Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-29-04, 10:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/179.8/130 Female 5'4.75"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Fiber and Cramps

I eat flaxseed every morning, about 3 tablespoons.

I have been having SEVERE cramps and then I have a BM soon after I eat my flaxseed. I am just wondering if this is really bad for me? Maybe I will cut down on the amount I am getting.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-29-04, 10:31

BF:

Also wanted to add, I take my vitamins right after eating my flaxsees, with 20 Oz. of water.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-29-04, 10:39
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%

Quote:
Originally Posted by adukart
I eat flaxseed every morning, about 3 tablespoons.

I have been having SEVERE cramps and then I have a BM soon after I eat my flaxseed. I am just wondering if this is really bad for me? Maybe I will cut down on the amount I am getting.
adukart:
Flaxseed is very good for you but 3 tbs is way too much, try to get may be 1 tbs once or twice a day if you deal with constipation. Also, drink lots and lots of water when supplementing your diet with refined fiber. I prefer fiber from vegetables, nuts and seeds. May be try to swtich to flax seed oil instead of ground seeds, works like a charm and won't cause any carmping. It taste delicious too, good on salads and with cottage cheese.
dina
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-29-04, 11:50

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Is that all?

Can't tell whether you're taking your pills and flax with food or alone. One point--better to separate vitamins and fiber by a few hours if possible; in general, most vitamins go down better if taken with food (not all, but most).

Some vitamins can cause a queasy stomach if taken alone.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-29-04, 12:06
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Are you grinding up your flax?

When I was a teenager my Mom brought home wheat bran and canned apricots. She said these things were good for you. So I had a bowl of wheat bran with apricots on top. It didn't taste bad, so I had a second bowl.

I was gripped by the most incredible intestinal cramps I've ever experienced in my life. I broke out in a rash, sweated and just didn't do well at all.

I'm not allergic to wheat or apricots, I just think I over did it.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-29-04, 13:14

BF:

I make a cream of wheat type thing with the flaxseed meal that I eat for breakfast at about 7:00. I take my vitamins with 20oz. of water at about 7:45. I get the cramps at about 8:00-8:15. It isn't the vitamins, because I always take them. But it might be the amount or the combination.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Nov-01-04, 11:38

Plan: Ketogenic LCHF
Stats: 240/157/150 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

Amy

The flaxseed cannot go through your intestinal system in just an hour -- unless you're actually having severe diarrhea. If what you're having is just a normal bowel movement then what you're likely ridding yourself of is yesterday's flaxseeds along with whatever other wastes/fiber you've consumed. Doesn't sound like anything dangerous or threatening...just what's turned out to be normal for you since you've increased your fiber intake.

If it's troublesome (for instance, if you're likely not to be somewhere where you can take care of business at that time each a.m.) you could change the time of day when you're consuming flax (p.m.'s?) or lessen the amount you're eating each a.m.

Hey, there are lots of LC'ers out there who would be thrilled to be having a BM every a.m., so don't worry about it unless it's really bothering you.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Nov-01-04, 12:21

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%

The BM is probably just your daily BM. I assume that is your first consumption of the day. And it is probably not the seed that is initiating the BM, but the water.

But the cramping means something is wrong with your diet. Sounds like something is bothering your intestines. I agree with the idea of changing how much flax seed you are taking. I also think that probably you should spread it out during the day, instead of all at once. That could be what is causing the problem. If you still want to go with three tbs, perhaps one tbs per meal would be better to try.

If everything is going as it should and you're not eating something that is bothering your intestinal tract, you should not have severe cramps with BMs. Cramping is not OK; it means your tummy is not happy about something you are giving it.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Nov-01-04, 20:25

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 285/205/205 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 100%

I don't think fiber is good for us; I think that is what your body is telling you. I eat very little fiber. At first, I had hard BM's, but after about aweek or so, everthing was kind of normal. Only once about every two or three days; but with no problems.
Just my opinion, and my experience. This WOE has taught me to listen to my body, and I do.
Good luck
Keith
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Nov-01-04, 20:38
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I have terrible bathroom problems if I don't get enough fiber. Bad enough to cause bleeding and mucho-pain. Try passing a boulder sometime and I think you'll get the idea!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Nov-02-04, 07:46

Plan: aitkins
Stats: 198/198/143 Female 155cm
BF:

I think too much fibre can be as bad as too little. From what I've been told fibre helps move things through the body quickly - like laxatives which may prevent the body absorbing nutrients and vitamins. I tend to take some extra fibre at breakfast, have my vitamins at lunch and some more fibre with dinner.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Nov-02-04, 08:29
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

- Did you start taking the extra fiber suddenly? Fiber should be increased gradually.

- Are you drinking plenty of water and getting enough fat? That helps things move along a little more smoothly.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Nov-02-04, 09:52

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%

Also remember there are two kinds of fiber. Fiber such as fruit will help move things quickly, fiber such as wheat bran makes bulk and this is where the water is absorbed.