Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-31-03, 08:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 166/155.5/135
BF:
Progress: 34%
Default Lipolysis testing strips (LTS)

Do you use lipolysis testing strips(Ketostix, Lipostix)?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-31-03, 08:20

Stats: 221.5/210.0/150.0
BF:
Progress: 16%

I'm wondering about this too.

I have been losing weight, but don't know if I'm actually "in ketosis"...do you always get "ketosis breath", etc.

How reliable are the strips?
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-31-03, 08:43

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 179/134/135
BF:
Progress: 102%

I use them on occassion, but certainly don't rely upon them too much. They're just another tool to help measure progress. If you're losing weight or inches, I wouldn't worry about what some test strips say. They aren't 100% reliable. I've lost when they tested negative & haven't lost sometimes when they tested positive, so... However, they are helpful in determining if you've reached that magical goal ketosis. Make sure you buy a package that hasn't expired & is factory sealed if you decide to try them. They're available at any pharmacy, just ask the pharmacist as often times they're not on the shelf. Store them tightly sealed & don't remove the package of descatin from the bottle. Remember to drink at least 64oz of water daily because dehydration can cause a false positive, as can testing directly after a high fat meal. Any color change means you're there, so don't focus on how dark your result is; you're either in ketosis or you're not. A darker color doesn't mean more rapid loss. While they're a valuable tool, a tape measure & scale are much more accurate.
God Bless,
Amy-Lynne
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-31-03, 23:30
Hello

Plan: Modified Ketogenic
Stats: 182/180/145 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 5%

I test once a day using ketostix. I am almost always pink, which is encouraging to me, and it's really a fun psychological boost when I get a purple reading!

Amy-Lynne is right that the tape measure and scale are better ways to measure your progress in general, but I love the little motivational reward of seeing the color change. It helps me to stay encouraged, especially when carbs are calling my name!!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-31-03, 23:58

Stats: 168/139/120
BF:36%/29%/18%
Progress: 60%
Default Ketostix Queen !!!

I go nowhere without my Ketostix (just kidding). At the beginning I used them a couple of times a day, and not nearly as much after my first week. I had a BIIIGGGGGGG slip-up today, so it is back to the Ketostix until I get all these carbs out of my system.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 00:12

Stats: 169/154.5/147
BF:26/23.7/21
Progress: 66%

I don't get the keto breath or the strange taste in my mouth. I do get very strong smelling urine first thing in the AM

I like to test once midday, it's just one more thing that keeps me accountable and the stix are cheap, about 6.50 cdn for 50.