Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 02:48
Ex-Patriot

Plan: CAD-ish
Stats: 232.5/199/168 Female 5'2"
BF:no/earthly/clue
Progress: 52%
Exclamation Government anti-obesity proposal includes levying VAT on cheese, butter

http://society.guardian.co.uk/publi...1151421,00.html

I posted the complete story in the LC Research/Media section of the forum.

This is only at the "proposal" stage right now, but if it goes through it will effectively penalize UK residents who choose to lose weight via a Low Carb method.

I find this unsupportable, but alas I cannot vote here so my opinion won't make a damned bit of difference to the powers that be.

Don't let them force us to subsidize the casualties of the "deadly saturated fat" dinosaur theory and the stupid high-carb diet fad! Let this government know what you think!

Emily
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 07:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 231/210/147 Female 5' 8'
BF:35%
Progress: 25%

I agree - I've been a labour supporter all my life, but I think this is taking the nanny state a little too far...,
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 07:48

Stats: 260/142/140 Female 5.7 inches
BF:
Progress: 98%

This idea is daft. Another knee-jerk attention grabbing bit of spin which will sink without trace - I sincerely hope. If they are serious, then I will get seriously cross. But given Tony's determination to go to war despite clear evidence that he did not have our support, nothing would surprise me.

I speak as one who voted Labour in 1997 and had great hopes for this government.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 11:55

Plan: Low Calorie/Low Carb
Stats: 208/175/133 Female 62
BF:32%
Progress: 44%

I totally agree Torite.

I don't think anything will come of it, the government just seem to be throwing a new idea out every day. Yesterday, education, today food (fat tax and GM crops) tomorrow, who knows?

I ceased to admire Tony Blair when he took us to war in Iraq againt the evidence and against our wishes.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 15:57

Stats: 245/234/200
BF:don't care!!
Progress: 24%

Good grief!! How very sad. Thank goodness I didn't vote for labour, I don't feel responsible now!

Oooh Tholian* - I don't know if you saw my post on the Everything Else board but you may be interested in a shop called Mysteries in Monument Street, Covent Garden.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 16:11
Ex-Patriot

Plan: CAD-ish
Stats: 232.5/199/168 Female 5'2"
BF:no/earthly/clue
Progress: 52%

I did see that, thanks! I plan to go there the very next time I'm in town!

Emily
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-04, 06:41

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%

Thanks Emily

I was hearing about this on the radio yesterday and thought it sounded a real mix up. Probably the basic idea behind it - trying to get people to eat better - is sound, but how it has been portrayed is a no no.

When will they get to realising that fat on its own is not the culprit. Fat with carbs may be. I know fat has 9 calories and carbs and protein only 4 for the same amount, but their function in the body varies.

I'm just ignoring it for now and I wait and see what comes out. It is never good to read too much into what is reported in the papers.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-04, 11:09

Plan: EFGT/Nourishing Trads
Stats: -/-/- Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 57%

I read that this morning the government has announced it is giving up this silly idea because it would be "difficult to administer". Well, we seem to have got away with that one by the skin of our teeth! But we should all be vigilant that they don't try and bring in something similar at a later date.

Btw, I'm by no means hugely political, but I don't think it's anything to do with Labour - any government would be pressurised to do something about the obesity epidemic and also be equally misadvised by their so-called experts!