Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-10-07, 09:44
Pasta is EVIL, EVIL!

Plan: my own variant of Atkins
Stats: 240/217/115 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:And then some....
Progress: 18%
Default Anyone with Meniere's?

Hi kids,

I searched this forum and couldn't find an answer to my question, so I made a new post. ^_^

I was wondering if anyone here has Meniere's disease like I do. I was diagnosed with it almost a year ago [been suffering symptoms for more than two years now] and my doctor put me on a diuretic to lose water. I've been doing a lot of reading and research on it lately, mainly because it's getting worse O_o and I've read some interesting things about Meniere's and getting better with low-carb diets. I personally have not noticed any improvement--like I said previously, it's getting worse.

So I ask you--if anyone here has the dreaded Meniere's, did it get better or worse when you went low-carb? I'd appreciate any response.

Links!:
The Meniere's Page
Meniere's and the Atkins Diet
WTF is Meniere's Disease?

*mods feel free to move this if it's not in the right spot!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-11-07, 07:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 159/142/120 Female 5'5"
BF:?%/27%/cur20%18%
Progress: 44%

HI,

2 months ago I expreinced what I htought was an aura to a migraine, as I have them periodically. The next morning I awoke to an episode of vertigo that left me lietarlly unable to walk( thought I had a stroke) and vomiting any time I raised my head.

Fast forward after having numerous tests performed it was determined that I have damage to my vestibular nerve resulting in a 40% decreased function. My vertigo is better, but I still have some balance abnormalities.
No one has been able to determine the causitive factor, other than the ongoing "autoimmune" label that has been placed on my unusual symptoms.
At any rate I have discontinued all diet beverages, erythritol, and drastically decrease Splenda. I am embarrassed to say my usage of these was enourmous. I am also getting back to basics in regards to low carbing as I had gotton off track with that as well.
I think that you will have to trial and error what helps your symptoms, and wondered if perhaps you have had any Physical therapy for your symptoms. My understanding is that this is helpful.
I know how scary such a problem can be, and hope that you find a way to control your symptoms.
Kristen
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-11-07, 09:20
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I don't have Meniere's but someone I worked with did, sounds horrible. It sounds like, from some accounts, that it is an autoimmune disease. I've had very good luck controlling my autoimmune disease by following the Paleo diet. I think I have food intolerances to grains and dairy that were making things worse.