Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-10, 14:39

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 165/130/125 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 88%
Default Whey protein and chicken coating?

Has anyone used whey protein powder for coating chicken prior to dipping in egg, prior to coating in flax/parmesan/almond meal or the like?
I just can't get anything to stick to chicken that I plan to fry(or bake for that matter). I'm trying to find a happy medium between DH's fried chicken strips and LC coating for me. I used to coat in flour (before this WOE)to make the egg stick, then in whatever crumbs or coating I was using. I just happen to have whey powder in the freezer, but I don't want to try it and lose the coating yet again.
I hate soy flour, won't use it...any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-10, 15:08
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210.5/181/145 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 45%

I have no problems with dipping my chicken in egg and then in parmesan cheese to bake or fry. I also used it for eggplant and squash.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-10, 16:41
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by noinwi
Has anyone used whey protein powder for coating chicken prior to dipping in egg, prior to coating in flax/parmesan/almond meal or the like?
I just can't get anything to stick to chicken that I plan to fry(or bake for that matter). I'm trying to find a happy medium between DH's fried chicken strips and LC coating for me. I used to coat in flour (before this WOE)to make the egg stick, then in whatever crumbs or coating I was using. I just happen to have whey powder in the freezer, but I don't want to try it and lose the coating yet again.
I hate soy flour, won't use it...any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

If you make sure the chicken is as dry as possible, the egg should stick.
Even in my pre LC days, I never bothered with flour, before egg-and-bread-crumbing chicken or fish.
I suspect that protein powder would taste a bit odd.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-10, 16:57

BF:

Thank you, Rosebud. I am using skinless/boneless breasts. Don't know if it makes a difference. I usually get them as dry as possible, but if using just egg before coating, the coating falls off when I turn the strips in the skillet. I'd like something that can be picked up with the fingers without the meat slipping out into the dip, LOL, but that may be asking too much. The whey powder doesn't have much of a taste (unlike soy flour which I find to be harsh and bitter), but I've never tasted it 'cooked'. I have two large breasts to cut up, so I'll try half the batch with just egg, and the other half dusted with the whey and see what happens. Thanks again.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-10, 20:34

BF:

Here's the results: The whey coated chicken strips held the coating on better than just egg coated. I was surprised that there was a difference. The thin coat of whey soaked up moisture from the chicken(even though I dried it first)and got sticky like glue, which held more egg and then more coating. I used ground almonds, parmesan, and a little wheat germ. The whey smelled like powdered milk, but had no discernible taste after frying.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-19-10, 12:01
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Thanks for reporting back; sounds like 'plain' or unflavoured whey protein powder. Can you clarify if this is Whey Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Concentrate OR a mix of the two? (WPC is often quite a bit sweeter but also 'stickier').

#7   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-10, 11:58

BF:

Sorry to get back to you so late...it's Bob's Red Mill Whey Protein Concentrate.