Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 08:46

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 255/230/140 Female 5'6
BF:63%
Progress: 22%
Default PROTEIN POWER PALS - Friday, January 30th

Ok guys y'all are asleep at the stick this morning!! I know I have not been around much lately - between work and school it doesn't seem like I have time for much else!! Well anyways, I will post more later......gotta go to work!

Have a good day all!

Robin
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 09:41

Plan: Low-Cal - good carbs
Stats: 235/229/150 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 7%

Y'all probably won't be hearing from me for a few days - the situations I mentioned earlier this week exploded last night. Prayers from those who pray would be greatly appreciated.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 11:32
Flutterby

Plan: All that make sense
Stats: 220/212/160 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Jummping in...

Hi folks!

: takes a deep breath : Waves :::

Ever resolve to start something, then throw a temper tantrum about it? :: grins::: I just picked myself up off the floor, pulled the cat hair out of my mouth and off my face, and bandaged my fists from thumping them on the floor::::

So, now that the fit is over, only residual side long glances at the fridge.. I'm ready to keep on plugging along, learning and researching and improving.

I will admit, I am feeling a tad overwhelmed, and would love to HIRE someone to take me shopping right now, as I am assembling my grocery list now...Anyone in Georgia?

I just reheated some string beans and mushrooms from last nite's dinner, and see that there are 12 carbs for a cup and a half.. that is alot of carbs... for one meal, if i am only supposed to have about 40 a day.. I figure that I should keep the carbs to 10 or less per meal , right?
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 11:44

Plan: PP
Stats: 264/255.2/180 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 10%

Hi Dawn! Welcome You've caught us on a slightly slow day (take a look at the past weeks threads )
Just pull up a chair and share......
Did you subtract the grams of fiber in each vegetable from the total grams of carbs for each veggie? That will give you the "ECC" carbs Protein Power refers to.You might have less than 12. For example:
From Fitday:
String beans, raw
Nutrition Facts

Amount Per 1 cup
Calories 34.1
Calories from Fat 1.19

Total Carbohydrate 7.85g 3%
Dietary Fiber 3.74g 15%

Dawn, if you subtract the fiber from the carbs, one cup of raw string beans is 4.11 carbs. That help?
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 11:55
Flutterby

Plan: All that make sense
Stats: 220/212/160 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 13%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewinpa
String beans, raw
Nutrition Facts

Amount Per 1 cup
Calories 34.1
Calories from Fat 1.19

Total Carbohydrate 7.85g 3%
Dietary Fiber 3.74g 15%

Dawn, if you subtract the fiber from the carbs, one cup of raw string beans is 4.11 carbs. That help?

Indeed.. I FORGOT about the fiber deduction...

:: i think i can..i think i can..i KNOW i can!::::

Thanks... This weekend probably will pick up on postings.. I am looking forward to hanging out here....
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 12:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/140/130 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%
Default Friday

Hi to everyone
Just scooting through real quickly here.
Renee, Sorry to hear things are not too smooth with you at the present time
Hoping all gets straightened out for you!
Welcome, Dawn....I live in Chattanooga...not too far from you!

I am thinking about checking into the Curves program which I think is offered in a couple places here. Anyone here tried it?

Happy Friday to ALL! Kat

Last edited by katlynweb : Fri, Jan-30-04 at 12:53.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 14:10

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 450/348/225 Male 72 inches
BF:UGH!
Progress: 45%

((((((Renee))))))
Youve got it!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 15:28

Plan: Low-Cal - good carbs
Stats: 235/229/150 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 7%

Well, y'all get to keep me for the weekend - everybody I want to see where I was going is either in jail or in foster care until Monday... Monday will be an interesting day.

I have not eaten much today - most cottage and swiss cheese... and I haven't had any sleep.

Robin - good to see you - thanks for getting us started.

Welcome to the thread Dawn - sounds like you have a sense of humor - you'll fit right in here.

Elaine (ewinpa):
Great to see you - you seem to be in better spirits. Thanks for the email - I needed it.

Rob:
The Yeti is in the building! Thanks for getting me listed over on the prayer board. Check your PM's there.

Bawdy:
Hope you will have time to pot this weekend. Know the new position is keeping you busy.

Kat:
Thanks for the wishes.
Somebody in here uses Curves, but I can't remember who today (brain is mush )

Ellie:
Thanks for the email - hope you are feeling better - since it came from your work address, I'm guess you are. Keeping you and your family in my prayers. Hope the BC pills work well.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 17:19
Registered Member

Plan: PP
Stats: 186/129/125 Female 5'4"
BF:30.5%
Progress: 93%

Hi everyone,
Renee.....hugs to you....and tons of prayers. I had been praying since your message earlier in the week, but more so today. If I were there, I'd give you a BIG hug, but a cyberspace one will have to do. {{{{{hugs}}}}
Things will sort themselves out--they always do.
Kat, I belong to Curves. Joined Apr. 14 last year, 6 weeks after I started LCing. It's been great for me. I'm 54, extremely unathletic (in fact have always hated exercise) and know I would not last in a traditional gym. I find it very unintimidating, quick and effective. I had my monthly weigh-in and measure this week. I have lost 40 lb since starting Curves, 30 lb. of body fat, my body fat reading has gone from "very poor" to "good", and my measurements have gone down something like 41". I go 3x weekly faithfully. Only times I missed were the week recently when I was away. Even times when I'm away part of the week, I make sure I get my 3 visits either before or after I'm away.
Along the same line, I learned something important this week, that has the potential to be scary too. As I said above, I've always hated exercise, but in the researching I did for the LC WOE before I started, I realized that like it or not, I was going to have to exercise. About 10 days before I started LCing, I started walking at a nearby mall. Started at about 1 1/4 miles a day and gradually worked up to 3 miles a day. 6 days a week. Then the mall quit supporting the walking problem and I moved outside (this was in Aug.) so I walked 3 miles 7 days a week. In the fall as the weather grew less walk-friendly, I started using the Walk Away the Pounds tapes by Leslie Sansone. I would either walk outside or do a WATP tape 7 days a week. Also joined Curves in April and workout 3x weekly. In Sept. I added a firming video also by Leslie Sansone 3x weekly on my non Curves days. This video, by the way, I credit with shaving nearly 2" off my waist in the first 2 weeks I used it. Now that is the sum total of my exercise and I don't plan on adding any more. I think it's fairly well rounded. Not overly energetic but I have no desire for a program that's going to leave me exhausted and sore.
I was away for 10 days and other than walking, did no exercise. Came home 2 lb. lighter. Great! But VCR wasn't working when I got home (husband decided to watch TV and pushed wrong buttons). That means no firming video and no WATP. So I went back to walking at the mall. Except their Sun. hours don't work for me and there have been 2 days I've been snowed in.
My weight has remained the same as it was when I returned from my trip. However, this week I was horrified to discover that one of my pair of jeans didn't fit the way it had been. Very uncomfortable sitting. I'd last worn them about 3 1/2 weeks before when they were fine. They were so bad, I couldn't wear them. AHA! Well, it proves one thing. I have to keep up ALL the elements in my exercise program. Fortunately our 12 year old niece solved the VCR problem yesterday and I'm back to firming video and WATP. I feel less bulky already (probably psychological).
The scary part is what happens if for some reason I cannot continue my exercise program. What if I have to have surgery or get an injury? Could be laid up for quite some time. The prospects of that are not pleasant to think about, so I won't.
Anyway that was a rather long story that was sort of an epiphany for me. I had sort of hoped I might be able to ease off on the exercise once I reached maintenance. Not quit--definitely not, but maybe not quite as much. Doesn't look like it.
This has been an absolutely awful week weather-wise here. Snow squall warnings or winter storm warnings all week. Rural schools sent kids home early on Mon. and they were closed Tues., Wed. and Thur. Did go back today but really no better. Very nasty. And more forecast for tomorrow. We're about 50 miles east of Lake Huron and when those prevailing west winds start blowing, we get dumped on. I sure hope Wiarton Willie (our groundhog prognosticator) doesn't see his shadow on Mon.
Have a great weekend, everyone.
Marjorie
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 18:22

Plan: Protein Power maintenance
Stats: 18/12/10 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress:

Not feeling as good today as I did yesterday. The crud has moved downward into my chest so now I have a painful cough to go along with the congestion. Made it through work so I have the weekend to rest and hopefully get over this bug.

Guys...turn your head. Ok....I had TOM symtoms for two weeks, last weekend had the cramps and spotting along with everything else. The spotting stopped on Monday. The doc said on Tuesday to start the BCPs on the first day of my period or in my case when the spotting resumed. Since then .....absolutely nothing! My pills are just sitting there waiting. A whole year of non-stop and then when you need the d~mn thing to start.....nothing!

Ok guys....can look now.

I am going to get in my jamies now and crawl into bed with a book. Wendy, if you are lurking I have been reading Harry Potter! I read the Prisoner of Azaban and just finished the Goblet of Fire. I am getting ready to start in the Order of the Phoenix (?). They are so good I can hardly put them down!
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jan-31-04, 12:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/140/130 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%
Default Saturday

Hi to all!
It is actually sunny here today!
I wish I felt sunny about this eating stuff! Am really getting very FRUSTRATED about the whole thing! I have been low carbing seriously since way before Christmas and have not lost a single pound! I have been bouncing around between 165 and 170 for the past year! Never over 170 but NEVER ONCE under 165 !! I am only 5'3" so 165 is way out of line healthwise. I DO feel better lowcarbing....no more sugar cravings and I think my insulin level has remained pretty stable. I just don't know what else to do to make this thing work !

Renee: Still thinking about you and sending strength for Monday
Ellie: I have also read and loved the Harry Potter books.Haven't read the new one yet (it is still impossible to get at the library). I am a BIG fan of fantasy fiction.

Big hi to everyone and if someone has some tips to help me jump start this thing. PLEASE don't hesitate to tell me!! I am not in a stall, because it just never really STARTED for me !

Kat