Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 17:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%
Default UWF offers Atkins Diet, but students aren’t biting

http://uwf.edu/voyager/archives/031704/page02.pdf

Quote:
Melissa Hatfield and Angela Fail
Voyager Staff

Robert Atkins may be dead, but his legendary diet has made a lasting impression, or at least stirred controversy, in popular culture. Introduced in the 1970s, the low-carbohydrate, high-protein approach to weight loss has engaged its proponents and critics in serious debates regarding the health risks some associate with the program. But neither the diet craze nor its surrounding controversy show any signs of slowing down, at least in the commercial world.

As the mania surrounding the Atkins diet continues to grow, many restaurants are hitching a ride on the low-carb train. And the University of West Florida's Dining Services is no exception. New Atkins-friendly menus are now offered in the Food Court and the Argo’s Grill and Gameroom, providing student dieters the opportunity to eat on campus with low-carb wraps and bunless Burger King burgers. But while the meats and cheeses are plentiful, student dieters are not. “There has been very little student response to the lowcarb menu,” said Leslie Bell, a Dining Services manager.

Some students are questioning the effectiveness of the diet. “I think it’s a fraud,” said Aimee Shook, a primary education major. “The guy, like, had a heart attack. I think you need carbs.” Rusty Black, whose major is undecided, did not know much about the diet, but doesn’t have a good impression of it. “Somebody told me that it’s bad,” he said. “They said it wasn’t good for you.”

According to the Atkins Web site, processed and refined carbohydrates make up 50 percent of regular diets through breads, pastas, cereals, starchy vegetables and highly sugared foods. Atkins recommends a four-phase program through which adherents restrict carbohydrate intake to induce weight loss, then add grams over time, maintaining gradual loss. Although the Web site contrasts the program as being a “lifetime nutritional philosophy” and “unlike a diet,” the word diet actually comes from the Greek “diaita,” which means “manner or living.”

Atkins calls for abandonment of “the catastrophic American diet of refined carbohydrates,” promising good health, a sense of well-being and lowered risk of disease. But despite its promised rewards, the concept has a lot to overcome, especially in the medical community. Atkins’ Web site devotes an entire page to debunking myths about the plan and doles out advice for patients trying to convince their doctors that the diet is right.

Despite the opposition the diet has faced, restaurants have even incorporated Atkins friendly fare into their menus. Chili’s is one local restaurant now offering a special low carb menu to guests. Items include burgers without buns, fajitas with steamed vegetables and no tortillas and salads without croutons. Carbohydrate and fiber counts are included in menu descriptions.

While some people outright oppose the plan, some just think the diet is too hard to stick with. Mehgan Burroughs, a UWF English major, said she would follow the diet if it did not require so much discipline. “I think it’s way too strict, but it definitely works because I’ve seen it work on people,” she said. But while eliminating most grains and consequently carbohydrates from a person’s daily food intake may seem an extreme exercise of self-control, some see carb-cutting as a way of life.

Rick Puckett, 21, who is in the Air Force, has been skimping on carbohydrates since early childhood by avoiding bread. “I just don’t like it,” he said. “It causes me to gag. It disgusts me.” Instead, Puckett follows the high-protein aspect of the Atkins plan, eating steak sometimes as often as three times a week. “I eat lots of meat,” he said, “a lot of chicken, a lot of steak, a lot of beef jerky.”
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 17:30

Stats: 170/125/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 100%

Some students are questioning the effectiveness of the diet. “I think it’s a fraud,” said Aimee Shook, a primary education major. “The guy, like, had a heart attack. I think you need carbs.” Rusty Black, whose major is undecided, did not know much about the diet, but doesn’t have a good impression of it. “Somebody told me that it’s bad,” he said. “They said it wasn’t good for you.”

I know I just went to a Community College and all but I thought "university" students were supposed to be smart. Guess they don't like to research and think for themselves. What else do they do while they are eating Pizza and beer?
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 17:37

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
As the mania surrounding the Atkins diet continues to grow, many restaurants are hitching a ride on the low-carb train. And the University of West Florida's Dining Services is no exception. New Atkins-friendly menus are now offered in the Food Court and the Argo’s Grill and Gameroom, providing student dieters the opportunity to eat on campus with low-carb wraps and bunless Burger King burgers. But while the meats and cheeses are plentiful, student dieters are not. “There has been very little student response to the low carb menu,” said Leslie Bell, a Dining Services manager.

Of course there's been very little response. For starters, this is the first I've even heard of the new LC offerings. The last time I was in there was a few weeks ago, and I didn't see anything about it. I went by there today after class and they had 1 sign on a window that mentioned LC, but no specifics. As for the Bunless Burger, I've always been able to get a Bunless Burger. But, I don't usually eat on campus. Two words: Ripoff City...On top of that, the greens and cheese on the salad bar are not very fresh...and a pre-packaged salad [one with fresh lettuce and cheese] is expensive. I can drive off-campus and get Grilled Chicken, Green Beans, and overall much better tasting food for the same price I would pay for a single pre-packaged salad on campus.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 17:43

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
I know I just went to a Community College and all but I thought "university" students were supposed to be smart. Guess they don't like to research and think for themselves. What else do they do while they are eating Pizza and beer?

Carla, I was thinking the same thing. Whatever happened to teaching critical thinking skills in our halls of higher education? Now students are reduced to "Someone told me..." and take it as absolute truth without bothering to check out whether it's factual or not?
Ugh...we're raising generations of young people to become consumers without thought instead of thoughtful consumers.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 17:45

Stats: 293/257/155 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 26%

A girl in one of my classes the other day asked me if I wanted to get pizza with a bunch of them on thursday and when I said I couldn't because of Atkins, she said, "omg, that guy had a heart attack and died from doing that!"

A lot of the College kids I know want to live out of the vending machines during the week and go bar hopping on weekends. I think the "freshman fifteen" all but proves it.
They can reject it til they're 30, then cry because then it's harder to lose.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-07-04, 08:46

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

When I was that age, I ate what I wanted, whenever I wanted, however I wanted and never gave it another thought. I was healthy and slim and energetic. Why would I care about any particular way of eating? Once these "youngsters" start packing it on so that they can't move, breathe or "get it on" and body parts start hurting, falling off or not functioning, they will then have to try and activate those "little gray cells," and hone in on what is causing all these problems. Hey that's what happened to me. Sad but true.