Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Vegetarian Low Carbers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-04, 16:02

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/205/185 Male 65
BF:
Progress:
Default Vegetarian low carb soup cups

I am new to this site, happy to see a vegetarian line here. I try to stay to vegetarian choices, but it can be hard.

I found a new line of vegetarian low carb soups called Carb'tastic, from Fantastic Foods a few weeks ago. They have lots of flavors, but I have only tried three. Favorite is hot and sour, but vegetarian chicken gumbo is good also. I bought at Safeway, 2 for $3.00. They were cheap! But good. Website www.fantasticfoods.com

I called the company. They are coming out with microwaveable ready meals in a few weeks. ALSO veggie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-04, 11:22
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Neat! I liked their products... before I went LC.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 19:35

Plan: My own lactovegetarian
Stats: 130/110/112 Female 63 inches
BF:24.5%
Progress: 111%

I found some soups in frozen boil in the bag or microwavable bags. They are sorta low carb for maintainers I guess. The brand name is Tabatchnick. The barley mushroom is 80 cal,16 gms carbs with 3 gms fiber. Golden cream of mushroom is 110 cal,10 gms carb and less than 1 of fiber, and the Vegetarian chili is 180 cal, 27 gms carb and 10 gms fiber. They are tasty.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 22:19

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 283/179/150 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 78%

Thanks for the heads up on those soups! Vegetarian soups can be pretty tricky to find, esp. now with low carbing! CAn't wait to look for these!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-04, 08:52

BF:
Progress:

Mem2, where can you buy those frozen ones you discovered? They sound interesting.

On the other ones (Carb'Tastic), I saw them this weekend in Costco in Northern California. Very reasonably priced for a 9-pack.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Feb-14-04, 10:50

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 216/166/150 Female 60 inches
BF:45%/33.5%/28%
Progress: 76%

Boquist, look in the frozen foods case--and if your market has a kosher section in that case, start there. I use Tabatchnick soups all the time, and bump up the protein with a high protein lc nut muffin, or some croutons from high protein lc bread. Most of the ECCs are 10g or less (carbs minus fiber).

Other flavors that work (esp. if you've been missing tomato soup) are Balsamic tomato-rice (9g ECC), Cream of Broccoli, 9g net carbs; and Rock Island Seafood Chowder, 7g net carbs. (The nutrient info on my box of Barley mushroom is 10g ECC btw, not 13g.) There's also a lentil variety and a split pea variety--and all are vegetarian, and either kosher pareve or kosher dairy. Reasonable sodium counts, too, if you pay attention to salt intake.

They are 2 pouches (each single serving) per box for about $1.89/box U.S., and around here they're frequently on special for less.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Feb-14-04, 16:20

BF:
Progress:

Thanks for the info. Will let you know when I try them.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Mar-27-04, 17:20
Registered Member

Plan: reduced carb
Stats: 133/96/96 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress:

Boquist, aren't you the CEO of Fantastic food? you are like this-->
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Apr-02-04, 07:46

BF:
Progress:
Cool

That I am! I spend time on boards to find out what our low carbing consumers like, what they do not like, and what I should be looking for in the way of new product and yummy stuff to eat. Along the way I like to let people know about our products, but main reason is to learn. Sort of like hanging out in the aisle of a grocery store and watching and listening while someone is purusing the section trying to figure out what to buy. Some of our best ideas have come from listening to loyal or new users.

I tried the frozen soups, by the way...they were great. A little inconvenient because thawing them out is a chore. I never have the time to think ahead to do it and my microwave oven is, well, worth about $.25 at a rummage sale. I prefer refrigerated soups, but have yet to find any that are LC. Refrigerated taste great, and are fresh...
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Apr-02-04, 12:13
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

boquist1, you guys are doing great! My HFS is stocked up Fantastic Food low carb soup cups now, I am so happy And I was like, running around in the HFS telling the staff that I "know" the CEO
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Apr-03-04, 09:14

BF:
Progress:

Nice to know you Please tell about 1,000 friends about these products! Really happy you like them. There are ready meals shipping now, with net carbs in the 6 to 9 range. The chili mac is just killer. More info at the Fantastic Foods website, www.fantasticfoods.com

Have a great LC day!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Apr-05-04, 11:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 282/236/150 Female 67.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 35%

Boquist,

Pretty please . . . have somebody in Eastern Iowa carry them!

I'd love to try 'em . . .

Sue
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Apr-05-04, 19:12
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Sue, call him (boquist) Dear John the CEO and he might send you samples
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Apr-09-04, 23:29

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutty
Sue, call him (boquist) Dear John the CEO and he might send you samples

Sue and nutty, go to the Fantastic Foods website and email me your contact information and I will send you each some free samples! No kidding...just reference this post in your note.

I'll get working on that eastern Iowa store for you!

Dear John the CEO
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Apr-10-04, 18:31
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Fantastic Food soup= yummy/affordable/LOWCARB/friendly!!!!