alone, for some people, can be a cause of yeast flare up. If you can, try to find a butcher who only carries naturally raised and grain-fed meats. Believe it or not, I find that whenever I eat genetically modified foods, I get flare up. I feel sick and "clogged" and bloated and moody. Now I only eat organic foods -- veggies and meats included.

I hope this helps. Good luck!!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by not2fat
[B]fnkygddss: how soon after you eat something that causes your yeast to react do you notice the symptoms flaring up?
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-25-02, 15:46

BF:

The botanical solution was mixed by my Naturopath. This isn't something I did myself. In fact, I would encourage anyone to NOT self-diagnose or self-prescribe anything.

If you can't find a Naturopath, look for a Homeopath. You may have better luck if you go to a health food store and get a listing from them.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally posted by ellbeegee
Hi Fnkygdds

Of course we are interested in your updating this thread. One question. What is a botanical solution? Did you mix this up or your naturopath.

I look on the net for naturopath colleges in my area and there are none in the Pittsburgh area (at least that I can find). Thanks.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-09-02, 14:57

Plan: Atkins/Kaufmann
Stats: 230/203/140
BF:48
Progress: 30%
Thumbs up Naturopaths in PA

To Ellbeegee in PA.....

Medical Wellness Associates is located at:
91 Lincoln Highway East
Route 30 Jeannette, PA 15644
724-523-5505
800-834-4325 (412/724 area code only)

Office Hours: Monday 8:00 AM to 7:30 PM
Tuesday 8:00 AM to 7:30 PM
Wednesday 8:00 AM to 7:30 PM
Thursday 8:00 AM to 6:30 PM
Friday 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM
Saturday 8:00 AM to 12:00 Noon

www.vitamincoach.com

If I could afford to fly there, that's where I'd go!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Sep-27-02, 14:53
Registered Member

Plan: my own
Stats: 330/330/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 0%

I know it's been a while since anyone has written on here, but I have a question.

Fnkygddss, thank you for your info, muchly appreciated. Do you mind if I ask what your mix of Montignac and Atkins are? That seems a little confusing to me since Montignac follows the Glycemic Index and carbs are not restricted.

Thanks!

Bry