Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-19-07, 16:16
Krazy Karb Kel

Plan: south beach/atkins
Stats: 174/154/135 ? Female 5 feet or so
BF:not sure....
Progress: 20%
Default Nursing / Breastfeeding

Is there a support group for nursing ? breastfeeding mom's here ? IOf not , I would like to start one....

Thanks,

Kelly
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-19-07, 16:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/133/120 Female 60 in
BF:52.4/35/22
Progress: 76%

I'm done nursing (for now), but I'm happy to join in the support thing. I've nursed 2 babies, through many challenges. My aunt was an expert and researcher in the field of nursing and pregnancy, and passed along a lot of her wisdom to me before she died last year.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-19-07, 23:41
Krazy Karb Kel

I am nursing a 3.5 month old and last week decide to restart my old LC lifestyle. I need to drop at least 30 lbs. I tried induction, but after day 4 or 5 I could tell my milk supply had diminished.

I ate "regular" and by the next morning my milk was full !!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-07, 03:43
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%

Hi! I'm currently nursing an 8mo, my 2nd baby to BF while low carbing. If you look through the threads in this pregnancy forum, you'll find alot devoted to nursing and LC. I've posted quite a bit in them; feel free to ask questions either here or in my journal. There are quite a few of us BF'ing moms here.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-07, 07:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deshukel
I am nursing a 3.5 month old and last week decide to restart my old LC lifestyle. I need to drop at least 30 lbs. I tried induction, but after day 4 or 5 I could tell my milk supply had diminished.

I ate "regular" and by the next morning my milk was full !!

I wonder if some fenugreek would help you to be able to eat low carb but produce enough milk.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-07, 12:04
Krazy Karb Kel

Is fenugreek generally meant to aid in milk supply ?
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-07, 12:07
Krazy Karb Kel

Ok, I looked it up, Maybe I will try that, cause I am really really sick of being this fat.

Generally I am flowing like a fountain, so weird to see her pulling and struggling to get milk. Maybe my body is just weird, or I had my carbs too low.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-07, 12:57

When I've used Fenugreek (2 capsules 3X a day) it increases supply within 12-24 hours.

One caution, I don't know if this is an issue for you or not, but I know it can have an impact on your blood sugar, so check and make sure you can use it and not mess with your diet plan.

You know, all the foods I can think of that help increase supply have higher carb contents...I don't think you're wierd, I think you just need to find what works for both of you! Your baby is less likely to have problems with her weight if you can keep nursing for the full 12 months!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-07, 13:11

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:

The book "Mother Food" is low carb sensitive and basically recommends different traditional methods of increasing milk supply. Highlights: eat barley and drink barley tea, fenugreek, good fats including butter, oatmeal etc.

Janine
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jun-22-07, 06:35

Plan: Mod Atkins
Stats: 170/162/110 Female 5 ft
BF:
Progress: 13%

I'm still breast feeding my 10 month old. I live in a small town & can't find that fenugreek but her DR also recommended Milk Thistle to increase the milk supply. It seems to be working for me.

I'm defintely interested in a support group for breast feeding mothers.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jun-22-07, 14:10

Plan: CKD
Stats: 225/180/175 Female 179cm
BF:
Progress:

I talked to a woman yesterday who took milk thistle for constipation and the next day she had 20oz extra for the freezer.

I nursed all of my babies, and lost a lot of weight while LC on the last one. She swore it didn't affect my milk.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jun-22-07, 15:44

Plan: Mod Atkins
Stats: 170/162/110 Female 5 ft
BF:
Progress: 13%

Wow I didn't know Milk Thistle was good for constipation. I know it's good for your liver.

Wow that's alot of milk, maybe that's why it's called Milk thistle. LOL
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jun-23-07, 05:59
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%

If you're having issues with milk supply, doublecheck your calories and make sure you're getting enough....at least 1500-1800. One of the things that can decrease your milk is a sudden drop in calories (longer than just a day), as well as not getting enough water or protein.

It's also a good idea to wait to diet until your milk supply is well established, usually around the 3 month mark.

One more trick to boost milk is to take to your bed for the day with the baby, and don't get out of bed to do anything but pee, lol.

For more tips on boosting your milk, as well as lots of other mommy stuff, I found this site to be really helpful:
www.kellymom.com
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jun-24-07, 21:00
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, Nursing Mom
Stats: 215/215/140 Female 5'4
BF:Too much!
Progress: 0%

Hi all!
I am currently breastfeeding an almost 3 month old and would be interested in a "support group". For the past month or so I have tried a modified LC approach to see if I can lose weight. I am so tired of the extra weight I gained through two pregnancies and not following a LC lifestyle for the past 3 years or so. So far I do not see any weight coming off...maybe a couple of pounds, but my shirts feel roomier. I will try fenugreek or milk thistle too, to up my milk supply as I am starting to pump and store milk for August when I begin my student teaching.

I have two sons...a 2.5 year old and a son born March 26, 2007. We are struggling with introducing a bottle....I probably waited too long to try.

How many carbs per day have people found to be good for both milk supply and encourage some weight loss?

Val
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jun-24-07, 21:21

val, I don't have carb suggestions for you, but have you tried a sippy cup instead of a bottle. My 1st had terrible nipple confusion because of the bottle, and so we ended up switching her to a sippy cup around 4 months. Also, you should make sure someone else feeds your son the expressed breastmilk, and if possible, get out of the house. Go grocery shopping, take your older one with you, leave shortly before feeding time and let someone else do it. You are the wrong person, your baby wants to nurse when you're around. bottles just aren't as nice as the real thing!!!