Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 11:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/195/170 Male 5 10
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Cruise Lines and Low Carb

They should read the book. I am not sure lc spaghetti and beer nuts are going to cut it.

"Cruises: Arline Bleecker
Lines want to satisfy low-carb dieters

May 23, 2004

Can 96 million Americans be wrong? Apparently cruise lines don't think so when it comes to low-carb diets. According to Opinion Dynamics Corp., 70 million Americans watch their carbs, and another 26 million are hard-core diet fanatics, says Time magazine.

Loath to miss the next big wave, lines such as Carnival Cruise Lines, Crystal Cruises and Royal Caribbean International are cautiously testing the weight-watching water by introducing low-carb choices on their menus based on the popular Atkins, South Beach and Zone diets.

Who can blame the lines for biting into the fad? Americans want to shed weight, and cruise lines don't want to shed passengers by failing to satisfy passengers' cravings for more meat and less potatoes.

In fact, it may be healthier to eat on a seagoing vessel than at home, considering that cruise lines, once bastions of gluttony, are now low-carb-conscious and adding to the already abundant roster of heart-healthy selections, such as low-sodium plates and sumptuous spa cuisine.

"Whether consumers are following Atkins, South Beach, the Zone or simply subscribing to the low-carb philosophy, we want to make it as easy and convenient as possible to enjoy the pleasures of the Carnival dining experience," says Bob Dickinson, Carnival president and CEO.

Carnival, for instance, introduced Atkins-compatible choices to its main dining room menu on the Victory. The number of carbohydrate grams per dish is listed beneath each low-carb item. Selections include beefsteak tomatoes with buffalo mozzarella (3 grams carbs), hickory-smoked Alaskan salmon (2 grams) and snails in garlic butter with an infusion of Chablis and Pernod (5 grams). Entrees include filet mignon with gorgonzola butter (8 grams), marsala-infused duck (6 grams), or jerked pork loin (6 grams). When asked, waiters will substitute reduced-carb breads for those commonly served with meals.

Carnival promises passengers a low-carb-conscious fleet by June. Meanwhile, Crystal Cruises' three-vessel fleet also shed carbs by offering among its many options low-carb spaghetti in Prego, its popular alternative Italian restaurant. Holland America has added low-carb beer nuts for those who must munch on something while they imbibe at a bar. Can a low-carb beer be on tap next?

You can expect an explosion of such low-carb options as cruise lines hasten to catch up with the shoreside craze. According to Opinion Dynamics, "Some 586 distinct new low-carb foods and beverages hit the grocery shelves last quarter, up from 633 in all of last year and 339 in 2002, bringing the total over just two years to 1,558 new entries."

With all the hoopla, I wonder which line will be the first to introduce nutritional and low-carb-count labels on chocoholic buffets?"

http://www.indystar.com/articles/4/148490-5524-P.html
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 14:36
Bigger than ever :(

Plan: Keto
Stats: 464/280/200 Male 67.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacNW
They should read the book. I am not sure lc spaghetti and beer nuts are going to cut it.

What if they use Dreamfields pasta?
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 06:53
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
What if they use Dreamfields pasta?

Its still heavily processed. Also there is a lot of confusion about the dreamfields and how low carb it is. On top of that, these places tend to put huge portion sizes. I dount if you order LC pasta they will measure out 3/4 of a cup for you (or whatever is the correct serving size).

They might, but I doubt it.

They should focus more on 'real' whole natural foods that arent dipped in flour or sauces that dont use sugar or cornstarch as a thickner etc.

Low carb side dishes other than steamed veggies (not that I have that much of a problem with steamed veggies)

The focus shouldnt be lets try and give them the same type of bad junky-type foods just as low carb substitutes.

Sitting there eating low carb beer nuts that are probably loaded with sugar alcohols doesnt sound that great. Especially when they can just have something like almonds out there instead without all the chemical junk.

Dont even get me started on the prego!