Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 18:58

Plan: my own thing
Stats: 260/216/143 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 38%
Question Crushed Pork Rinds

One more question and that's it for today I promise

I read somewhere here that I can buy the crushed pork rinds at the regular supermarket...I'm going to safeway this morning...do you buy them in the chippies isle and what do they look like? Or are the like a deli thing? Are the dry like chips or are they more like bacon bits?

THANKS AGAIN !!!!
What a big help you guys are. So glad I found you!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 22:14
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hiya LC,

I haven't seen the crushed pork rinds, but have (finally) seen the ordinary ones. I just crush 'em myself. The ones I buy - the only ones I've ever seen - are Pork Krackles, made by Gold Medal Snacks. I have only seen them very recently, and in fact of the two supermarkets (both Coles) I frequent, only one has them. They were with the chippies at first, but are now with the nuts. They are in a pinkish packet.

It may be worth ringing a few supermarkets to see if they have them.

And they are dry like chips. Make quite a good snack - particularly if you dip them into a yummy dip.

Feel free to ask as many questions as you like! How else will you find out stuff? Someone here will be able to help.

Roz
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-23-03, 02:43

BF:

Hi Rosebud,
You have been such a big help to me! I do have more questions lol but I'll check what I can find in the archives before I ask them.
I looked up the whole chippies isle twice at Safeway today and was not able to find them. I'll take your suggestion and check out Coles, hey I might even try Bi Lo and IGA too!
I'm looking forward to trying your idea of dipping them. I was wanting them for a recipe this week.
Thanks again!
Talk to you soon no doubt! Have a great night! DVD's all night for us!
Tanya (LC)
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 04:30
Registered Member

Plan: X-Factor/Atkins
Stats: 202/157/145 Male 173cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Hi Tanya

Not all safeways have Pork Krackles. The ones, off the top of my head, where I have found them are the Aswood Safeway and Forest Hill Safeway. I'm sure I've seen them elsewhere too.

My fav dip to go with Pork Krackles are the Yumi range of dips. Low carb and yummy. My favourite is the Eggplant and Egg Salad.

c
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 15:15

BF:

oh goody, thanks for sharing that! I can't wait to check out those dips. I was wondering which ones are most popular to LCers.
My next door neighbour is the Deli Manager at Forest Hill Safeway (even though we live miles away) maybe she could have a look for me. Specially seeing as I'm doing her a favour today ;o) .
THANKS C!

lcaussie
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 17:36

Plan: paleo
Stats: 145/145/114 Female 161
BF:
Progress: 0%

they're also at the safeway in preston, on plenty rd. i sometimes find them at the coles in northcote plaza.

my favorite dip is the yumi tuna one, mmmmmmmm.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-02-03, 19:18

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 268.4/207.9/154 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 53%

ok,,this is my top tip dip,,,,,, mix a whole can of JOHN WEST tuna fish spread (in a can, found in the vegemite and pecks paste isle,,, not near the tuna) and add to it half a container of philadelphia cheese spread (spreadable one) whip till light and fluffly.
If you like tuna you will just die for this dip,,,dont tell everyone its a family recipe,,,LOL
this one is for you casval!!
ENJOY
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 17:07
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 238/194/176 Male 170 cm
BF:
Progress: 71%

Hi all....You should find pork rind in almost any Asian food shop..well thats where I buy mine..It's a very popular snack sold by street vendors in the Philippines who spice it with chillied vinegar..
Take care .....John.....