Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-09, 17:18

Plan: paleo
Stats: 134/143/154 Male 183cm
BF:
Progress:
Default Changes in personality?

It may sound weird, but I think that low carbing is changing my personality. Since I'm not eating refined carbs or cereal derived products, I feel happier, more optimistic and extremly energetic. I don't need a lot of sleep as well, now with 7 to 8 hours I'm reloaded, before I had to sleep around 10 hours and wouldn't feel good, always tired, and that since my childhood.

I have also some tingling sensations in my head, on top of it and my circulation has improved, when before I would have cold hands, now they're warm, my feet as well.

Has anyone experienced this as well? Or is it only my imagination?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-09, 17:35

Plan: As low as possible
Stats: 116/116/112 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 0%

I haven't had the noticeable effects that you have but I've been doing it a lot long to one degree or another. I will say that when I eat a lot of carbs I feel like a bloated toad ready to sleep for a year.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-09, 17:40

Plan: LC/IF
Stats: 180/173.8/150 Female 5'9"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 21%

LC definitely helps my mood to be a good one! I can get pretty cranky and get a dragging down feeling when I eat a bunch of carbs and sugary stuff. I feel so much better on LC!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-09, 17:50
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I wonder if it is because of the extra fat we're eating. I just watched that "Fat Head" video and they talked a lot about the depression people following low fat diets suffer from.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-09, 18:07

BF:
Progress:

You can't imagine how many people tell me that they feel crappy after a pizza or spaghetti serving, for example, it was my experience as well, I ate carby at midday and was barely able to work the afternoon.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-09, 06:28

Plan: As low as possible
Stats: 116/116/112 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I wonder if it is because of the extra fat we're eating. I just watched that "Fat Head" video and they talked a lot about the depression people following low fat diets suffer from.

I think that has a lot to do with it. I feel a lot better and more balanced out mentally when I eat fat.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-09, 06:42

Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Stats: 212/162/155 Male 68 "
BF:32/23.5/23.5
Progress: 88%

I think it has to do with lowered blood sugar levels, not the food, although, the food choices lower the blood sugar..
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-09, 10:44

Plan: atkins/paleo/IF
Stats: 186.5/159.0/160 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunboy47
I think it has to do with lowered blood sugar levels, not the food, although, the food choices lower the blood sugar..

Lower BGL probably makes us all feel better.

But don't forget - simply knowing the truth brings a real high, too. For some people religion does this. But for me, continually reading about low carb, weston price, and paleo,has wiped much confusion from my mind.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-09, 12:44

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I feel happier, calm and less depressed eating HF/vLC. First thing I notice if I eat too many carbs, even "legal" non-junk carbs, is I get irritated and cranky.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-09, 13:49

Plan: LCHF, IF
Stats: 265/210/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 42%

Yes, my mood is better. I'm attributing it to having less body getting in my way, and therefore being able to be more active, but that's not a factor for you, OP. So maybe it is the food. Large amounts of sugar make me cranky, but grains don't.

Meg
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-09, 23:08

Plan: LC since 1/15/09
Stats: 317/278/217 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 39%

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgimA
It may sound weird, but I think that low carbing is changing my personality. Since I'm not eating refined carbs or cereal derived products, I feel happier, more optimistic and extremly energetic. I don't need a lot of sleep as well, now with 7 to 8 hours I'm reloaded, before I had to sleep around 10 hours and wouldn't feel good, always tired, and that since my childhood.

I have also some tingling sensations in my head, on top of it and my circulation has improved, when before I would have cold hands, now they're warm, my feet as well.

Has anyone experienced this as well? Or is it only my imagination?

I have written about this effect extensively in several posts on other threads and in my journal. I think I am heading for a full recovery from chronic fatigue. I am really happy with my new way of life.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-09, 08:09

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NrgQuest
I have written about this effect extensively in several posts on other threads and in my journal. I think I am heading for a full recovery from chronic fatigue. I am really happy with my new way of life.

I read your journal, impressive! I loved your "asshats" comment,