Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-21-06, 08:03

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 318/268.5/180 Female 65inches
BF:Way/Too/Much
Progress: 36%
Default A question for my mom

My mom has been on the Adkins diet since Sept 05 and has only lost 15lbs she is a diabetic and she keeps her carbs between 10 to 20 a day usually 15 she stays in Ketosis but she can't get past 203lbs she is getting really discouraged any ideas what could be affecting her weight loss I've been on Adkins since Oct 05 and have lost 54lbs so I'm trying to figure out whats wrong
any suggestions would be nice
thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-21-06, 08:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 310/259/180 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 39%

Everyone loses at a different rate and in a different way. The thing is to be patient and not give up, she will eventually lose weight again. I am 61 years old and I went from 310 lbs to 240 lbs, but my loss was rather dissapointing. I would go almost 2 months without losing any weight and then in one day I would lose 20 lbs. and then again, something similar and I would lose 10 lbs. When I looked back I was able to say that I lost about 10 lbs a month, but it was not truly that way, which can get on your nerves.

What I noticed most was my inches and the fact that I lost in a very interesting manner. When I got down to 240 lbs and tried the clothes I used to wear at that weight, I found out they were big on me. Younger people and specially men lose rather quickly, but neither your mother or I are that. Tell her to keep at it, be consistant and it will happen.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-21-06, 15:54

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

10-15 grams of carb may be too low for her. I'd suggest that she increase them a bit by adding more veggies.
How have her blood sugars been running? Insulin resistance makes it a bugger to lose for lots of people; it's not impossible, just infuriatingly slow.
How much is she eating? Having the metabolic advantage of low carb doesn't mean that calories don't matter at all. If someone is eating too much, they won't lose even on low carb.
Does your mom exercise at all? Sometimes adding even a little extra activity, like a short walk every day, will get that scale moving again.

Most of all...tell her not to give up. Even if she's only lost 15 pounds, it's better than having gained that much or more.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-21-06, 17:32

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%

I've been reading a lot about low carb and there are some discussions on this thread regarding whether some of us are doing low carb properly. Basically, they are saying that unless the fat content is high, it isn't low carb. Some people have noticed that they lose faster when they increase their fats...as well as keep the carbs low... Some notice they lose better watching caloric content...

Here is a article on the subject.

Why low carb diets must be high fat, not high protein!!!

http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/fat-not-protein.html

Also, on another site that I visit, members who are diabetic are taking 2 T. Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar in water, usually about 4-8 ounces, prior to each meal. They suck it through a straw because vinegar can eat at the enamel on your teeth. They then brush or rinse, or add soda to their mouths (it's alkaline) until they can do that... This helps to balance their insulin levels as well as helps them lose weight faster...

I've tried it and my levels are more stable and I am usually fuller longer... Also, I use cinnamon in my coffee which helps to balance insulin levels too...

Hope this helps you...
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-23-06, 06:45
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

I suggest your mother start taking these supplements in addition to whatever she's taking now which should include a good multivitamin with minerals (2 pills per dose).:

Twice a day
2-7 Vitamin D, 1,000 IU (more in winter or if you have vitamin D deficiency related problems such as diabetes, hypertension, insulin resistance, PCOS, obesity, digestive problems, cancer, etc.
2-3 Calcium with magnesium combo, 300-600 mg calcium and 150-300 mg magnesium per pill (a total of 1800 mg of calcium and 900 mg magnesium a day)
1 GTF chromium, 200 mcg
1 gymnema sylvestre, 400 mg
2 cinnamon, 375 mg

fish oil is good too.

She should see a significant change in her readings and feelings within 7-10 days. Tell her, please closely monitor BG and BP readings from day 1 and be in contact with your doctor though because some have experienced more rapid improvements. Close monitoring is also required because medications need to be cut and medicating at same levels can put readings too low for safety.

Just my experience with others taking the above.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-23-06, 07:47

Zuleikaa
Hi I don't mean to be nosey but could you tell me if you are diabetic and have high BP my mom wants me to talk to someone who has been low carbing for at least 3 years and has both high BP and is a diabetic to see if they have any long term side effects she is so scared that low carbing is clogging her arteries
but she knows that she has to keep her carbs low because of her sugar.
I'm sorry if i'm being too nosey
but its for my mom
thanks
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-23-06, 08:24
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnormile
Zuleikaa
Hi I don't mean to be nosey but could you tell me if you are diabetic and have high BP my mom wants me to talk to someone who has been low carbing for at least 3 years and has both high BP and is a diabetic to see if they have any long term side effects she is so scared that low carbing is clogging her arteries
but she knows that she has to keep her carbs low because of her sugar.
I'm sorry if i'm being too nosey
but its for my mom
thanks
Nope. I don't have either. What I have done is advocate the mixture I've given you for about two year for people who do have diabetes and it's worked very well for them. Add the fish oil and omegas and it takes care of hypertention as well. In fact the vitamin D with cal/mag alone ameliorates both diabetes and high blood pressure. The cinnamon and GTF chromium help to utilize insulin better and the gymnema sylvestre actually heals the pancreas which produces the insulin.

I've followed about 12 people from one to over two years on this program. They all had both high blood pressure and diabetes.

2-Readings from 600s to low or mid 100s, sometimes below.
6-Readings from high 500s to low or below 100
4-Readings from high 300s to normal range

In all medication was greatly reduced. Three are totally off meds. In some diet was strictly watched. In most only so so.

If you want to PM your email I can send you the research I used in coming to this supplement program.

NOTE: As a result of 2 peoples improvement their doctors are now recommending cinnamon and gymnema sylvestre to their diabetic patients.

Oh, I've been low carbing off and on for over 15 years.

Last edited by Zuleikaa : Thu, Feb-23-06 at 09:17.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-23-06, 10:02

Thanks for everything my e-mail is mnormile~boyd.k12.ky.us
I really appriciate this

Thanks again
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-23-06, 10:41

BF:

mnoemile, I have diabetes since 1977 and been low carbing since 2003. I can tell you that the ADA diet took me to 310 lbs and feeling so sick I thought I was going to die the next day. When I started low-carbing I felt a burst of undescribed energy for the first 2 days, to the point I could not get to sleep until 4 am to be up by 6 am and ready to work. I have lost 70 lbs and my arteries are as clean as a whistle. I have a catheter to my heart, carotid checks and also my legs and they are surprised that I don't have any problems with my arteries being a diabetic with hypertension and soooo fat.

I eat a lot of olive oil, avocados and high fat meals, high calories but very low carb and not a whole lot, portions are rather small because I am not that hungry.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-23-06, 12:19

Sadlady, Thank you so much that is what I needed to know.

Zuleikaa, Thank you for all the information It took me forever to print it all like you said i asked for it lol

thanks again
melinda
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Feb-25-06, 09:44

BF:

mnoemile, I just got back the results of my tests. It has been 18 months since I had seen a doctor due to lack of insurance and I had been taking care of my diabetes only by low-carbing. The most amazing results for me.

Tryglicerides: 75 - down from 100 in my last test of 2004.
Cholesterol, Total: 188 - down from 214
HDL: 49 - up from 47 (this should be like that, the higher the better)
LDL: 154 down from 147

Creatinine (it raises if you have kidney problems) .7 down from .9

Those are the numbers I really look at. I keep my results in an spreadsheet to check closely what is going on with my diet.

Monday I have to go to an endocrinologist which I believe follows ADA. I am not in the mood to put up with him, so we will see what he says.

This diet has been God sent to me. I feel so much better and I am still alive and thriving at 61, when 3 years ago I thought I was close to dying.