Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Oct-12-03, 17:54
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 241/196/140 Female 64 in
BF:?????
Progress: 45%
Default How often do you buy new clothes?

I have only been doing atkins a few months and love the progress I am making. My question is... how often do you buy new clothes? My current clothes are getting awful. My jeans are so baggy, my belt on the last hole, and I went through 4 skirts before I found one to stay up for church this morning. MAYBE I am cheap but I really want to wait to buy clothes but with so much to loose I may be looking at buying a few sets along the journey...

Would love to hear your wardrobe replacement stories.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Oct-12-03, 19:05

Stats: 310/288.5/135 Female 5'6 and a half
BF:too ***#* much
Progress: 12%

I dont' really need to buy a lot of clothes, I've just kept what I've got from years of going up and down. I have everything from a size twenty-four to size eight. I just get something new when I'm short or have worn through something. My plan is when I get to my goal weight, to buy whole new set. and permanently turf the rest!!!!! ttyl
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Oct-12-03, 19:07

Plan: 35-65 net carbs
Stats: 362/281.8/150 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

hmm this is hard for me because i am a shopaholic... if i see something on sale i'll buy it... but i FREQUENT the consignment shops in my areas, In fact i just recently bought a TOmmy HIlfiger jacket ( still had tags on it)for 10 bucks
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Oct-12-03, 19:32
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

I think it is important to buy some new clothes so that you can feel good about how you look. Everyone, no matter what their size is, looks better in clothes that fit. I find that every time I trade in something baggy for something that fits correctly I start getting comments about my weight loss and how good I am looking. That positive reinforcement helps me stay on plan. Also, in my case, I have a professional job and I am expected to look neat and well-dressed. Therefore, I really can't wear clothes to work that are too baggy.

On the other hand, there is the issue of money. My solution has been to buy skirts with elastic in the side or back. With the elastic, I can usually wear them through three sizes and they still look decent. I have also been buying a lot of sweaters and knit shirts that fit me through a couple of sizes. With pants, however, I have not found any solution other than buying a couple of pairs of new ones every time I change size. I've been doing the laundry more frequently, so I can buy fewer pairs, and I have also been wearing more skirts to work than I used to so that I don't need as many pairs of pants.

The nice thing about not knowing what size I will be in any given season until the season starts is that I am never tempted to buy full price clothes when they first arrive in the store. I wait until it is time to wear the clothes and by then they are all on sale.

As someone who a year ago had to buy all her clothes from catalogues because the local stores didn't carry anything big enough for me (I started out as a size 30), I am really enjoying being able to walk into a store and find lots of things that fit. I know there are lots of people on this forum complaining about the poor selection in plus sizes. For me, being able to fit into plus sizes is a great achievement and I am thrilled about how much more of a selection I have now that I am no longer super-sized.

Last edited by liz175 : Sun, Oct-12-03 at 19:35.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Oct-12-03, 19:56
Medival Princess

Plan: curves
Stats: 298/214/190 Female 6 ft or 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

well i just went and bought a dozen or so items because i didn't want safty pins holding my clothes up while i was on vacation (or to unpack my sewing machine).. but I honestly don't have the money to get new clothes every time i drop a size sooo when i get a chance i might have to invest in a trip to goodwill and get some things to wear till i get to my goal weight - while saving up for a major shopping spree. who knows i might just buy the cloth to make it myself I have designed quite a few outfits I would totally love to have!

Crysania
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 08:26

Stats: 286/219/130 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

I haven't bought any new clothes yet. Mine are pretty baggy but they are at least staying up for now. When they start falling off then I will probably go and get a few new ones to keep me til I get to my goal weight. I guess I could use all my old tee shirts for pajamas when I am at my goal weight.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 08:55
Busty McChacha

Plan: atkins
Stats: 304/246.6/175 Female 5 foot 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 44%

I am a shopaholic. I usually buy something new every weekend. I look at it like this I have given up my daily trips to taco bell, KFC, burger king, Baskin & Robbins, and the candy aisle etc. etc. I can afford to buy some new jeans and still come out ahead of the game. I remember when I was fast fooding it..i went through money like crazy and never gave it a second thought.

There is also nothing better than trying something on in a size that you just knew you would never be able to get over your behind and it not only fits but fits kinda loose. Its a great feeling.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 10:02

Stats: 315/283/170 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 22%
Cool

I, too, am a shopaholic, but lately I have been buying lots of stuff from eBay - I can buy gently used or brand new with tags for quite a bit less than I would at the actual shop. Plus, most of the time I just look at stuff that I can "Buy now" instead of bidding - saves time.

I mentioned in another thread that maybe we should start a clothes swap - wouldn't hurt.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 10:48

Stats: 343/295/160 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 26%

I found a local seamstress that I go to every now and then to have things taken up that are just extremely too big. I've found that this is MUCH cheaper than going out and buying a new wardrobe when everything starts getting baggy.

Isn't it WONDERFUL to have things baggy instead of tight?!?!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 10:48

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%

I've really managed to cut way, way back on my clothing since I've lost a bunch of weight. Yes, it's nice to have a few new things to show off the improved figure, but I've also found that it's easier to simplify my wardrobe now that I'm smaller--meaning that I don't go into a total panic when I have a social or professional engagement and need something to wear. I no longer need to shop to hide my shape.

I definately have had to replace my underwear several times because they otherwise feel like diapers and fall off under my pants! But I sort of like bagginess of jeans and shirts...within reason.

Basically (and in direct answer to your question), I try to buy as little as possible right now. I plan to lose more weight!

Donald
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 15:41

Stats: 294/255/155 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 28%

I haven't bought anything yet, though I have thrown a bunch of things out. I love being able to get rid of those baggy, raggy clothes that I have worn for so long. I did happen to have 4 pairs of pants, brand new, that I am now able to fit into, so luckily I still have something to wear. I really don't want to buy anything until I have to. I have a trip home for Christmas that I plan to buy new clothes for and since I don't know what I'll look like by then, I'm just waiting. I can hardly wait to see what I'll look like by then!

Echo
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 16:07

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast
Progress: 91%

I have also wondered WHY THE HECK we dont have a clothes swap on here! shoot just about everybody would be covered!
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 17:33
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 312/159.5/150 Female 64 inches
BF:34
Progress: 94%

i am a shopaholic also....just spent $70 on new underwear
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 17:53
Registered Member

Stats: 242.0/238/105 Female 61inches
BF:
Progress: 1%

I had to buy new pants in several sizes since that is what I wear to work, etc. I go to the outlet malls esp. VHF factory outlet. They have Lee's pants cheap. Some I have paid $8.00/pr. vs $40.00 for the same pair at the Dept. stores. I usually buy 1 color of each-khaki, black, & navy. I do wash clothes more often. I'm about ready to go down another size-which will makes it a 4 pant size drop. I am having trouble with church clothes and dresses...hate to spend a lot on dresses since the ones I like are usually the most expensive ones on the rack. My closet looks pretty bare. Before it was packed and now it looks bleak, but I kinda like it that way.
MKay
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 12:31
wrkn off da baby fat

Stats: 242.5/242.5/160 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Actually I developed a plan of action just today. When I started I was a 24 pushing 26. (Just had a baby) Now I'm a 22 but most clothes I buy are 22-24. Once I'm officially a 20 I will donate all the 22-24 clothes and just buy a few workable outfits until its time for 14-16's. At that point should be able to buy from a regular store and the clothes should be a little more inexpensive. Can't wait!!!