Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 18:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 184.8/152/128 Female 169cm
BF:
Progress: 58%
Question Diet Drinks, which do you prefer?

hey everyone, just wondering what sort of diet drinks do you prefer to drink? this is my second time on atkins (Induction day 4) and last time I drank a lot of diet coke, diet cordial and a variety of different soft drinks as well as 3L off water per day. this time i have been sticking to plain water and plain sparkling mineral water, although it is getting a little boring. I was wondering if anyone has a specific brand of diet drink which they prefer, and which artificial sweeteners in diet drinks you try to avoid?

thanks,
susie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 21:28

Stats: 180/171/154 Female 161 cm
BF:
Progress:

Hi there...definitely try and avoid anything sweetened with aspartame - v. nasty. Now it is getting hotter, I really like plain or sparkling mineral water with a dash of diet lime (like the nice schweppes) and a slice of lemon. V. refreshing. Can also use diet lemonade.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 21:33
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Susie,

Golden Circle make soft drinks which are sweetened with Splenda. I quite like them, but rarely bother as I am very happy with just water most days.

The only problem with the GC soft drinks is that the carbs can add up. The highest one (can't remember which) has 3.5 carbs per can. You can check the carb counts on the Diet Club website.

Cheers.

Rosebud
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-03, 02:51

BF:

thanks for te advice, i might try to stick to the water until i'm out of induction and then see how i go, introducing the diet drinks slowly
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-03, 14:54

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 244/227.3/189 Female 6'0"
BF:51%/??/30%
Progress: 30%

Hey susie,

Rosebud is right. Those Golden Circle drinks are VERY good and VERY more-ish. The reason they have the carbs is because they also actually contain a touch of real fruit juice. So, I love the flavour. But, be warned, in the hotter weather, they're tough to stay away from. When I feel like one, I usually tell myself I need to drink 2 glasses of water first. Then, often I've talked myself out of "needing" one anyway.

Cheers,
Wabi
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-03, 18:24

Plan: Atkins - modified
Stats: 280/253/160 Female 5'4"
BF:50+/44.4/25
Progress: 23%

I really don't like the taste of any artificial sweetener, spenda is the best, but even that leaves an aftertaste I can do without, so I have avoided diet drinks for a long time....

My favourite drink in summer.. is icy cold soda-water with just a squeeze of lime or lemon juice.... fresh from the fruit if I have it, or I buy those little yellow and green bottles of juice from the supermarket. 99.9% juice, no sweeteners of any kind....
mmmmm..... the most refreshing cool drink I know...
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 00:17

BF:

thanks again for the help guys. it's been 5 days now with just water and plain sparkling mineral water so i figure i might as well stick with it until i'm finished my 'clean' induction! (9 days left)
susie
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Sep-20-03, 04:28
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: :(/://:) Female 5 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress:

I prefer water also but I do drink diet coke and thriftee mixed in soda water, tastes just like rasberry or orange fizzy drink. Also just brought diet fresh havent had any as yet. here is a good web site for NZ people. Tells you all about what you can or can't eat and drink.

http://www.nutrition.net.nz/how%20to%20start.htm
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Sep-20-03, 04:29
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: :(/://:) Female 5 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress:

Oh and does anyone know where I can buy the Protein Powder in NZ?
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Sep-20-03, 16:55

BF:

hey NZKiwiana, nice to meet you. i'm not sure about where you would buy protein powder in NZ, but i'm sure someone on this site will be able to tell you!

susie
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 23:20
Registered Member

Plan: X-Factor/Atkins
Stats: 202/157/145 Male 173cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

I drink a lot of the golden circle diet drinks. But I also drink a lot of the Kmart Diet Lemon Crush is also made from sucralose (955). Lower carbs than the golden circle drinks. I usually buy some soda water or sparkling mineral water and mix half half. They're usually so sweet that I don't even notice the difference.

For protein powder, try your local health food store.

C
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 20:15

BF:

thats a really good idea, thanks C